Antarctica: Pack my camera bag for me!

Shawnino

There have been rumors floating around for a few months that Nikon was going to introduce an 18-300mm VR lens. I just got the official announcement from B&H, though the lens is not yet available.

For this trip, it may be a good substitute for my 18-200....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/872407-REG/Nikon_AF_S_DX_18_300mm_f_3_5_5_6G.html

Saw that, Turtles. Looks like it won't be that much more expensive than 18-200, so if trade-up is your style it shouldn't be that bad. It will be rather heavier--and that's funny because that was kind of my original question (do I want to take the massive 200-400mm).

I will be interested to read what users think of the 18-300. Cameras are being made with more and more MP and I wonder if these zooms will be sharp enough for an 8" X 10" photo.

I'm more or less set now, I think. Two camera bodies, light laptop, external drive, tripod. Paraphenalia. 200-400mm with primes below. Thanks everybody.

Turtles06, thanks for bringing to our attention that new 18-300mm lens. I currently have the 18-200 (and love it), but have been considering updating to the 28-300 lens to go with my D700 body, since it is a full-frame lens (the 28-300 wasn't on the market at the time). Anyone have thoughts on whether to stick with a DX lens by going with the 18-300 or to switch to an FX lens by going with the 28-300? Relative advantages/disadvantages? I'm trying to make this decision in time for my next cruise in August.

Turtles06, thanks for bringing to our attention that new 18-300mm lens. I currently have the 18-200 (and love it), but have been considering updating to the 28-300 lens to go with my D700 body, since it is a full-frame lens (the 28-300 wasn't on the market at the time). Anyone have thoughts on whether to stick with a DX lens by going with the 18-300 or to switch to an FX lens by going with the 28-300? Relative advantages/disadvantages? I'm trying to make this decision in time for my next cruise in August.

I love my 18-200 also.

I don't have an FX body (my D7000 is DX), but I would still think that even on FX, the 28-300 may not be wide enough for you on the short end as a walking around/travel lens, which is (at least as I see it) the main reason for a lens like this. (On my DX camera, the 28-300 would absolutely not be wide enough on the short end, which is why I didn't see it as an option for me.) Of course, if you have a wide angle lens, and don't mind carrying both .... :)

BTW, unclear whether the new 18-300 will be available for your August cruise....

Not being an FX owner, I can't address the FX/DX lens comparison, but I assume some experts on here can! (You might want to pose your question on the photo discussion board, too.)

I love my 18-200 also.

I don't have an FX body (my D7000 is DX), but I would still think that even on FX, the 28-300 may not be wide enough for you on the short end as a walking around/travel lens, which is (at least as I see it) the main reason for a lens like this. (On my DX camera, the 28-300 would absolutely not be wide enough on the short end, which is why I didn't see it as an option for me.) Of course, if you have a wide angle lens, and don't mind carrying both .... :)

BTW, unclear whether the new 18-300 will be available for your August cruise....

Not being an FX owner, I can't address the FX/DX lens comparison, but I assume some experts on here can! (You might want to pose your question on the photo discussion board, too.)

I wanted to clarify one thing that I wrote above: PKE: on your FX camera, of course, the 28-300 will be a true 28mm on the short end as you know, and I've found that totally sufficient for me (my 18-200mm DX being about 27mm on the short end).

BTW, I read on another site this morning that the 18-300 is supposed to be available on June 28. With Nikon, though, who knows how "available' that will be... :)

Anyone have thoughts on whether to stick with a DX lens by going with the 18-300 or to switch to an FX lens by going with the 28-300? Relative advantages/disadvantages? I'm trying to make this decision in time for my next cruise in August.

I was just reading Ken Rockwell's thoughts on the new 18-300 DX lens (heavy! but we already knew that), and he says this for FX camera users about the 18-300:

Although the lens works fine on FX cameras, you'll only be using the small central part of your sensor, and your finder will black-out the sides. It's silly to use DX lenses on FX cameras.

Don't bother with this lens on FX; get the FX 28-300mm VR instead — and amazingly, the FX lens weighs a little less than this DX lens!

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-300mm.htm

Wow. I really appreciate the follow-up, Turtles! I do like to blow up photos to poster size to use as art, so I was beginning to lean towards the greater pixel saturation with the FX lens - so your input is very timely. I'll check out Rockwell's review as well. Thanks again!

Wow. I really appreciate the follow-up, Turtles! I do like to blow up photos to poster size to use as art, so I was beginning to lean towards the greater pixel saturation with the FX lens - so your input is very timely. I'll check out Rockwell's review as well. Thanks again!

Happy to help. Rockwell of course isn't an actual review yet, as the lens hasn't come out, but merely specs and thoughts.

BTW, I pulled the trigger today and pre-ordered the 18-300. :eek:

(It probably won't be truly available until well into July, and I can still change my mind...)

