Best place to stay in Fort Lauderdale ?

TheMastodon

Never been out of Ft. Lauderdale before, and looking for a good place to stay the night before our cruise. Are there any hotels right by the cruise port that have good views of the ships, the ocean, etc?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

I like the Embassy Suites. It is a clean hotel. Staff is pleasant. There is a nice pool area. In addition, there is an Manager's Reception each night that includes "free" drinks and snacks - chips, pretzels, and nuts. In the morning they offer a complimentary full breakfast - eggs, bacon, sausage, juices, toasts, fruits, coffee, cereal and danish.

The location is great - right near a shopping center, a grocery store. The Sun Trolly has a stop near by. They offer a shuttle service to the port.

Never been out of Ft. Lauderdale before, and looking for a good place to stay the night before our cruise. Are there any hotels right by the cruise port that have good views of the ships, the ocean, etc?

We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel close to the Port, maybe 10 minutes they also have a shuttle to the port. It was a very nice room, big and clean. The Hotel Staff was very nice and helpful.

The best place to stay is Embassy Suites on 17th St.

Shuttle from airport to hotel

Shuttle from hotel to cruiseport

Free breakfast/free cocktail party.

Great hotel

EVERYTHING is right there. No need to rent a car for the day..

MANY restaurants, bars, last minute shopping, dollar store, Ross store, food stores, liquor stores....Starbucks...EVERYTHING.

The ride from the airport is 5 minutes and the ride to the cruise port is 5 minutes.

You'll pay a little extra and there's no free shuttle but we like Lago Mar. It's near the port but across the 17th Street Bridge right on the ocean. It's close enough to the breachway to have a great view of the ships leaving port. Great facilities and outstanding service. Beach, pool, pool bar, full restaurant, sandwich bar, small general store and a small diner. Anything else is just a cab ride away. You won't find it on any discount hotel websites but they do have AAA discounts.

Lago Mar

We are on the same sailing with you. We usually book the Embassy Suites but when we checked they were too expensive for that week so we are staying at the Reneiassance. It is in the same area.

I agree w SPDbigG, Lago Mar rocks. We booked a beachfront suite as a treat and were not disappointed. The hotel is small enough to feel intimate but large enough to have great amenaties. Their beach is just great too. Absolutely first class.

We stayed at the Harbor Beach Marriott. Although you couldn't see the port, you could see all the ships coming in and out of the port. It was fun to watch them sail into port and try to pick out our room!. It's pretty pricey and I wasn't too thrilled with the service.

The Hilton is RIGHT at the port but when we stayed there, we didn't even have a view at all. I'm not sure if there are any actual views from there. Maybe in some of the rooms.

We want to watch the ships leave though on Saturday, anything thats right there?

Ok...you have the Hyatt pier 66 and the Hilton Marina.

Now...the problem is

1. Very Expensive

2..They will not guarantee you a room high enough and on the side of the hotel that you want to be.

This is what EVERYONE wants.

We stayed in the Hilton Marina and booked one year in advance. Payed top dollar and requested high up (you have to be able to see over a bridge) and facing the pier.

No Go. Nothing available...

All of the hotels on 17th St. are within walking distance to the bridge that you can stand on and watch all of the ships leave at 5 o'clock.

You shouldn't be basing your stay on seeing the ships. IMO. unless this is what is most important to you..:o

The best place to stay is Embassy Suites on 17th St.

Shuttle from airport to hotel

Shuttle from hotel to cruiseport

Free breakfast/free cocktail party.

Great hotel

EVERYTHING is right there. No need to rent a car for the day..

MANY restaurants, bars, last minute shopping, dollar store, Ross store, food stores, liquor stores....Starbucks...EVERYTHING.

The ride from the airport is 5 minutes and the ride to the cruise port is 5 minutes.

I didn't realize the Embassy had a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. I heard they had one from the hotel to the port, $7.pp I think.

Have to check it out.

Thanks for all the info, I can now make a more educated decision. Was hoping to find somewhere that I could sit on a balcony and watch the ships leave but this could be an issue. As long as we can walk there and grab a drink and watch we will be happy.

Ok...you have the Hyatt pier 66 and the Hilton Marina.

Now...the problem is

1. Very Expensive

2..They will not guarantee you a room high enough and on the side of the hotel that you want to be.

This is what EVERYONE wants.

We stayed in the Hilton Marina and booked one year in advance. Payed top dollar and requested high up (you have to be able to see over a bridge) and facing the pier.

No Go. Nothing available...

All of the hotels on 17th St. are within walking distance to the bridge that you can stand on and watch all of the ships leave at 5 o'clock.

You shouldn't be basing your stay on seeing the ships. IMO. unless this is what is most important to you..:o

I recently booked the Hyatt Pier 66 for next April at a $143 AAA rate which is lower than some of the 3 star hotels in the area :)

Never stayed there before but we thought we would try it.

I recently booked the Hyatt Pier 66 for next April at a $143 AAA rate which is lower than some of the 3 star hotels in the area :)

Never stayed there before but we thought we would try it.

Good deal..Don't expect one of those great rooms though.

(I will keep my fingers crossed for you):o

Good deal..Don't expect one of those great rooms though.

(I will keep my fingers crossed for you):o

My reservation is for a first floor - marina room. I wasn't looking for a room on a high floor with panoramic views of the port ;)

Although tower upgrades are being offered for $19 on a standby basis now. And the ability to cancel is available up to 72 hours prior to arrival.

Its all good :D

I didn't realize the Embassy had a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. I heard they had one from the hotel to the port, $7.pp I think.

Have to check it out.

they do not any longer...unless it too, is a pay shuttle...i see nothing about an airport shuttle as a free service, but i may have missed it.

http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/embassy-suites-fort-lauderdale-17th-street-FLLSOES/about/index.html

they do not any longer...unless it too, is a pay shuttle...i see nothing about an airport shuttle as a free service, but i may have missed it.

You are correct, megr. Shuttle service to and from the Embassy is a paid service. So if two or more riders, I would use a cab and save the hassle of shuttles and pay the flat fee rather than the per person rate. ESPECIALLY to the port in the morning.

You are correct, megr. Shuttle service to and from the Embassy is a paid service. So if two or more riders, I would use a cab and save the hassle of shuttles and pay the flat fee rather than the per person rate. ESPECIALLY to the port in the morning.

When we were leaving the Embassy Suites last Sat. we asked for a taxi and they said one was leaving right now and they put us in a shuttle instead before we realized what was happening. The others in the shuttle had signed up for the deal with the hotel. We ended up paying $7pp - there were 3 of us - so might have been cheaper to take a taxi but it is fast and convenient so we didn't care.

We ate at Dough Boys across the street from the hotel (by Subway) - very good food with large portions to share.

Hi we are a younger group(mid 20s and early 30s) looking for something fun on the beach before we sail on Liberty. Any suggestions? We ARE NOT 5 StAR kinda people..lol maybe 3 star? maybe? haha. We would like something close to the pier or the airport so we arent spendin a ton of money on transportation or a hotel on the beach with a shuttle either from the airport or from the hotel to the pier(both would be even better). We used to stay at the Howard Johnson back in the old days. Then the bahia mar i think. Last time we stayed in Hollywood but thats kind of a hike if i remember correctly. Any suggestions for us?

Archived