New to River Cruises, 1st Silly Question

Live4cruises

We are on the brink of canceling our 2013 sea cruise, and heading for the rivers. The trip we are seriously considering is from Budapest to Prague. On sea cruises, it's easy to look at a map and decide which side of the ship we prefer. Does anyone have any thoughts as to port or starboard for westbound Danube?

Thanks - more silly questions to come, no doubt.

we took our 1st river cruise last year and look forward to our next in November! Side of the boat has no bearing!! we only slept in our room! it is more fun to be topside or in the lounge with others to enjoy the scenery!!! Have fun! I like river vs. sea cruising better!!

IMO - I don't think there is any 'better' side as the river's are usually only a few hundred meters wide at most. If you are interested in viewing the scenery as you cruise go sit up front or topside. You'll have better views of both sides of the river from there rather than sitting in your cabin. Also the social aspect is better unless you are inviting lots of people into your cabin.

I agree that there is no good or bad side. The decision is usually tiny window only good for letting you know if it is night or day or getting a French balcony. Full balconies are new and relatively rare. Sometimes you sail up the right side and sometimes the left. And you are never far from shore. I am sure you will really enjoy your cruise. It is quite a bit different than ocean cruising and much more intimate.

We were on the starboard side top deck towards the front with a French balcony. Further back apparently there is more engine noise. We liked our location very much and agree the best views are on the sky deck but the view from the top deck of cabins is very good.

I wouldn't want to be on the lowest deck as friends told us it was quite confining.

That is a great River Cruise. You will be in ports most of the days , so no matter where your cabin is doesn't matter much. When not in porrt get up on the deck and you can see both sides of the river. ~Doris~

We're doing the reverse cruise next May on Viking Legend and were informed that this ship has new quieter engines. We're mid-ship so weren't particularly concerned anyway.

Everyone I know that's taken a river cruise has loved it. We're going with a tour group from our town and have tours in both Prague and Budapest included.

I agree with Dorisis, you spend so little time in your cabin it really doesn't matter where your cabin is. You're really only there to sleep and shower. We just took our 4th River Cruise (Basel to Amsterdam), we are almost never in our cabin. The only thing I do recommend is to stay on the 2nd or top level, the cabins down on the bottom are the same as the others, but you only have a window rather than a sliding door.

Have a great time

Archived