Venice hotel one night post-cruise

Xoe

clearly I need to spend more time with the ITA site. I must never have gotten to "Square One" because I wasn't seeing a place to ask for "multi city" as I do on other sites. Could you write down for me exactly what shows (url) when you are doing this search? -- itasoftware.com shows me lots of options and I think I've not yet gotten to where you were for your search.

The flights through Vancouver won't work because I'd end up missing the last shuttle that day from SeaTac to Whidbey Island. It gets complicated when you add in shuttle and ferry schedules once I'm back at SeaTac!

I'm now exploring staying at the Best Western Olimpia and spending the $$ for a taxi (either water or regudlar) to the airport early Wed. morning. It would give me a lot more time in Venice on Tuesday. Thanks to mapleleaves for that idea.

Staying near the Piazzale Roma will be much less hassle; between schlepping back & forth to the airport and waiting for buses and shuttles you'll waste 2 hrs of your day. Plus it's nice to have your room closeby should you want to return to your hotel and relax at some point during the day.

When you step off the People Mover, it will take about 2 minutes to walk to the Olimpia. Maybe 3. There is one bridge to cross but it's a small one over a 'side' canal. The hotel sits on this side canal. BTW, great price for Nov ! http://www.hotel-olimpia.com/

(we're looking at a family visit to Fort Casey next Sunday).

Mapleleaves, my German Shepherd Xoe (whose name is my board name) and I enjoy bluff walks at Ft. Casey -- we do that about once a week, sometimes more when the weather and views are fine.

I am liking this new plan: staying at the Hotel Olimpia and using a taxi (regular or water) for an early ride to the airport the next morning. Sounds/feels "right". I've exchanged e-mails with the hotel and it seems arranging an early taxi is no problem, and the price for their rooms is less than I'd expected -- yay for that!

Appreciation and huge thanks to all you CC'ers -- what a great resource.

Ft Casey would be a great place for walking the dogs. Zoey was the name of my rottie; my gsd was Willy. I have Marymoor and the slough so I can't complain about walking. But I will complain about the weather. Will summer ever arrive?

Which airline from Venice? We flew Delta. Our flight was at noon, going thru thru JFK after a 4 hr layover which became 6hrs. Your flight may be early but perhaps it has better connections.

Mapleleaves, my German Shepherd Xoe (whose name is my board name) and I enjoy bluff walks at Ft. Casey -- we do that about once a week, sometimes more when the weather and views are fine.

I am liking this new plan: staying at the Hotel Olimpia and using a taxi (regular or water) for an early ride to the airport the next morning. Sounds/feels "right". I've exchanged e-mails with the hotel and it seems arranging an early taxi is no problem, and the price for their rooms is less than I'd expected -- yay for that!

Appreciation and huge thanks to all you CC'ers -- what a great resource.

My guess is that a land taxi will be half the cost of a water taxi (and half the fun, but at that hour who cares?)

Mapleleaves: here's my air schedule:

Delta (operated by KLM CityHopper) lve VCE 6:35, arr AMS 8:50.

Layover 1 hr. 50 min.

Delta lve AMS 10:40 am, arr SEA 12:05.

It's a good schedule in terms of allowing time to shuttle from SeaTac to Whidbey, hopefully before the holiday ferry back-ups (although the shuttle gets priority boarding -- very helpful).

Marymoor is super; we've enjoyed stopping there after dog training seminars in Redmond in the past.

As to when/whether summer will arrive in the Pacific NW, who knows? At least our aquifers are getting recharged (an attempt to find the bright side).

CathyCruises: At 4:00 am I'll probably go for the cheapest taxi unless I find fellow-travelers who have a preference for the water taxi (which does sound like fun!).

Mapleleaves: here's my air schedule:

Delta (operated by KLM CityHopper) lve VCE 6:35, arr AMS 8:50.

Layover 1 hr. 50 min.

Delta lve AMS 10:40 am, arr SEA 12:05.

It's a good schedule in terms of allowing time to shuttle from SeaTac to Whidbey, hopefully before the holiday ferry back-ups (although the shuttle gets priority boarding -- very helpful).

Marymoor is super; we've enjoyed stopping there after dog training seminars in Redmond in the past.

As to when/whether summer will arrive in the Pacific NW, who knows? At least our aquifers are getting recharged (an attempt to find the bright side).

CathyCruises: At 4:00 am I'll probably go for the cheapest taxi unless I find fellow-travelers who have a preference for the water taxi (which does sound like fun!).

Again, double check the opening time at the counter. The airport may technically be open (i.e. not locked up) but what matters is what time the counters are manned. IIRC for our 6:50 AM flight they opened at 5 AM. No sense getting there any earlier than necessary. Also, I was able to use the kiosk to check in and scan our passports and get a boarding pass. That was way faster than waiting in line. Then the kiosk directed me to a certain counter # where I was able to drop the bags in one minute, then off to security. Good luck!

I really like your flight schedule, except for the early departure.:eek: Our trip home took 24 hrs. It was brutal.

I agree with Cathycruises to check on the ticket counter. I've read frequently on tripadvisor that the earliest ticket counter opening is 5am. Even the coffee shop doesn't open until 6am. Check with KLM, and ask on the venice forum of tripadvisor to see if a local might know.

Have a wonderful trip! I really enjoyed our Med cruise. Lots of great moments.

I'll check w/ the Trip Advisor Venice forum, also with KLM. No point sitting by an unattended Venice airport counter for 30 minutes in the wee hours of the morning!

It's important for me to find the best possible return air schedule after overseas travel. An early wake-up is a small price to pay because after brutal end-of-trip flights (long layovers or more than 1 stop), I'm likely to arrive home ill -- been there, done that, no thanks, no way to end an otherwise wonderful trip.

Next project is to find the best transport between the airport and the ship in Athens at the start of this cruise, when I fly into ATH at 2:25 pm on 11/8.

ONWARD!

I found the right "click" to get to the ITA site -- very helpful -- THANK YOU!

I'm glad you found the right "click". I've been using this site for ages, even back when the front end wasn't so "elegant." ITA used the people using the site as part of their testing pool for the product. Sure, you can't book on it, but you can find all that you could possibly want and need. You can get a detailed printout of the itinerary you found, complete with the needed codes and fare basis. Just use this when you make your reservations. Sorry that the later flight can't get back home in time for the ferry - for me, even an extra hour of sleep is always worth it!

Now, if you want help finding what seats on a flight will be the most tolerable, try seat guru. You'll have to look on the airline site to find what type of plane you have (like with Delta and there dozens of 757 permutations!) but you can see what are best seats, good seats, and seats to avoid.

Armed with these 2 sites, you can pretty much take charge of your flights.

I'm now booked at the Olimpia for my post-cruise night (off-season bargain price for a single room) and have all of your helpful information about getting from the ship to the hotel, and onward. The ITA flight site has become one of my favorites and will be used first for future travel planning.

Huge THANK YOUs!!

Archived