I have no doubt you will like it a lot. Congrats!

I've been shopping for the 28-300 and nobody has it. It's out of stock everywhere! So I placed a "ship when available" order with Adorama. It'll be fun to see whether your's shows up before mine. Keep me posted, and I'll do the same.

As an aside, Rockwell really gets my goat. I couldn't care less about his incessant begging for money or prattling about his children, but his bogus "reviews" of products he hasn't even seen are a joke. Can you imagine if people here started websites to review cruises they hadn't actually traveled on?

Can anyone address the carry-on situation from BA to Ushuaia that cougfan reports on from Santiago? I'm also scratching my head a little bit in re: checked baggage limits with thairlines (taking one airline to the US and another down to Argie). I can research the regular carriers quite easily but the charter is a mystery.

Hi Shawn,

I've looked further into the charter from BA to Ushuaia. The Expedition Guide that Lindblad has posted on its web site, accessible when you log on to your own account and booking (via myexpeditions.com), says that there is a limit of ONE carry on bag per person on the charter, weighing no more than 17.6 pounds. (At least, that's what is says for our trip. You should check your Guide.)

I called to ask about this and was told the weight limit is enforced, as Lindblad also stocks the plane with provisions for the expedition. I was also told that the limit does not include a purse, a camera on your shoulder, or a normal size camera bag.

In terms of checked bags on the charter, there's a limit of two per person, not exceeding a total weight of 66 pounds per person. Of course, I'd never put any of my camera equipment or other valuables in checked baggage. And then there's what to do with the Muck Boots...

Turtles--

that's really useful. Thank you. I'm going to have to do a fair bit of calling around before I go as I'm on one airline to get to NYC and a second to go from NYC to BA. 66 lbs. sounds like a ton so at least the charter leg looks to not be the bottleneck.

As to the boots, I'm going with the NEOS overboots with further strap-on Icers on the underside. They're pretty light and the canvas part of the ooverboot that comes up to one's knee just rolls right up.

The heaviest part of my camera equipment will be the 200-400mm lens and I've decided to roll with it. We'll see how much I use it. Birds-in-flight I'm thinking mostly as I hope to be up close with most everything else.

S

The heaviest part of my camera equipment will be the 200-400mm lens and I've decided to roll with it. We'll see how much I use it. Birds-in-flight I'm thinking mostly as I hope to be up close with most everything else.

There'll be more than birds in flight to occupy you with the 200-400. We had, for example, the spectacle of a leopard seal taking two penguins just off Port Lockroy. My 150-500 was more than useful, though not all would want to see the results! But that's life, and death, in the Antarctic.

On a less challenging note, there were penguins porpoising at a distance and several whales that all needed the extra length.

• 3 weeks later...
Turtles06, my 28-300mm lens was delivered to the office today. Can't wait to get it home and play with it! Any luck with your 18-300?

Just picked it up on Sunday! But of course work has gotten in the way of shooting. I hope to get out this weekend.

Glad your lens has arrived as well. Hope you enjoy it. Let us know!

Yay for Saturday. I was able to take my new Nikon 18-300 lens out for its first test this morning. Went to the zoo. Below is what I've posted over on the Photo Discussion board. The lens is pretty similar to my 18-200, but I definitely think the longer reach will be welcome in Antarctica. It certainly was at the zoo! :)

I picked up the lens last Sunday, but with work this week, I had no time to do any real shooting. I was determined to get out today (Sat.), weather permitting. It rained early, but fortunately stopped by around 8am. So I headed off to the zoo... (with my Nikon D7000).

After this initial shoot, my feeling about this lens is that it really is the "Big Sister" to the 18-200 (which I happen to love), and if you've been happy with that (or thinking about getting it), you'll likely be happy with the 18-300. I think the performance of the lens was similar to that of the 18-200, and I really appreciated having the extra reach. (It was a very dim day, so I didn't have a chance to test the lens in bright sunlight.) If you are going to be in situations where you don't want to be (or can't be) changing lenses, I think this lens is an option. (It is heavier than the 18-200 by about 9oz, as I knew from the specs. So be forewarned that it's a good deal to carry around.)

I can't compare this lens to the 55-300 or 70-300, since I don't own either.

This is a crop from an image taken at 300mm. The uncropped original image is below it; no post-processing in either. (I was a good distance away from this cat! :))

Tiger_01.jpg

18-300Test671_01.jpg

• 2 months later...
As an aside, Rockwell really gets my goat. I couldn't care less about his incessant begging for money or prattling about his children, but his bogus "reviews" of products he hasn't even seen are a joke. Can you imagine if people here started websites to review cruises they hadn't actually traveled on?

He also has some really odd ideas. I've just bought a Canon 5D MarkIII and, searching around, found some of his advice on using it. Advice like don't bother using the high resolution settings...?

Archived