Venice hotel one night post-cruise

Xoe

We end our Pacific Princess cruise at Venice on Tuesday November 20. Air connections are not good returning from VCE to SEA unless starting with a very early flight, and Princess says not to book anything earlier than 10:30, so I'm thinking of a hotel overnight near the airport that has shuttle service to the airport and also easy access into Venice for the rest of that day. I would then fly out at 6:30-7:00 am on Wednesday Nov. 21 and arrive back at Seattle by mid-afternoon that day.

Does anyone know of a hotel near the airport with very early (4:00 am) shuttle service to the airport? I'm hoping for a hotel that has shuttle service into Venice, if there is such a thing. Upon debarkation I would use the cruise line's transfer to the airport, use the hotel's shuttle to get my bags to the hotel, and head into Venice for the day.

Although I was in Venice several decades ago, I am starting from Square One on making these plans, so will be very appreciative of any help anyone can provide.

THANKS!

We have stayed twice at the Marriott Courtyard which is two minutes from the airport and have found it to be quite convenient. They have a shuttle to the airport but do not have one into Venice. There is a city bus that stops directly across the street from the hotel that takes you to Piazzale Roma, about a twenty minute ride, where you can either do a lot of walking to get to where you want to go or hop on a vaporetto and sail down the Grand Canal. Have fun!

I think it would make more sense to leave your bags at the left luggage office at Piazzale Roma for the day and only go to your hotel when you are ready to turn in for the night. You'll waste a lot of time and energy going out to the hotel and then back again.

Using the Left Luggage facility is a great suggestion.

If you don't have points for the Courtyard, the Titian is another hotel at the airport, less then a mile away. They have a shuttle if you tell them ahead of time, but for 1 mile a taxi will be affordable.

http://www.titianinn.com/en/venice-hotel/hotel-description.html

Great ideas. I'll check on the hotels you mention.

I like the idea of getting my bags to the airport hotel in the morning by means of the ship's transfer service because I am not clear how, at the end of the day, I would get from the left luggage location, with bags, to the hotel. It seems to me that if in the morning I started from the hotel, where my bags would be stored for the day, and used the advised means of transport to get into Venice, I'd have a better feel for what's involved with getting back to the hotel that evening.

So, this question: how would I get from the Piazzalle Roma left luggage office, bags in tow, to my airport hotel at the end of the day? I'll be traveling solo (my husband declines travel that requires long flights), so I'm seeking a plan that enables me to wander Venice in the most carefree way possible.

Is there any airport hotel that has shuttle service into Venice and back? In October 2010 a fellow traveler and I stayed at the Rome Airport Hilton after a Holy Land cruise, and the Hilton did have a scheduled shuttle into the heart of Rome which we used and appreciated greatly.

I greatly appreciate your help!

The airport is a 20 minute drive from Venice so hotels don't provide free transfers. (just like downtown Seattle hotels don't provide free shuttles to/from SeaTac)

When you collect your luggage at the end of the day, you can take a taxi to your aiport hotel for about 40E. Or if you want to save $$, you can take the ATVO express bus from PRoma to the airport for 5E, then have the hotel shuttle pick you up.

I thought that would be the answer, but wanted to be sure. I now appreciate even more, in retrospect, the Rome Airport Hilton's free bus to Capitoline Hill in Rome.

If anyone has other recommendations for hotels near the airport with easy connections for getting into Venice, please let me know. Both the Courtyard Marriott and the Titian look promising.

I second the Marriott idea. However, you do NOT need a shuttle at 4 AM--the airport doesn't even open until 5 at the earliest!

Using the ATVO bus is the cheapest, using a taxi is the most convenient. Really up to you and your budget.

We stayed in Venice for a few nights, then left our luggage at the hotel for the last day. At about 8PM, we collected the luggage and took Alilaguna from San Marco to the airport. Using a luggage cart, we walked from the pier to the terminal, then caught the shuttle for the 5 minute ride to the hotel. Worked well.

