Why the itinerary change on Celebrity TAs?

ShibaInuMom

We have sailed Celebrity the last 3 years crossing the Atlantic on their TA cruises. Solstice, Equinox, and Eclipse all had itineraries that included several nights (usually 5 or 6 ports) in Europe before coming over to Florida. What happened. They now cross over and have several port stops in the Caribbean. What a let down! What's your opinions?:o

Trying to attract Europeans vs Americans.

Which is amazing because, if you read European newspapers, the economies of many nations are on the verge of collapse, and the Euro will be virtually worthless in less than 2 years.

On leaving Europe in the fall, they now are scheduling a direct crossing of the Atlantic followed by a few Caribbean islands which might be experiencing some nicer weather than what they are leaving behind. It is more appealing to European cruisers than starting with a few ports closer to their homes that they could easily visit without a cruise.

I have taken 3 westbound TA's and enjoyed the ports and sea days.

I have booked a 2013 TA that crosses from Rome and has 2 Carribbean Island stops on the return. I am really looking forward to it. Lots of sea days and a taste of warm weather before I head north to a cold winter:).

The westbound TA on the Equinox in November 2013 will have three ports in Spain, one is Lisbon Portugal and one in the Canary Islands.

I would not like non-European ports on a TA primarily due to the cost for the flights to Europe. If i wanted a Caribbean cruise I would have booked it.

We have sailed Celebrity the last 3 years crossing the Atlantic on their TA cruises. Solstice, Equinox, and Eclipse all had itineraries that included several nights (usually 5 or 6 ports) in Europe before coming over to Florida. What happened. They now cross over and have several port stops in the Caribbean. What a let down! What's your opinions?:o

I'm not sure what you mean. This is the TA line-up I see from Celebrity's website. I actually like the choices. The trouble for me is going to be which one to choose from. :D

Infinity October TA Departing from Harwich, England; La Rochelle, France; Gijon, Spain; Vigo, Spain; Lisbon, Portugal; Nassau, Bahamas; Miami, Florida (5 European ports; 1 token Caribbean)

Reflection November TA Departing from Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy; Tenerife, Canary Islands; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Tortola, B.V.I.; Miami, Florida (okay, the Reflection definitely makes a beeline down south, you're right about that :p )

Silhouette December TA Departing from Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy; Florence, Italy; Provence (Toulon), France; Barcelona, Spain; Tenerife, Canary Islands; Fort Lauderdale, Florida (but no Caribbean here)

Constellation November TA Departing from Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy; Naples, Italy; Cagliari,sardinia,italy; Malaga, Spain; Tenerife, Canary Islands; Fort Lauderdale, Florida (nor here, either, and I must say this itinerary looks pretty exciting to me!)

Eclipse November TA Departing from Southampton, England; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Nassau, Bahamas; Fort Lauderdale, Florida (I guess we could call the Eclipse and the Reflection twins separated at birth with their respective warm water itineraries)

Equinox November TA Departing from Barcelona, Spain; Cartagena, Spain; Malaga, Spain; Seville (Cadiz), Spain; Lisbon, Portugal; Tenerife, Canary Islands; Fort Lauderdale, Florida (another lovely and traditional TA itinerary here)

I like it very much. Did the TA last year and weather was horrible for the most part. These new routes combine many sea days with a hint of the Caribbean at the end.

We are from Europe and it attracts us definetly.

I for one would never fly to Europe just to end up doing ports in the Caribbean but I guess X is trying to attract European customers to the TAs. The Eclipse itinerary is a good example as many Brits use that TA to go back to their winter homes in Florida from their homes in the UK. (And take the eastbound TA in the spring to return)

I would not book a TA that stops in the Caribbean. I live in Florida and can go to the Caribbean anytime. I went on a TA Eastbound on the Equinox in April that included 5 ports in Europe. It was great-an easy way to see a little of Europe. I hope Celebrity changes the schedule for the future. The new schedule may appeal more to Europeans,but probably not for the large number of passengers who cruise from FL on the TA's.

I am so very glad to see this topic discussed. A much-shortened transatlantic itinerary calling only on Nassau, St. Martin and the oft-crowded St. Thomas is like a hot dog without mustard (or a pizza aboard Constellation).

I understand costs very well. I appreciate "X's" need to maximize profits and seek new markets. I also concur that what-with the economic disarray in Europe, a plethora of new cruisers from that marketplace might not come to reality.

It is true that, excepting "the Queen," most transatlantics are merely re-positioning voyages (or to take Perry Grant back to the UK!) Yet, these cruises seem to have a healthy following. Our journey on Connie that left Ft. Lauderdale on May 5 was almost sold out. And our crossings on Holland America sailed with the "No Vacancy" sign lit in 2011.

