please, I need help with anchorage

tighe

My wife just surprised me with a trip to Alaska in July:D (Wedding Anniversary). It will be two adults and two adventurous teens. We fly into Anchorage four days before cruise departs on 7/27. I need help with ideas as to what to do in or around Anchorage..."cruise tour" or independent venders ...what to see or do. And then how do we get to Seward. Usuallly, we plan these things months out not weeks out.:eek: Any input will be appreciated, thanks

My wife just surprised me with a trip to Alaska in July:D (Wedding Anniversary). It will be two adults and two adventurous teens. We fly into Anchorage four days before cruise departs on 7/27. I need help with ideas as to what to do in or around Anchorage..."cruise tour" or independent venders ...what to see or do. And then how do we get to Seward. Usuallly, we plan these things months out not weeks out.:eek: Any input will be appreciated, thanks

In your time- I would not spend the time in Anchorage, you have some other options, that I will suggest, then you are going to have to find out if these areas are of any interest to your group.

Depending on you actual arrival, you may be able to go to Denali Park- this does require 2 nights there. This is an area loaded with varied wildlife and scenery. Requires a shuttle bus to at least Eielson. http://www.nps.gov/dena

Tour Anchorage for a day, do a day trip to Whittier and a boat tour of Prince William Sound, loaded with glacier scenery. Another day do ice trekking at Matanuska with a look at Hatcher Pass, Independence Mine.

Third Drive to Homer, 2 nights, and have a look at the Kenai Peninsula, excellent fishing, nature. Fly in bear tours- CHECK peak viewing stats. Could also add a Prince William Sound boat tour out of Whittier.

To each of the above- going to Seward- drive or take the train. It is worthwhile to spend a night, but depending what else you include- you can compromise and load your activity prior to embarkment- NEVER be in any rush to get on an Alaska cruiseship. :) the jackpot for varied wildlife is a Kenai Fjords boat tour- you need 6 hours on the water. There is Seaveys Sled dog kennels, Alaska Sealife Center, Exit Glacier.

With a family you DO NOT want to consider a cruisetour, in my opinion. It will be the most restrictive option seeing the least. You have far more freedom with better use of time going independent.

If you end up with a car rental and drive to Seward- it has to be with Hertz. Expect a big expense, but split by use of 4 people, and the excellent use of time- don't think about it. :)

A benefit, is possible, especially if you do the two boat tours I mention, take the train etc would be to purchase coupon books which can offer you significant savings.

You have plenty of time, first I suggest you get the car rentals firmed up. Book anything you may use now, then easy to cancel, with your final plan.

For the last day and transfer from Anchorage to Seward, i would definitely suggest the train trasfer. Well worth the money. Some details on transfering from Anchorage to Seward in this post

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1643191

If you have a car rental, one day you could drive up to the Hatcher pass, it is about 2 hours north of Anchorage and the scenery for the last 30 minutes or so getting up to the pass is well worth it.

There are a few companies that offer tours, do a google search and you will find a few.

What ship are you sailing on ?

For the last day and transfer from Anchorage to Seward, i would definitely suggest the train trasfer. Well worth the money. Some details on transfering from Anchorage to Seward in this post

Totally disagree, Rent a car and drive. There are lots of neat places between Anchorage and Seward that you just wave at at whiz by if you take the train.

Don't know about costs as I never take or even consider the train but I would bet that it is also cheaper for 4 people with a car rental.

DON

I would rent a car and drive to Denali. It is easy driving and once at Denali take the Tundra Wilderness tour. You ahould see a lot of wildlife. Then drive back to Anchorage and take whatever transportation you have to Seward to the ship. The Old Seward highway is a beautiful trip in itself.

I would rent a car and drive to Denali. It is easy driving and once at Denali take the Tundra Wilderness tour. You ahould see a lot of wildlife. Then drive back to Anchorage and take whatever transportation you have to Seward to the ship. The Old Seward highway is a beautiful trip in itself.