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza near the airport pre & post cruise and it was very good. http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/crowneplaza/hotels/us/en/quarto-daltino/vceqa/hoteldetail The hotel is a 10 min tsf from the airport and seems to be in the country (nice drive, great scenery). We walked under a kilometre to a small town and found wine for 1-3 Euro's:D The train station is RIGHT next to the hotel (no noise) and they sell tickets at the desk. We took the people mover post cruise to Plaza Roma, caught the train (direct - no tsfs) to the hotel, dropped our luggage and were back in Venice for the rest of day in about an hour. Used their airport shuttle the next am for our flight out.

I will have a 6:35 am flight out of Venice on 11/21 and was thinking I would need to be at the airport two hours before, i.e. by 4:30 am. I'm very glad to hear that's not true, and will now assume that arriving at VCE at 5:00 am is okay for a 6:35 flight out. Thank you so much, CathyCruises, for setting me straight on that!

I had been looking at Crowne Plaza and am glad to hear your recommendation, especially in terms of ease of getting from the dock to the hotel, and then back into Venice. The hotel's location right by the train station sounds advantageous. It is my hope that, like you, I can have most of the day in Venice once my bags are stored at my hotel. I'll check in detail on all 3 of these hotels.

As in the past, these message boards are being a godsend!

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza near the airport pre & post cruise and it was very good. http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/crowneplaza/hotels/us/en/quarto-daltino/vceqa/hoteldetail The hotel is a 10 min tsf from the airport and seems to be in the country (nice drive, great scenery). We walked under a kilometre to a small town and found wine for 1-3 Euro's:D The train station is RIGHT next to the hotel (no noise) and they sell tickets at the desk. We took the people mover post cruise to Plaza Roma, caught the train (direct - no tsfs) to the hotel, dropped our luggage and were back in Venice for the rest of day in about an hour. Used their airport shuttle the next am for our flight out.

This sounds like a good option, do you remember how much the train was into Venice and how often it ran?

This sounds like a good option, do you remember how much the train was into Venice and how often it ran?

The train tickets were very reasonable - 3-6 E (can't quite remember) you can get the tickets right at the hotel (Front Desk) going into Venice and they also give you a timetable to take with you so you can schedule your day. Just make sure that you know the correct stop to get off returning to the Hotel:D You can see the Hotel with the walkway to the train station - I think there are a few stairs to go up to the platform but should not be a problem with luggage. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Crowne+Plaza+Hotel+Venice+East,+Viale+della+Resistenza,+Quarto+d%27Altino,+Italy&hl=en&ll=45.574369,12.36581&spn=0.003383,0.008256&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=61.582079,135.263672&oq=crowne+plaza,+qua&t=h&hq=Crowne+Plaza+Hotel&hnear=Viale+della+Resistenza,+30020+Quarto+d%27Altino+Venezia,+Veneto,+Italy&z=18

duplicate??

Double check the time for your check in. I understood the airport was open 24 hours.

I know when we flew from Venice we had one of the longest waits ever..over an hour.

5 for a 6am flight would be tight IMHO

I have traveled solo in Venice and agree with eurocruiser. Leave your bags at the storage place right next to the People Mover in the Piazzale Roma and explore Venice all day. When you decide it is time to go to your hotel at the end of the day, retrieve your bags and take the bus (5 euros)to the airport and request the hotel shuttle to pick you up. I would not take the train with luggage because it is a bit of a hike from the Piazzale Roma where the cruise shuttle or the People Mover lets you off to the train station and you will need to cross a large bridge with your luggage. Also, I have heard warnings re stairs at the train stations.

Last fall I used the luggage storage when I spent four days in Venice solo before a cruise. I left my large piece at the luggage storage and packed everything I would need for those four days in my carryon. I will never again cart luggage across the bridges in Venice.

We took the bus from P.Roma to the Marriott and checked in and then took the bus from in front of the Marriott into Venice, walked around, had dinner and returned to the hotel. Very easy. The shuttle took us to the airport. It would make me nervous to not check into the hotel early.

