Packing stresses, ugh!

cawagner

Our last 8day cruise we all had our own suitcases, granted we brought more than we used, this time the 4 of us are sharing 2 big suitcases and 2 carryons but we are putting drinks in there and maybe some other things, we also have a garment bag for some stuff. I had figured what we will bring will fit, my oldest now has me convinced that it all won't fit :rolleyes: We dont have our SUV anymore where we can pile a bunch of luggage in the back and I don't want to economize so much on the packing that I forget something that I need. Does packing stress anyone else out as you get closer to actually putting everything in your suitcases?

Yes! I totally can relate! We sold our Suburban this year and have been stressed about packing every time we take a trip now! I start now by making a day by day list of clothes I will need, then I lay it out and cut what I can from there; I tend to always pack more than I end up wearing. Best of luck!

Yes, it kind of stresses me, as I always, always, always pack too much. :(

But, our next cruise we will be driving (hooray!) and not flying so I don't have to worry about taking too much. And we're going to do separate luggage for the separate parts of vacation. Some for the drive down and time spent in New Orleans, then some just for the cruise, so we won't have to take everything with us on the ship. I'm so looking forward to having less stress when packing this time. :)

No. Not really. I overpack and I don't care, but then again we drive to the port.

Are you talking about your bags not fitting in your vehicle? Do a trial run, with empty suitcases of course.

Good luck!

We drive to the port as well, we did do a "trial run" to see how many and which suitcases will fit, my oldest just thinks we cant get all our stuff in them, I was fine until he started to freak me out LOL

cawagner - Oh!

We take a lot of stuff. The suitcases get stuffed. I'm a big believer in rolling the clothes. I really think it gives you more room, and stuff the shoes.

You can do it! I know you can! ;)

4 days huh? Lucky you. Hope you all have a great time. :)

We fly, so I'm real careful about what we bring. I will only pay for one suitcase. We manage to get it all in with each of us with a carry on and one checked bag. It can be done if you really think about what you are bringing. You can wear shorts/jeans/pants more than once.

I always seem to work better under pressure and do not begin to actually pack until a day or two before we leave. Which means that I will be starting tomorrow or so since we leave here on Thursday. :eek: We are driving down to the Miami area from GA and it is just the two of us, so we should be able to get everything in the car. We, like most everyone else, apparently, always overpack. :rolleyes: Still, I am always afraid that I will forget something important, but going down a day early gives me an opportunity to run out and buy what I need if that happens.

This year, we will be driving to Key West for a couple of days after the cruise, so we will need a few extras for that, even though I will try to do some laundry on the ship before getting back to Miami.

Good luck with your packing, Cheryl. See y'all in a few days at our sailaway on the Valor! :D

This year with United charging 25 dollars per checked bag each way we decided we are doing carry on only. I figure even if we have to do a load of laundry one night on the ship its worth the 150 bucks. 12 cruises I have always packed in about 20 minutes the night before. What stress?

We fly, so I'm real careful about what we bring. I will only pay for one suitcase. We manage to get it all in with each of us with a carry on and one checked bag. It can be done if you really think about what you are bringing. You can wear shorts/jeans/pants more than once.

Yep ;) already planned on that, even at home as long as I dont get them dirty I do the same.

I am sure it can be done, just stressin a bit LOL:p

But, our next cruise we will be driving (hooray!) and not flying so I don't have to worry about taking too much. And we're going to do separate luggage for the separate parts of vacation. Some for the drive down and time spent in New Orleans, then some just for the cruise, so we won't have to take everything with us on the ship.

Great idea!

Not so much stressing but necessary extreme planning. We are taking an 11 night TA followed by 3 - 4 week land tour of Europe with a Eurail Pass. We will take 1 carry-on & a back pack each and do laundry several times along the way. I am struggling with finding the best multi-purpose items that work for both cruise & land tour. Fortunately I have some time to sort it out!:)

Our last 8day cruise we all had our own suitcases, granted we brought more than we used, this time the 4 of us are sharing 2 big suitcases and 2 carryons but we are putting drinks in there and maybe some other things, we also have a garment bag for some stuff. I had figured what we will bring will fit, my oldest now has me convinced that it all won't fit :rolleyes: We dont have our SUV anymore where we can pile a bunch of luggage in the back and I don't want to economize so much on the packing that I forget something that I need. Does packing stress anyone else out as you get closer to actually putting everything in your suitcases?

We always pack way too much. This Aug. everyone gets one bag and that is it! We will have a carry on but that will just have our soda and wine and such. I just don't like trying to carry it all up stairs and such to get off the ship.

