Kaykaking in Ketchikan:

SEPyle

Just booked today for this tour with Southeast Sea Kayaks. I actually called to book the Pennock Paddling Adventure for my 25 year old daughter. We have tour saver books so I was going to book, knowing she would surely find someone to go with her for only $40. I spoke to a very nice lady and when I mentioned that I would love to go, however I have a shoulder problem. She convinced me they would put me with a guide or someone with strong arms! I also mentioned that I'm not twiggy, and she assured me I won't have any problems. SO: Am I crazy????

Anyone have experience with this tour??? Oh yes, and also an answer to the above question?

Thanks!

Sharon

We did this tour last year and loved it. There were 9 people in our group and two guides. One guide shared a kayak with a child, the other was alone. If they say that a guide will be willing to paddle for you, I would believe it. The guides are enthusiastic and have strong arms! My favorite part of the trip was the actual paddling (it was easier than I expected), but I'm sure just being along for the ride would be fun, too.

I can speak to kayaking in general: on the guided tour you'll almost surely be in a 2- or 3-man kayak. They don't go mega-fast. So I agree with the lady you spoke with; some good paddler can pull your weight, no problem.

More importantly, on the paddle stroke: if you're even using your rotator cuff that much (I'm assuming your shoulder problem is rotator cuff), you're doing it wrong anyway. You're supposed to be rotating your torso to kayak paddle. Newbies kayak with their arms all the time, and they tire out real quick.

Hi, we too booked a kayaking trip with Southeast Seas going to orca cove. We also want to do flight over the Misty Fjord. Would anyone recommend this company?

Reading these boards, I have noticed that everyone loves Michelle with Island Wings. I spoke with Michelle's assistant and they do have availability in the afternoon.

We also would like to have time to walk around and take in the sights on Creek Street.

Southeast Seas Kayaking will pick us up at the pier at 9:00 and return us at 1:00. Island Wings will pick us up at 2:00 and return us at 4:00. The Princess Dawn leaves at 5:30.

Okay, Do you think it would be more time effective to go with one company??? Any advice welcomed! Thanks

Hi, we too booked a kayaking trip with Southeast Seas going to orca cove. We also want to do flight over the Misty Fjord. Would anyone recommend this company?

Reading these boards, I have noticed that everyone loves Michelle with Island Wings. I spoke with Michelle's assistant and they do have availability in the afternoon.

We also would like to have time to walk around and take in the sights on Creek Street.

Southeast Seas Kayaking will pick us up at the pier at 9:00 and return us at 1:00. Island Wings will pick us up at 2:00 and return us at 4:00. The Princess Dawn leaves at 5:30.

Okay, Do you think it would be more time effective to go with one company??? Any advice welcomed! Thanks

This is a great choice. :)

Thanks as always for good advice and a shot of confidence thrown in to boot! Actually my shoulder isn't rotator cuff. Let's put it this way. Don't ever let a dog jump in the air while you're holding on for dear life. I went flying into the gutter landing on my shoulder. Let's just say besides the break at the base of the ball part, there were breaks all across the top of the round part - called a communited (sp) fracture-kinda like an egg, after you tap the top to eat out of an egg cup. I will be able to do a little rowing, but will need that strong guide, that's for sure!

OK, now for the other question: How hard is it to get in and out of the Kayak??? We went out with good (?):D friends tonight and they said my husband is to take plenty of pics!

But you know what...I'm going to go for it. The way I look at it, you only live once and I plan on having the time of my life!

Thanks as always for everyone's feedback!

Sharon

Getting in and out of the kayak is probably the "hardest" part, and it's not that bad at all. Watch a few others do it first. The guides will hold the kayak, and let you hold on to them for balance if you need it. I have a feeling I "rolled" onto the dock to get out, but no one noticed or laughed at me, so I'm sure you will be fine :)

Getting in and out of the kayak is probably the "hardest" part, and it's not that bad at all. Watch a few others do it first. The guides will hold the kayak, and let you hold on to them for balance if you need it. I have a feeling I "rolled" onto the dock to get out, but no one noticed or laughed at me, so I'm sure you will be fine :)

Yep- EXCELLENT description- I've done plenty of "rolling". :)

The only part of the above description that may not hold true for me is the: "but no one noticed or laughed at me, so I'm sure you will be fine:) " Last night our friends made my husband promice to take pictures of me doing that exact part of my adventure! Oh well, I will have fun, and I will most probably be laughing as well! Booking this excursion has me so excited!

Thanks Jessica and Budget Queen for an accurate description of the Kayak roll!