I am hopeful "X" will revisit this matter soon. Of course, it will require the motivation of our vociferous opinions and ships that sail well-below capacity.

Smooth sailing to All!

Which is amazing because, if you read European newspapers, the economies of many nations are on the verge of collapse, and the Euro will be virtually worthless in less than 2 years.[/quote Can I just note that not all Europeans are in the Eurozone thank you. The US economy is not exactly buoyant either. So really we are all in the same boat (pun intended) and dln929 has pointed out there are enough varied intineraries to suit everyone. Personally having to choose between Spain and St Martin in Nov/Dec is a no brainer.

Actually, these itineraries offer some good options for those who enjoy longer back to back cruises. You can couple a European cruise with the crossing and also get a few days to relax in the warm Caribbean.

Hank

Actually, these itineraries offer some good options for those who enjoy longer back to back cruises. You can couple a European cruise with the crossing and also get a few days to relax in the warm Caribbean.

Hank

So, it also works well for those who are retired and have a month to travel.

This is our first crossing on Celebrity and we only picked it because of the combination of price and itinerary with 5 European ports between Civitavecchia and Ft L (although it looks like Genoa may be canceled since they have no Shore Excursions posted this year and it has been removed from the itinerary for 2013).

This may likely be our only TA on Celebrity.

We are due to go on our first ever cruise but have debated the idea for a few years. The only thing at the moment which would swing us towards a TA is the cheaper price (for us from the UK) and ending up in the Caribbean. I certainly would not want to use up my annual leave to visit Europe in winter which I can do on long weekends with budget flights. Also the euro for us in the UK using GBP is very expensive meaning we get less for our £££. I recently visited Rome in winter and spent a total of £250 per person for a long weekend would cost me more than this on a cruise.

So, it also works well for those who are retired and have a month to travel.

This is our first crossing on Celebrity and we only picked it because of the combination of price and itinerary with 5 European ports between Civitavecchia and Ft L (although it looks like Genoa may be canceled since they have no Shore Excursions posted this year and it has been removed from the itinerary for 2013).

This may likely be our only TA on Celebrity.

I can find Shore Excursions for that sailing!! 16 of them actually!

I can find Shore Excursions for that sailing!! 16 of them actually!

I am on that sailing.....are you?

Where are you seeing 16 available shorex to book :confused:

When I log in to My Celebrity and go to manage my reservations and try to purchase a shore excursion for that sailing and the port of Genoa, it says there are none available for that port yet.

None of the others on our roll call of 200+ people have been able to book for Genoa yet, either.

I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record but it seems from this thread that others agree. Those of us who are travels from the US fly to Europe to a couple of days before the cruise leaves, then 5-6 ports in Europe (WOW that's 8-9 days of non-stop touring) so we can relax coming back home (to the US). This year we are doing the TA from Rome (third TA from that port) and sailing all the way to Galveston (home state of TX). We are excited to be trying RCL for the first time, and since it is coming all the way to TX we have more days on board. Looking forward to it. :)

I went on the main X home page to Plan and Book and picked the Dec 1 Silhouette sailing - chose the port and the tours popped up. Maybe they are just not open for booking yet? Yes I was booked on that sailing but switched it out to the Baltics:D

All other ports have shorex available to book except Genoa and there is concern on our roll call that X is possibly going to cancel Genoa.

I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record but it seems from this thread that others agree. Those of us who are travels from the US fly to Europe to a couple of days before the cruise leaves, then 5-6 ports in Europe (WOW that's 8-9 days of non-stop touring) so we can relax coming back home (to the US). This year we are doing the TA from Rome (third TA from that port) and sailing all the way to Galveston (home state of TX). We are excited to be trying RCL for the first time, and since it is coming all the way to TX we have more days on board. Looking forward to it. :)

I agree with you. A lot of X people who do many TA's agree with you, too. I guess it is offered to appeal to Europeans.

I wish we could get X to sail out of Galveston!

Celebrity, are you reading this? :)

• 2 weeks later...
Which is amazing because, if you read European newspapers, the economies of many nations are on the verge of collapse, and the Euro will be virtually worthless in less than 2 years.

The US Dollar isn't looking so good the way Helicopter Ben is printing money at the FED. I am sure we will have money to spend on cruises, no matter what the name.

We have been told by Celebrity reps that they read the Cruise Critic posts...maybe they will give this one a look. Happy Cruising!

Oooh! I hope they won't change anything! There are plenty of TA's to choose from...4 or 5 that still have stops in Europe.

Archived