I certainly do not agree on the Tundra Wilderness tour recommendation. I instead suggest the Eielson shuttle bus. goes further and is 1/3 the cost. For someone with a car, the TWT is a waste of money in my opinion.

Totally disagree, Rent a car and drive. There are lots of neat places between Anchorage and Seward that you just wave at at whiz by if you take the train.

Don't know about costs as I never take or even consider the train but I would bet that it is also cheaper for 4 people with a car rental.

DON

We met a number of people, both on the train and on our Kenai Fjords trip, who had come down on the train, who said they thought the train was much, much better than driving (which they had done in the past). I'm just saying . . .

We met a number of people, both on the train and on our Kenai Fjords trip, who had come down on the train, who said they thought the train was much, much better than driving (which they had done in the past). I'm just saying . . .

For every person who loves the train you'll find someone else who prefers the car. :>) I think it must be depend on your perspective, what part of the country you're from. Personally I don't think the scenery along the Parks Hwy is that spectacular; trees and mountains. So the advantage of the car is that I can stop at various places to make the trip interesting. I would be bored to tears on the train just looking at trees and mountains. But I'm from the Pacific Northwest so I have a different perspective. Other folks ooh and ahh over that scenery, whether they're in a train or car, so obviously the scenery is new and exciting to them.

Personally I LOVE driving the Richardson Hwy. I love the geology, the braided rivers, the ponds, and the view of several mountain ranges. But I've heard people say they were bored because there was too much scenery and not enough places to stop for activities.

Different strokes for different folks!

I think the most important thing for people to realize with the train is that you are restricted by it's limited schedule, and then restricted once you arrive since you are limited to hotel shuttles to get around. Other than that, enjoy your travels, whichever method you choose!

OK, here is my advice FWIW.

You have 4 days before the cruise. From the cruise timetables site, I see your cruise does not leave until 8pm.

So..assuming.day 4 is the day you go to Seward fro the cruise, here is what I suggest.

Rent a car. On day 4 you can drive to Seward (a straight drive is about 2.5 hrs) and stop along the way-there is a lot on the highway, so do some research on what's there. Once in Seward you can spend some time at the sea life center and looking around Seward before you board. (make sure you can drop off the car in Seward when you rent).

For the first 3 days, I would drive to Denali and plan on spending 2 nights. Take one day for the full tour as BQ suggested. It is well worth it.

On day 3, I would head to Anchorage. There is a lot to see in Anchorage-such as the Native heritage center, the Alaska zoo, the museum, you can drive to the mountains and go hiking at a number to trails, you can stay downtown and check out the tourist stuff and eat a nice dinner at one of many great restaurants. If you really want you can go to the movies.

Then the net day you drive to Seward and have a ball.

What train are you talking about??? It clearly sounds to me, it is Anchorage/Seward. This is EQUALLY good by road or train, and the benefit of the train, is using 2 for 1 coupons and not hefty car rental drop fees if one way. This is the most scenic run of the entire line. I took the train last year Seward/Anchorage after 2 days in Seward, 2 days in Anchorage, then the train to Fairbanks did another 2 1/2 weeks of touring. Flew Fairbanks/Anchorage. THEN returned to Seward with a car and did another 3 days of touring.

This is in NO comparism to Anchorage/Fairbanks by train. This train, really needs an added day of touring, the negative of being without your own transportation is significant for the many stops along the way and especially Denali Park. It too, can be a "good" option with 2 for 1 coupons and a lot of time.

For every person who loves the train you'll find someone else who prefers the car. :>) I think it must be depend on your perspective, what part of the country you're from. Personally I don't think the scenery along the Parks Hwy is that spectacular; trees and mountains. So the advantage of the car is that I can stop at various places to make the trip interesting. I would be bored to tears on the train just looking at trees and mountains. But I'm from the Pacific Northwest so I have a different perspective. Other folks ooh and ahh over that scenery, whether they're in a train or car, so obviously the scenery is new and exciting to them.

