Kindle or Nook

mominkaty

May not be the right place to post this, but we are leaving on the Magic in two weeks! Our first cruise and we've got an aft-wrap balcony. Know I'll spend some time on it reading. Typically take paperbacks when we vacation at the beach, but saw that one of the big book stores has a Nook Simple Touch for $79. Is is worth getting for the cruise or would a Kindle be better? Should we stick with paperback books that we can leave behind if they get wet/sandy, etc?

I love my Kindle3.

I also have a Fire but prefer my K3.

I took it with me on my last cruise & read on the beach/sun with no issue. I have no experience with Nooks so I can't say which would be best but my experience with Kindle and Amazon has been top notch.

Let me find the Beach/Reading pic & I will post it.

I just bought a regular Kindle 4 a few weeks ago ($79.00). I absolutely love it. All I wanted was a simple reading device and it more than fits the bill. I bought mine from Amazon but they have them right at Best Buy.

I love my Nook! I have the old style Nook and love it for sunny reading... have played with kindle fires from friends and jsut can't see them well in the bright sunlight. I have been wanting the Nook Simple Touch with the Glow Light for reading inb ed and not disturbing the sleeping DH!!!

I love my Kindle. Just bought a second one - I must have blown up my first one from over use! I actually had it for several years. Back in 2008 while on NCL I was laying by the pool reading my Kindle. I had several people ask me what I was reading and if they could take a peek at the Kindle. They had never seen one in person :D

May not be the right place to post this, but we are leaving on the Magic in two weeks! Our first cruise and we've got an aft-wrap balcony. Know I'll spend some time on it reading. Typically take paperbacks when we vacation at the beach, but saw that one of the big book stores has a Nook Simple Touch for $79. Is is worth getting for the cruise or would a Kindle be better? Should we stick with paperback books that we can leave behind if they get wet/sandy, etc?

If you google nook touch vs kindle there's a video you can watch that expains the differences, pros and cons, etc. It made me buy a Nook Touch.

I think the reading experience between Kindle and Nook are very similar. The one thing you want to make sure of is that you get the e-ink kind if you are going to be poolside/beachside reading in the sun. The ones that are backlit are great at night...but you will not be able to read outside in daylight.

I made my choice for Kindle because I prefer their customer service and, as another poster said, I like all my digital items in one place. I have an Audible account also, and I can send my Audiobooks right to my Kindle when I buy them, so it's convenient. I also have Amazon Prime, so I get access to a loaning library which is nice.

Also, if you buy an eink device and want to read at night, you can get covers with lights for both Kindle and Nook I believe. It's like those book lights that you can clip to your paperback, but it's tucked into your cover and you can pull it out to read at night. It runs off your battery.

Good luck choosing. I don't think you can make a wrong choice. It's great to have as many books as you want without having to pack them in your luggage. :)

Do others in your family or circle of friends have e-readers? If so, there are ways to borrow books from others, but it has to be on the same platform.

We are a Kindle family.

Not getting into the Nook v Kindle debate. There are considerations to think about.

Where are you going to do your reading? If inside the Kindle Fire or Nook Color are good and can also used like an iPad. These are hard to read out side because of glare but do not need any light to read at night.

The 'regular' Kindle and Nook are very easy to read outside but need a light source to read at night (just like a regular book).

Is weight a consideration? My Kindle Fire weighs a lot more than my Kindle Keyboard.

Both Kindle and Nook have apps to read on your smartphone.

Traveling abroad? DD is able to download onto her Kindle while studying in Italy. Do not know if Nook has this capability.

Go to a store and test drive the different readers. Our family likes the feel of the Kindle. My SIL prefers the Nook.

I love my Kindle Fire on cruises. I have 10 or so books on there, 500+ songs, and 2 long movies. Not to mention all the games and other apps. The real plus for me is the office app that allows me to type up review notes while Cass is getting ready.

Here are a couple of sites to get free books if you have a Kindle.

I know we're not suppoed to put links on here, but if one were to type kindlenationdaily and follow it with a little dot and then add com there are a plethora of free books on there. I have probably downloaded more than I'll ever be able to read.

go to the little arrow on the "Best Deals" tab and it will take you to ALL of them or you can sort to a specific genre.

I get emailed each day from www.ereaderiq.com/.

They let you choose what type of books you like. What I like about that site is I mouse over the book cover, and a pop up comes up that tells the plot. If I click on the book cover itself, it take me to a seperate window to Amazon, where I can download it.

Melanie

Get the iPad and download the Kindle & Nook apps for free. Have the best of both worlds..

iPad is LED though...how does it do in the sun? Also, I like eink because I'm on a computer all day, so it's easier for my eyes...but a tablet is definitely convenient for a lot of things.

I LOVE my Nook Simple Touch. I knew that I wanted the e-ink over the color readers. I read at a computer all day and I hate it.

I picked the Nook last summer because it was the only one at the time that had library capabilities. Now both Nook and Kindle do.

I am loading up my Nook with library books for our trip this summer and cannot wait to only have to pack my Nook instead of 4 books.

love my kindle keyboard 3g...since barnes and noble closed all my bookstores, i will NOT get anything from them...i also find more variety (and more free books) available for the kindle!

I had the original NOOK and have since upgraded to the Nook Tablet. I have no problem reading in the sun with the tablet. Also, you can expand your storage on the NOOK, where as you can not on the Kindle. Prices for books are pretty comparable on both formats, not sure about apps. It really just comes down to personal preferance. Whichever you choose, enjoy your trip!!!

I prefer the nook because Kindle does not allow me to download and use free Epub files.

Or go to getjar.com and download the Barnes and Noble app. You can now get books from them that will work on your kindle if it is a Fire.

I have a Nook Color and absolutly love it! I have no problem reading in the sun and I love the fact that I can take my memory card out of my camera and put it in my Nook and download all my pics to it.

Nook tablet all the way! I love the Barnes and Noble customer service. I have been out to my local store for help several times. They always were very helpful. I have even mastered getting library books too .

My Nook friends also have books to lend too. I really enjoy my Words with Friends App too!

I'm picking up the nook with glow light today! I am so excited, because I wanted an e-reader so I can see outside, but I like the idea of having the glow light so I can read at night before bed. I had the original nook for years, but when we went on our last cruise (two weeks ago) I forgot to carry it on and it got crushed. :mad: At least it gave me an excuse to buy this one!

Archived