I still am not getting a feel for how it'll work to use buses and/or trains in Venice with bags in tow. I live on an Island in Puget Sound and am not practiced in using buses/trains/subways etc., which is why I have leaned toward taking the cruise line's transport between the ship and the airport, then getting to my hotel (probably either Crowne Plaza or Courtyard Marriott) using the hotel shuttle, and then returning to Venice without bags.

In the past I have used subway systems in NYC, London, Paris, and Moscow, and other public transport in the UK, but not in recent years so am feeling like a neophyte. So, any and all ideas will be appreciated!

I still am not getting a feel for how it'll work to use buses and/or trains in Venice with bags in tow. I live on an Island in Puget Sound and am not practiced in using buses/trains/subways etc., which is why I have leaned toward taking the cruise line's transport between the ship and the airport, then getting to my hotel (probably either Crowne Plaza or Courtyard Marriott) using the hotel shuttle, and then returning to Venice without bags.

In the past I have used subway systems in NYC, London, Paris, and Moscow, and other public transport in the UK, but not in recent years so am feeling like a neophyte. So, any and all ideas will be appreciated!

I think your plan is the best one. It IS very hard to do Venice bags in tow.. been there done that.

With the generous help of you fellow cruisers with Venice experience, I am concluding that for myself, traveling solo (my husband dislikes air travel), it will be best to get from the ship to my airport hotel as early and directly as possible and then return to Venice by bus or train for the rest of the day.

So now, this question: is there a better way to get from the cruise ship dock to my airport hotel than using the cruise ship transfer to the airport, then the hotel shuttle to the hotel? I'll guess taxi is the fastest and most direct -- and also more expensive. If anyone knows costs for taxi, please let me know.

For a cruise in/out of Rome/Civitavecchia we had a group of 6 using Rome Cabs to get to the airport, and that worked wonderfully well and was reasonable in cost. It was arranged on the Cruise Critic roll call board for that trip. Maybe I should try posting there and see if anyone else is doing this -- although on a small ship (Pacific Princess) the board is not large.

THANKS!

It looks like you are trying to catch the American Airlines flight out at 6:35am. British Airways is a member of the same alliance as AA. There is a BA (with AA code share) flight that leaves at 12:35pm. It has two stops, like the 6:35 AA flight. Is there some reason why you aren't trying for this one? There are seats available (from what I can see).

There seems to be several "AA" flights from VCE that leave at 6:35am. One goes to Amsterdam, one to Munich, one to Frankfurt. All are actually different airlines but code-share with AA. One is really Air Dolomiti (Lufthansa commuter) to Munich, KLM CityHopper (KLM commuter) to AMS, and BMI (actually Lufthansa) to Frankfurt.

I suggest you take a look at the ITA software website (put the two words together and add .com) Plug in your dates and to-from and see what they come up with for you. ITA is the supplier for the front end engines for many of the airlines and websites you search on. Their own website is non-discriminatory - all airlines that subscribe are evaluated equally. You can find routings and airlines that you would have not thought of. You can't buy there, but you can get all the necessary details (routing codes, fare codes) and use them to buy your ticket. I use them all the time to find possible routings for frequent flyer tickets.

With the generous help of you fellow cruisers with Venice experience, I am concluding that for myself, traveling solo (my husband dislikes air travel), it will be best to get from the ship to my airport hotel as early and directly as possible and then return to Venice by bus or train for the rest of the day.

So now, this question: is there a better way to get from the cruise ship dock to my airport hotel than using the cruise ship transfer to the airport, then the hotel shuttle to the hotel? I'll guess taxi is the fastest and most direct -- and also more expensive. If anyone knows costs for taxi, please let me know.

For a cruise in/out of Rome/Civitavecchia we had a group of 6 using Rome Cabs to get to the airport, and that worked wonderfully well and was reasonable in cost. It was arranged on the Cruise Critic roll call board for that trip. Maybe I should try posting there and see if anyone else is doing this -- although on a small ship (Pacific Princess) the board is not large.

THANKS!