Personally I LOVE driving the Richardson Hwy. I love the geology, the braided rivers, the ponds, and the view of several mountain ranges. But I've heard people say they were bored because there was too much scenery and not enough places to stop for activities.

Different strokes for different folks!

I think the most important thing for people to realize with the train is that you are restricted by it's limited schedule, and then restricted once you arrive since you are limited to hotel shuttles to get around. Other than that, enjoy your travels, whichever method you choose!

I will speculate this reference by the poster is about Seward/Anchorage, which as you know- is a completely different run compared to Anchorage/Fairbanks.

I certainly do not agree on the Tundra Wilderness tour recommendation. I instead suggest the Eielson shuttle bus. goes further and is 1/3 the cost. For someone with a car, the TWT is a waste of money in my opinion.

Thank you for your opinion but I do not share it. Certainly if money is an object the Eielson shuttle may suffice. The 8 hour TWT is wonderful and going 60 miles into Denali was far enough for me. Since cars can only go the first 15 miles into the park there is little advantage to having a car for touring purposes in the park.

Thank you for your opinion but I do not share it. Certainly if money is an object the Eielson shuttle may suffice. The 8 hour TWT is wonderful and going 60 miles into Denali was far enough for me. Since cars can only go the first 15 miles into the park there is little advantage to having a car for touring purposes in the park.

Have you been on the Eielson shuttle bus?

The point was, if someone has a rental car with their touring, the shuttle bus works out extremely well as they can go on any bus they choose. People without a car, are limited in what their lodge transportation time is. The tour buses have lodge pick up schedules, making it more convenient for those without the car.

The TWT is triple the cost of the shuttle bus, going further to mile 66. It is well worth the time to see the excellent Eielson visitor center, if of interest.

First off... congratulations!!! We are spending 3 nights in Anchorage before our cruise on July 7. I'll be posting a review on the Princess Boards about our trip when we return. Hopefully I'll have some info to share before you leave!

As it stands

we land in Anchorage weds. evening and sail (RCI Radiance) friday at 8pm.

we have opted to stay the first night in A, rent a car and drive to Seward. along the way we are thinking about a raft trip and then visiting a wildlife center. once in Seward we will either fly to a glacier for dog sledding (bow-wow that is expensive!!!) or cruise to Prince William Sound. If there is time, we will see the marine life center, turn in the car and board the ship......

we still have some decisions to make but at least we know whats going on....thanks for all the insight and wisdom.

Now for the cruise excursions.....

What train are you talking about??? It clearly sounds to me, it is Anchorage/Seward. This is EQUALLY good by road or train, and the benefit of the train, is using 2 for 1 coupons and not hefty car rental drop fees if one way. This is the most scenic run of the entire line. I took the train last year Seward/Anchorage after 2 days in Seward, 2 days in Anchorage, then the train to Fairbanks did another 2 1/2 weeks of touring. Flew Fairbanks/Anchorage. THEN returned to Seward with a car and did another 3 days of touring.

This is in NO comparism to Anchorage/Fairbanks by train. This train, really needs an added day of touring, the negative of being without your own transportation is significant for the many stops along the way and especially Denali Park. It too, can be a "good" option with 2 for 1 coupons and a lot of time.

Yes, BQ, I was talking about the Anchorage to Seward train. We haven't been north yet, so I appreciate your information about the northbound train vs. car.

As it stands

we land in Anchorage weds. evening and sail (RCI Radiance) friday at 8pm.

we have opted to stay the first night in A, rent a car and drive to Seward. along the way we are thinking about a raft trip and then visiting a wildlife center. once in Seward we will either fly to a glacier for dog sledding (bow-wow that is expensive!!!) or cruise to Prince William Sound. If there is time, we will see the marine life center, turn in the car and board the ship......

we still have some decisions to make but at least we know whats going on....thanks for all the insight and wisdom.

Now for the cruise excursions.....

Just an FYI - the Prince William Sound cruises depart from Whittier, not Seward. The Kenai Fjords tours are Seward based. Either one is excellent.

Archived