Tunnel at Whittier

framer

I thought some might be interested in seeing the tunnel we have to go through to get to Whittier. This is a one lane tunnel that shared with train, buses and cars.

tunnal3.jpg

tunnal2.jpg

tunnal1.jpg

:eek:framer

I thought some might be interested in seeing the tunnel we have to go through to get to Whittier. This is a one lane tunnel that shared with train, buses and cars.

tunnal3.jpg

tunnal2.jpg

tunnal1.jpg

:eek:framer

This picture brings back memories of our Alaska Cruise. We were on a Princess bus coming from the lodge, when we approached the tunnel there was a lot of traffic. A car got stuck in the tunnel and everyone had to wait for the car to be removed. The ship had to wait for us.

Wow! Even though I read the whole one way thing, still a little surprised how narrow it is. I've never been a fan of tunnels. Like bridges, they freak me out a bit. Thanks for the pic! Will be trying this tunnel out next year on our cruise. :eek:

I arrived by Army ship August 1957 & was amazed at the sight of Ice glaciers to my right & the same tunnel that I believe allowed only the train thru which took us to Fairbanks. After spending 2 winters in Alaska I have no desire to return even though my wife keeps asking to go.

Archived