Sharon

We just went to WallyWorld and bought a couple Argus 35mm Camera's with zoom lens. I read on another post where someone ruined a camera by getting it wet. I know the chances are slim, but since this is our first port we just didn't want to take that chance. So we'll keep the digital on the ship and have fun with one's that aren't thow away, but at $15.97, the worse part would be losing the pictures on the Kayak tour.

By the way. Others have mentioned doing the longer kayak trip with Southeast Sea Kayaks. Has anyone done the shorter 2 1/2 hour one? Ketchikan is our shortest port of call, so I didn't want to use the whole time for kayaking. Any feedback on the Pennock Paddling Adventure?

Sharon

Pennock tour is just shorter and not as scenic as explained to me by the folks at Southeast.. We've been to Alaska 5 times already so are doing the longer Orca Cove trip since don't mind not having time in town on a short port call.. If you want some time to go to Creek St., etc. shorter one is better. Give them a call or email and they will work with you on that....

Oh, Sharon....that was a good picture that CruiseisGood posted. I think we can do it...I think we can do it....I think we can do it.....LOL :D

Rolling out of the kayak.....you go first, Sharon....I'll follow your lead.....after I take a few pictures of course :eek: :p

I think we can do it.....ad infinitum.....

Sharon,

I will be there with the videocamera.

In case everything goes wrong at least you have a contribution to America's funniest homevideos :D

What time does your kayak trip start ?

TTYL

Thomas

Thomas, it's not so much when it starts as it is when it ends....and if we're still alive, dry, smiling, all in one piece.....you get the picture!!

Good idea.....America's Funniest Home Videos.......sure glad I'm Canadian.....I don't qualify......and even if I do....I won't believe it, LOL :D

You concentrate on Sharon.....she'll be much funnier looking than me, trust me...:p

Oh dear, I didn't think of anyone but Donald that I had to control with a camara! Joyce, we're in trouble! Our fun begins at 9:30am. What one are you on Thomas? Are you doing the short 2 1/2 hour one (like us) or are doing to BIG DADDY one??? If you're doing the short one and are on a different tour, just know that ours is going to be something to remember!:eek:

Have a super day!

Sharon

Sharon, Joyce

Our tour leaves already at 9 am . It is the Orca's Cove Kayaking Adventure and the trip is about 4 hours. But only 2.5 hours paddling.

Sorry, obviously I promised to much in view of the video. :mad:

Instead let's meet at the bar after the trip and exchange our cock-and-bull stories.

(Oh my, I looked that word up in the dictionary and hope that you have heard it before :rolleyes: )

Another proposal:

For that day you should consider an appointment for a massage at the spa to revive your arm and neck-muscles (tension relief) :D

Thomas

Joyce, Gosh that was a close one...Thomas will be long gone before we experience our first Kayak adventure!:D But we will sure take you up on the bar after our excursion! Remind me to tell you about the German guy we had working for us when I was with the Plastics company...he didn't know the meaning of that word either. Ummm, maybe that's why to this day he calls me his "naughty nosy American Mum!" Hey, he was working for us as a student intern...part of my job description was to help in settle into everyday American life!:p

Sharon

;) Big relief, LOL. And Don isn't allowed to go against his wife's testimony - or something like that - and he sure wouldn't want to embarass me, and Bethany is too polite a young lady to tell on her Mom and her Mom's friend....whew, I think we have all bases covered in the ' kayak kick-butt katastrophe' So we can look as silly as we like as we 'roll' out of the kayak and no one will be the wiser!!

Sorry I won't be joining anyone right after the kayaks....there are quilt, bead and H-D stores to rush to. Then it's the Bar to calm the nerves, LOL

Hope everyone is having a good evening! Chat later.....Joyce :D

ps...bought some waterproof cameras just in case I wanted to take some underwater pics while I turn upside down in the kayak.....hahaha.....maybe I'll face-to-face with a whale....sea lion...shrimp....something...anything!!!

Hope everyone is having a good evening! Chat later.....Joyce :D

ps...bought some waterproof cameras just in case I wanted to take some underwater pics while I turn upside down in the kayak.....hahaha.....maybe I'll face-to-face with a whale....sea lion...shrimp....something...anything!!!

Thanks Joyce for the great laugh...I hadn't even thought of that use for a waterproof camara. Can you imagine the poor whale...he would be pretty shocked wouldn't he.:eek:

Joyce, I hate to burst your bubble, but you need to ask Sharon about getting out of the water the first time we snorkeled at Saphire Beach. It was Bethany's sugestion that I take a couple of pictures!

I also agree that we should compare stories afterwards at the bar. I will probably need at least one double scotch.

See all of you soon,

Don

Oh for the memories...and thank goodness he didn't remember about the zoom lens!;) Now when we go to Saphire Beach, I know to get out of the water AWAY from where the coral comes right up to the beach edge!

Sharon

Archived