Key West Beaches

Haven't got an answer on the port of call side so thought i would ask here.

Anyone know which beach in key west is good for swimming, has washrooms, restaurant/bar?

Have read about southern most beach and ft zachary but not sure if they have the above?

Thanks

Haven't got an answer on the port of call side so thought i would ask here.

Anyone know which beach in key west is good for swimming, has washrooms, restaurant/bar?

Have read about southern most beach and ft zachary but not sure if they have the above?

Thanks

Ft Zach has a cafe - not sure you can get wine/beer/liquor there, but otherwise has a full menu. There are also bathrooms and shower facilities. You can rent loungers w/ umbrellas - 2 for $30 for the day - as well.

It is BEAUTIFUL there! Peaceful. And the water is warm and BLUE!

The beach sand is rough - not silky white-sand beach sand, but very much mixed with shells, rocks, coral. Wear some water shoes or even flip flops and you'll be fine.

Here are a few pics from our visit there in April

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

We had rented bikes for our time on Key West (which I highly recommend!!) and we did ride by Higgs Beach. It was bigger and more open, and there was a restaurant nearby, but I'm not sure about any facilities. It was pretty there, too.

No beach at Southernmost. Perhaps you are thinking of Smathers? We didn't make it that far but I hear great things about it. Next time!

A good friend of mine who used to live in Key West has told me that beaches are big misconception about the place. She maintains that very few of the beaches are worth visiting and the ones that are, are just "ok" as beaches go.

A good friend of mine who used to live in Key West has told me that beaches are big misconception about the place. She maintains that very few of the beaches are worth visiting and the ones that are, are just "ok" as beaches go.

I'm from South Florida and I have to agree, they're terrible. The most fun things to do are either to go out on a snorkle boat (gorgeous reefs off the Keys) or rent scooters and run around the island and sight see.

Mindy

Been to both the beaches near the fort and the one on the South side on the island. Don't know the names of the beaches... Do bring water shoes... Some places are very rocky. They are okay as far as beaches go. Hubby and I rented a "small" sail boat there which made it fun. Been to Key West many times and for Florida beaches they hardly rank in the top 50 in my book.... But if you are doing "other" activities then it may be okay.

I thought I read there was a public beach out front of southern most beach cafe?

Thanks

I look it up on Google Maps. Found the place you are talking about. I only know of two "public beaches". That's Smathers beach and Fort Zachery. Those are the both I have been too.

I agree with the other posters. Don't waste your time in KW at the beach. I have two favorite things I did in KW. Visit the butterfly conservatory, especially if you have kids in tow. The food hilight of the trip was not one but two visits to the Cuban Coffee Queen. Best cuban sandwich I've ever had. Best iced coffee I've ever had. No indoor seating and a little bit of a wait for the food which is totally worth it.

I look it up on Google Maps. Found the place you are talking about. I only know of two "public beaches". That's Smathers beach and Fort Zachery. Those are the both I have been too.

This is what you are referring too, not much of a beach and has lots of seaweed, we stayed in KW for a week, it's better to do water activities, fishing, parasailing, party boat, Fury is good.

232323232%7Ffp53258%3Enu%3D3%3A%3B8%3E534%3E23%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3253%3A5%3A9%3B%3A32%3Bnu0mrj

This is what you are referring too, not much of a beach and has lots of seaweed, we stayed in KW for a week, it's better to do water activities, fishing, parasailing, party boat, Fury is good.

I don't think I have been to that beach. But, I agree. I have been going to Key West off and on since I was a kid. Stayed there for about two weeks once. So a lot to do in Key West, not sure how much you can do when visiting by cruise ship. But I wouldn't waste time going to the beaches...

Frankly have been there by cruise ship, sail boat, car, and private plane. :) I think when we have been there on a cruise we just walked around town and had a drink at a "favorite" bar/restaurant we go to.

That would be my thoughts after seeing the beaches. I used to live in S. Florida and drove to Key West a few times .. but I do love Key West and think its a lot of fun .. just not a place for beaches. What is it .. 3 1/2 miles across and up and down.. not that big.

When we were in Key West we went to the beach at the southern most point. It is a small beach, there is a beach bar which serves food and drinks, and they have bathrooms that you can change in. There is someone there to rent beach chairs for $5 and $10 for an umbrella, there were also a few hammocks to rent for $10. As the other posters commented the beach is not nice, the sand is rough and this water was FULL of seaweed, so not so nice for swimming. We walked to this beach from the ship.

You could go over to Higgs Beach which is just next to the Casa Maina about 1.5 miles from the port. Tropical Watersports rents chairs and umbrellas there,

609752992_kENKV-M.jpg

609751630_o2Hzp-M.jpg

The nice thing here is that in addition to the beach there is also the White Street pier and the botanical garden in the West Martello Tower, one of my favorite places in Key West...

609752578_gWFyU-M.jpg

And just on the edge of the beach is a restaurant, Salute which is open in front to the beach.

Pjk

This. KW is not known for their beaches....

I worked in Key West back in 2000. A Cat 1 hurricane hit the island and washed away a lot of the beach on the South side.

The local ready mix concrete company used a lot of dump trucks and their sand to re-build the beach.

Archived