I'm rethinking if I want a "Sunshine" ship in NJ?

I have been hoping big time for the first "Sunshine" ship to come up to NJ ever since I heard they were being built but I'm starting to rethink this. Don't get me wrong, they will be beautiful and awesome but I was just checking prices of the new NCL ship "Breakaway" and they are WAY HIGH. That has to be because its a new ship, I had no idea that was the result of having a new ship. If that is the case, I'll take Explorer to stay up here. Do you think the prices will be extremely high on the new ships? One thing I don't like about looking up prices on NCL is they have WAY to many cabin categories, its a bit confusing but it seemed the Breakaway was very expensive, but it seemed very high.

Take a look at the Allure and Oasis pricing and you will get your answer.

Considering that Explorer usually goes for more than most other ships (with the exclusion of the new ships) I would bet that if a Sunshine class was in NJ it would be VERY expensive to get on board, but would sail full each and every sailing.

Take a look at the Allure and Oasis pricing and you will get your answer.

Considering that Explorer usually goes for more than most other ships (with the exclusion of the new ships) I would bet that if a Sunshine class was in NJ it would be VERY expensive to get on board, but would sail full each and every sailing.

Totally agree, but look at it this way....you save on round trip airfare for the two of you. You also save Hotel expenses and meals if you fly down the day before.....

We did the Oasis this past September and the Allure this past March. The airfare and extra expenses added up to more than the cost of our cruise ticket.

I love the Explorer (sailed her 4 times)...but would be very excited to have a new ship in Bayonne.:o

Any new ship will initially sell at a premium but it's good news that NCL is bringing its newest ship (with added capacity) to NYC and also that Carnival is bringing a newer, larger ship (Carnival Splendor) to sail out of NYC year round. The lines still have to compete with each other to fill their cabins, so competition is a good thing.

With the understanding that Sunshine would initially sell at a premium, I still very much want it to come to Bayonne in place of Explorer! Also, I hope that when Sunshine comes out we might see a little bit of depression in the pricing of Oasis & Allure -- as happened with the Freedom Class pricing when Oasis came out. We'll see.

One thing I don't like about looking up prices on NCL is they have WAY to many cabin categories, its a bit confusing.

Have you looked at the list of categories on the Oasis twins?

And to answer your question, yes. You can expect higher prices with a brand new ship.

Have you looked at the list of categories on the Oasis twins?

And to answer your question, yes. You can expect higher prices with a brand new ship.

Yes, Oasis/Allure have a zillion cabin choices. Its almost hard to search through to what you really want when there are that many. Anyway thanks for the feedback. Don't get me wrong it would be INCREDIBLE to have a brand new ship up here. The extra premium I am not looking forward to because you can get amazing deals on Explorer. How long typically does this "new ship premium" last? Anyway I still hope we get one in NJ/NY but a higher price may be the end result.

Interestingly, we paid $1299/pp for an oceanview on the Silhouette's inaug Nov 6, 2011 sailing out of Bayonne. We ended up with a Guarantee Balcony for the same price prior to final payment and that was a 12-day cruise. We didn't find that to be terribly pricey and most of the cruises thereafter were reasonable too.

I'm anxious to see what transpires if there is a change of ship out of Bayonne. Maybe bringing the Brilliance up here next year is a test run, although we wouldn't be interested since it's one-way but would consider it if it was round-trip.

I have been hoping big time for the first "Sunshine" ship to come up to NJ ever since I heard they were being built but I'm starting to rethink this. Don't get me wrong, they will be beautiful and awesome but I was just checking prices of the new NCL ship "Breakaway" and they are WAY HIGH. That has to be because its a new ship, I had no idea that was the result of having a new ship. If that is the case, I'll take Explorer to stay up here. Do you think the prices will be extremely high on the new ships? One thing I don't like about looking up prices on NCL is they have WAY to many cabin categories, its a bit confusing but it seemed the Breakaway was very expensive, but it seemed very high.

Supply and demand pretty much control what the price the lines will charge for their cruises, and since a new ship usually attracts large numbers of cruisers, the price for cruising on them is invariably higher than the cost of cruising on an older ship. It is one of the consequences that you have to expect and it is pretty much a trade off that you can choose to accept or reject. Whether the prices can be described as "extremely" high depends on your point of view. Oasis and Allure are getting higher prices but most who sail on them indicate that the higher prices are worth it. I suspect that if the Sunshine project ships are considered to be innovative enough, enough people will be willing enough to pay those higher prices. If they are not, the prices will drop. Breakaway will be no different. The lines only charge what they believe the market will bear.

It seems logical to me that since NCL and Carnival are putting newer and bigger ships in the New York area, that RC will follow with a Sunshine class. And with the competition, perhaps the rates will not be too out of hand. I know, wishful thinking.

Anyone know when sunshine class is due to come out in 2014. Early or late in the year. We are looking to do a cruse out of liberty in 2014 and prices are good at moment to sail in march/April on explorer but not sure if we should hang on:confused:

We would like to see some new itineraries out of Bayonne. A new ship would make it a little more interesting but new ports would be wonderful.

I agree .... new itineraries ...

However, because these ships are so enormous, there are many docks that are unable to "accept" them.

I hope more of the ports around the world improve so more of these ships can go to more places.:)

Anyone know when sunshine class is due to come out in 2014. Early or late in the year. We are looking to do a cruse out of liberty in 2014 and prices are good at moment to sail in march/April on explorer but not sure if we should hang on:confused:

I believe the first "Sunshine" ship is due in the Fall of 2014 and the second in the Spring of 2015. That is all I know at this point, no firm date as we are very far away from the launch of these ships.

Hey another question for ya. When we hear the new "Sunshine" ship will be "enclosed" for colder weather what does that really mean? Pools will be enclosed? The whole top deck can't be enclosed right so what exactly does "enclosed" mean in this case? Thanks again for the help.

Hey another question for ya. When we hear the new "Sunshine" ship will be "enclosed" for colder weather what does that really mean? Pools will be enclosed? The whole top deck can't be enclosed right so what exactly does "enclosed" mean in this case? Thanks again for the help.

Nobody on here knows for sure. A good guess though (again, pure speculation) would be a retractable roof, like the one over the solarium on the Radiance Class ships.

Nobody on here knows for sure. A good guess though (again, pure speculation) would be a retractable roof, like the one over the solarium on the Radiance Class ships.

Ok thanks, that is what I should have said, what do you think that means. Speculation is what i was looking for. Thanks for the speculation.

On our last cruise we went to the C & A welcome get together and were told the first ship would be ready in Oct. of 2014. But nothing was said of where her home port would be.

And nothing will be said, until RCI makes an official announcement. They are quite good about maintaining security about such things. Anything else is most likely a rumor based on someone's theories. I think that some officers spread such rumors just to liven up the discussions, since most of them are in no position to be privy to this type of information so far in advance of the debut of the ships. :)

Trying to think back to the months and years preceding the arrival of Oasis and wonder if there was the same amount of secrecy and lack of information. I can't recall.

I do know they did have a big reveal for Oasis about 18 months before her inaugural sailings.

I am content to be patient until the end of the year to hear what RCI has to say about this new class of ship :)

Archived