Info please re MIA, POM and Hotels

barb-ottawa

We are flying into MIA on Nov 3rd, the day before our cruise. Are we better off staying closer to the airport or closer to the POM? Which hotels offer shuttle service from MIA? I'm guessing that hotels that are close to the airport offer shuttle service and that hotels that are close to the POM may offer shuttle services to the port - correct? So I would appreciate thoughts about which would be better. We're not looking for nightlife, just a place for dinner, but it would be nice if there was something to see around the hotel. Also, if I have an early flight at MIA on our return. Do I need to arrange a car or can I get a cab quickly at the POM for a trip to the airport? I believe I've read that it will cost $25? Thanks for your help.

None of the downtown Miami hotels (closest to POM) offer either airport or POM shuttles -- but cabs are relatively cheap.

Airport hotels offer free shuttels from MIA to the hotel, but only a few of the budget places offer "free" shuttles to POM - La Quinta East is one that is popular on these boards.

What time of day do you arrive? Arriving late and just want a clean room and dinner - then airport hotels are fine. MIA Embassy Suites is popular - big rooms, great breakfast and free happy hour! :D Or check out hotels in the Blue Lagoon area (HAmpton Inn and Homewood Suites) with shopping and dining options within walking distance - taxi from these hotels to POM will run about $26+tip.

Arriving earlier and want to be closer to POM. Downtown hotels to check out include Doubletree, Marriott (serveral varieties) Hyatt and Intercontinental. Taxi from MIA will run about $25 and another $10-12 cab gets you to your ship the next day.

Arriving early and looking for nightlife, great dining and a wonderful beach - try the South Beach area of Miami Beach - about a $32 cab ride from MIA and another $15+ to POM the next day.

Good luck! :)

Thanks, John. What about cabs from the POM to MIA on our return? Are they readily available at the port?

Lots of cabs lined up waiting for passengers. Flat rate fare of $24+tip from POM to MIA. Good luck! :)

If you are getting in relatively early in the day then I would stay at one of the downtown Miami hotels. There are many to choose from.

As mentioned, Cabs are readily available. There are times where they are right there and sometimes you need to wait on a line. So, allow some time for that.

Keith

Archived