Dec/Jan Airfare high compared to last year?

CantWait08

Checking out airfare for our Jan cruise on the Breeze and finding air to be almost double what it was for our cruise this past Jan. What are you finding? Any airfare tricks or tips?

Airfares are up everywhere and according to the industry are expected to continue to rise. This is a result of fewer planes and high fuel prices. Do not expect any relief, in fact expect them tot continue to climb.

Expect to never see the fares you have paid in the past again. A 25% - 50% increase will be common.

I usually fly Southwest because they are usually cheaper , years past they book 330 days out, now they are only booking through November 2nd , ran some comparison rates for that date and they were higher than several other carriers. Ran our dates (April 13th return April 21rst '13) St. Louis to Miami and ended up booking a round trip on AA for $314.00 a person round trip. I may or may not of got it cheaper had I waited ,but I am ok with the price and the piece of mind it is booked . Ans yes I understand that there will be baggage charges involved also .

It seems that SW prices have gone up since they merged with Airtran. Now that those low cost carriers have no competition here, the other carriers are upping theirs... what a load of crap... Personally, I will probably have to stop cruising... cant afford to pay 4 or 5 hundred bucks for ticket... especially if I want to do a quickie weekender.. just not worth it to pay more for air and for the cruise itself...

It seems that SW prices have gone up since they merged with Airtran. Now that those low cost carriers have no competition here, the other carriers are upping theirs... what a load of crap... Personally, I will probably have to stop cruising... cant afford to pay 4 or 5 hundred bucks for ticket... especially if I want to do a quickie weekender.. just not worth it to pay more for air and for the cruise itself...

Sadly, I think we have paid as much for airfare as the cruise almost every time we have cruised. So...it will only get worse for us! That's why we book interiors!!!!!!:):):)

I know many of us Canucks fly from US airports - at a great savings. I have looked many times to fly out of either Plattsburg or Burlington - but the times were not convenient and sometimes just as expensive as big carriers. The other downside I can see about smaller airlines are a lack of "backup aircraft" should something mechanical go wrong. Flying a larger airline gives me peace of mind. Having said that, I know many people have no issues - and have a few extra $$$ for spending elsewhere :)

Have you tried Albany? It's a longer drive, but straightforward. The airport is right off of the Northway (I-87) and many reasonable hotels nearby.

Checking out airfare for our Jan cruise on the Breeze and finding air to be almost double what it was for our cruise this past Jan. What are you finding? Any airfare tricks or tips?

I just booked our airfare for Feb. 1st. This year we flew into Orlando and drove to Tampa for our Jan. cruise. Next year we will do the same and drive to Miami. Airfare was slightly lower for our 2013 cruise than what I paid for this year on JetBlue which is our preferred airline. We have a non-stop from Burlington to Orlando which is consistently ontime and has a good track record even in the winter up here. It was the airfare home from San Juan that made the trip expensive. That's what we get for booking a repositioning cruise ;)

Have you tried Albany? It's a longer drive, but straightforward. The airport is right off of the Northway (I-87) and many reasonable hotels nearby.

Thanks for the tip :) I have looked into Albany - but I guess the extra drive and hotel were 2 reasons we opted to go with Air Canada. The prices for last March were not too bad - and both direct flights. Same for our trip this year.

I know many of us Canucks fly from US airports - at a great savings. I have looked many times to fly out of either Plattsburg or Burlington - but the times were not convenient and sometimes just as expensive as big carriers. The other downside I can see about smaller airlines are a lack of "backup aircraft" should something mechanical go wrong. Flying a larger airline gives me peace of mind. Having said that, I know many people have no issues - and have a few extra $$$ for spending elsewhere :)

That's one of the reasons we always fly JetBlue. We know the night before if the plane made it in from Orlando and if the plane makes it in it most always takes off on time. DH works at the BTV airport and tells me all the time how unreliable some of the other carriers are. We are also flying in on 2/1 for our 2/3 cruise giving us plenty of time in case of issues.

I had to stay in a hotel overnight the night after my cruise to get a decent airfare last March airfare was so high. The lowest fare was late that night I dimembarked and they wanted $330 plus tax to fly from Tampa to DFW. (yes thats one way)

I sure hope its not worse next year as I have 5 I need to book airfare for :(

I did get the SW card, and they charge $99 but give you quite a bit of free miles on your anniversary .. there is a cheaper fee card too, with less miles on your anniversary.

My card gave me enough miles for 3 flights if I stayed the night that time. Im trying to only charge on that card right now to get another free flight by next year.

the one out of san juan next year, Im crosssing my fingers

Five cruises next year...Can you say jealous. Enjoy them all as the weeks we are on the ships go so fast.

Archived