Usually the cruise ship transfer is the MOST expensive! We avoid them like the plague. You can take the ATVO bus from Piazzale Roma to the airport for a few euros, the the hotel shuttle. Or have you joined your Roll Call? What would be ideal is to team up with fellow passengers and share a water taxi (80-100 euros) or a land taxi (????) to make your last cruise day as easy as possible.

Sounds like there are quite a few of us solo women travellers.

Can you easily manage your luggage?

- if not, you can take a taxi from the pier to the airport for about 45E.

- if you can manage your luggage, take the People Mover from the Pier to Piazzale Roma (a monorail, 1E for 3 minute ride). At Piazzale Roma you can catch the ATVO airport express bus to Marco Polo. (5E for a 20 minute ride).

At the airport catch the hotel shuttle, check your bags, then take the shuttle back to the airport, and catch the ATVO back to Piazzale Roma.

The PRoma is next to the Grand Canal and there's a large vaporetto station there. Borrow a Rick Steves guide book from the library and copy the pages which outline the buildings and sights you see.

Another thought ....consider a hotel at Piazzale Roma. Try the Best Western Olimpia. It's only 20 minute to the airport. Staying at an airport hotel is only going to save you 15 minutes the morning of your flight so it doesn't seem worth the hassle.

The flights I'm contemplating for Nov. 21 are Delta, VCE-AMS 6:35-8:50, AMS-SEA 10:40-12:05 pm. I must get home that day (my husband and dog want me home for Thanksgiving!) and later outbound flights won't work.

I have not in the past used cruise ship transfers but was considering doing so this time, traveling solo and not knowing how disembarking a ship works at Venice. I've found a taxi transfer from the ship to the Crowne Plaza (or other airport hotel, or the airport) for 60 Euros for 1-3 people, so if I can find fellow-passengers with similar needs, that may work. Our roll call board is not very active thus far, perhaps because Pacific Princess is a small ship.

Slidergirl, thanks for the info about the ITA software resource. I've bookmarked it for future reference. I tried that and got a message that "VCE is not supported at this time" -- ?? -- perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I used Kayak, then went directly to Air France and Delta and KLM who are the only ones I've found that have SEA-ATH and VCE-SEA routes/schedules with only 1 stop each way that work with the ship's departure in Athens.

Again, THANK YOU! You CC'ers are proving to be my salvation for this particular part of my November travel challenge.

Your message came on the board while I was writing mine. We are almost neighbors -- you in Redmond, I on Whidbey.

I'll explore your ideas later -- I have Rick Steves' Venice (2009 edition from the library book sale) and will have a good look at his info, too.

I can manage my luggage on ordinary terrain, meaning fairly smooth surface and no hills. In Amsterdam I wagged my bags from a small hotel near Centraal Station to Viking Legend which was docked about a mile downriver. Not huge fun, but doable.

Again, thanks --

OP - VCE should have worked. I just used the one way part to look at flights you were mentioning. Once you said you were doing SEA-ATH -cruise- VCE-SEA, I plugged that in as "multi city". The first one, "Flight 1", put in "SEA" and "ATH" and your departure date. For the second one, "Flight 2", put in "VCE" and "SEA" and your departure date for that. It worked for me. The one thing that ITA shows me that there will be the occasional instance where the same airlines are using the same flights (aka code share) but one airline markets it cheaper than the other. It also offers a bunch of flight options that I don't see if I head to some other sites. It just helps me make a more informed decision on my flights.

Oh, the flight VCE-AMS for "Delta" at 6:35am is that same flight for AA. Looks like KLM CityHopper serves everyone as a commuter. I've taken them once, from Florence to Paris. Yep, it was a commuter plane, but service was just fine. Actually, it was better than what I get on commuter flights in the US.

Another flight leaves at 9:20am to AMS. You then take a KLM/Delta flight AMS-YVR (Vancouver) You would have a 3.5 hour layover in YVR before taking Delta (actually Horizon commuter) down to SEA. ITA shows same pricing as for the 6:35am flight setup. I don't know if that would help you or not, but it is an option to consider.

Archived