LOS room came to live during wind and kept us awake (movie)

Hello all,

I posted this in my review, but I want more reactions ;).

We ended up with some heavy winds at the end of our last cruise (May 28 LOS 5 Day W-Med), the ship was really rocking at some times…No problem, as we were on the lower decks, we did not really feel the motion.

However, our room (balcony state room deck6 6258) started making a clicking noise between the ceiling and the wall, this at a few locations…It kept us awake ALL night!

I filmed it, it does not sound very loud on the tape, but trust me it was loud enough and one of the locations the noise was coming from was above the bed.

At first we thought there was something in the drawers rolling on each other due to the rocking.

You can see on the tape, that I can actually stop the noise by applying pressure to the wall…So does this room need an overhaul?

Gr

You are right it does not seem to be loud, and you are very near it with your comera. To me this is fairly normal when a ship is in high winds. The ship has to be flexible to stand the movement it endures, therefore wind will find its way into space, and in turn be forced out of small crevices such as ceiling and wall panels, this is like a whistle sound. Sure it is not ideal when trying to sleep, but all part of the fun of cruising. So does the room need an overall, hard to say without seeing the whole room, could that panel be tighter, possible yes. Would it ruin my vacation, No, even a bad day on a ship is better than a good one at work.

Part of the cruise experience. I have stuffed bits of tissue paper in the crevices to stop the creaking. We also always take ear plugs with us on a cruise. That blocks out the noise quite well.

Nope, we did not call maintenance or try something else, for us out of three times on LOS this was the first time the room made a noise like that…Not my intention to complain about the room, my review should tell you that :).

Trust me it was loud enough to keep us awake, even my girl who is a very deep sleeper, the camera has a noise reduction…Compare it the constant clicking of a pc mouse but then 3 times every 2 seconds continuously right up your bed…Why don’t you ask if your other half’s would want to continuously click on a PC mouse next to you in bed tonight and see how well you fall asleep :D

if it was one click or other noise every 5 minutes, no problem but at that pace…I think a lot of screws need some tightening in that room :)

Part of the cruise experience. I have stuffed bits of tissue paper in the crevices to stop the creaking. We also always take ear plugs with us on a cruise. That blocks out the noise quite well.

Sounds like a good idea, guess the room attendant probably gives you some strange looks when he sees all the papers sticking up there :D

Nope, we did not call maintenance or try something else, for us out of three times on LOS this was the first time the room made a noise like that…Not my intention to complain about the room, my review should tell you that :).

I don't think it have been looked at as a complaint. That's what they are there for. Better to fix a small problem, rather than let it progress into a bigger problem.

Paul

Cabins are basically modular units, pre-fabricated construction and assembled, dropped in place and being part of larger inter-connecting sections ... subject to stresses & movements. Will it collapse or cause structural failure, very unlikely - had you called the front desk or maintenance, perhaps they have "solutions" as your stateroom isn't the only ones experiencing such on a ship of this size.

Perhaps a quick burst of WD-40 spray will "cure" it plus a good screwdriver or powered Philips-drill bit? Or, rubber spacers or shims.

It was our first night on the Voyager in the Med (out of Barcelona) that was the worst for us. Creaking, drawers slamming, the bathroom mirror came loose and banged, etc. We had gotten a very nice upgrade to the Royal Suite and you should have seen us running around in the middle of the night to make sure the pretty sculptures (including one right by my head in the bedroom) were GLUED/FASTENED to their bases. We pushed furniture up against the drawers wherever possible. The cabin looked like a train wreck the next day. The Captain blamed the rocking on all the newlyweds on board.

On our last night, there was fog and the fog horn blared for some time. I can guarantee you that there's no sleeping through that.

Archived