I always seem to work better under pressure and do not begin to actually pack until a day or two before we leave. Which means that I will be starting tomorrow or so since we leave here on Thursday. :eek: We are driving down to the Miami area from GA and it is just the two of us, so we should be able to get everything in the car. We, like most everyone else, apparently, always overpack. :rolleyes: Still, I am always afraid that I will forget something important, but going down a day early gives me an opportunity to run out and buy what I need if that happens.

This year, we will be driving to Key West for a couple of days after the cruise, so we will need a few extras for that, even though I will try to do some laundry on the ship before getting back to Miami.

Good luck with your packing, Cheryl. See y'all in a few days at our sailaway on the Valor! :D

:D can't wait until I can get on the ship and just go aaahhhh!

Not so much stressing but necessary extreme planning. We are taking an 11 night TA followed by 3 - 4 week land tour of Europe with a Eurail Pass. We will take 1 carry-on & a back pack each and do laundry several times along the way. I am struggling with finding the best multi-purpose items that work for both cruise & land tour. Fortunately I have some time to sort it out!:)

:eek: Ok, you have something to stress about (more than me LOL) that sounds so exciting tho, you will have a blast!!

I make a list and keep it for future reference. That way, I know I still need to buy sunscreen and wine before we get on the ship (we travel all carryon, so I can't get it before we leave home), and that I do have my little first aid kit with full contents so that I don't have to go to the infirmary if my heartburn acts like nausea.

The added benefit is that my husband can just grab my list and pack for me if necessary!

I leave on July 1 for my cruise and yesterday, I took out one carry-on and put a few things in it. I have one of the upstairs guest rooms with all my clothes I am bringing in the empty closet and on the bed. I was just thinking last night that I just might eliminate some of this because it is way too much. Don't have to worry about plane fare as we are in New Orleans, but still I know it is way to much to bring. I think going on a cruise is more stressful packing :eek: than a land vacation :). I don't do laundry on a cruise (maybe I should though). I am one who whenever I get back from a vacation, I have quite a bit that I didn't even wear :rolleyes:.

Hi Cheryl,

Have a safe, wonderful trip. Don't let the packing stress get to ya too much.

My wife & I always pack the night before. We only cruise B2B's. So as

you can imagine, there is plenty of luggage.

1 small suitcase just for shoes, 2 large suitcases for our clothing,

1 garment bag, & 1 small suitcase with a lil' bit of my wife's overflow of clothing in it,

with a lot of space left to bring home things we buy on holiday.

We make pack night a fun adventure, and typically takes 5 hrs. That

being said, my (list making) starts many many months prior to the vacation, lol

I love pack night!

(PS) - I do keep a duffel bag in a closet that I use to hoard things away

for holiday. We never (buy) things the night before, we only pack the

night before.

Again, have a terrific vacation!!!

:)

Mostly stressing out about the wine in our respective suitcases that will get handled by TSA in a few hours:( It's packed in big ziplock plastic bags and stuffed in cardboard wine rolls... so maybe... just maybe our Malbec will make it to Seattle ok. I do expect the TSA to search my bag again though. Don't know what they see on those scans that is so interesting all the time.

Go buy some smaller soft sided bags, that can be smashed, squished, etc. It is much easier to get them in the car. Since you are driving what difference does it make if you have 4 bags or 10?

Go buy some smaller soft sided bags, that can be smashed, squished, etc. It is much easier to get them in the car. Since you are driving what difference does it make if you have 4 bags or 10?

Well its a matter of getting them in the trunk and part of the back seat, now that we have a smaller car and 4 people going...well you get the idea on the space issue but I think we are going to do 2 large suitcases, 1 carryon and our garment bag in the trunk and then 2 carryons in the backseat (one will have our wine, water and a few soda's) I think we will be ok....i hope LOL

We are cruising on the Liberty Saturday. This year we are only taking one my Expedition for all 7 of us. There is NO trunk area in an Expo so I have threatened everyone that their luggage will be at their feet if they pack to much.

Once it is time to go, you will shove it where ever it will go. :D

Well its a matter of getting them in the trunk and part of the back seat, now that we have a smaller car and 4 people going...well you get the idea on the space issue but I think we are going to do 2 large suitcases, 1 carryon and our garment bag in the trunk and then 2 carryons in the backseat (one will have our wine, water and a few soda's) I think we will be ok....i hope LOL

All of the packing professionals say to get smaller bags that are squishy. They can be packed in a trunk much tighter than big suitcases. Think about how much more you could get in the trunk if it were not in suitcases at all.

Archived