Why is there so much complaining?

Kaboochi

Cruises to me are a wonderful way to explore south of the US. For the most part service, food, etc are wonderful. Once in a while there is a "burp"' but does not ruin my trip. Why do I read so many complaints?

People, more frequently, share their negative experiences instead of the positives.

I'm with you on this. I don't let the little things bug me. That's a miserable way to live life!

Great post, and I wish more people would have the same attitude as you...We always try to have a good time, no matter what happens, and don't let little things get in our way....the more a person lets little things bother them, the worse they will feel.....every cloud has a silver lining......jmho

The only bad cruise is not going on a cruise at all. But then, they would still complain because they never went on a cruise. Either way, they'll complain just the same.

The cruise line industry should keep track of all the complainers over the years and offer "complainers cruises", reserved for complainers only. After all, misery loves company.:rolleyes:

But what about those unfortunate cruisers that had unedible food in all 10 restaurants for the entire cruise? You know, the ones that you saw eating chips and chocolate bars at every meal because the food that they were served would have killed them if they had tried it. They are the same ones that whenever they returned to their cabins it was clean but they never saw their steward once during the cruise and that was just not good enough. Didn't enjoy the foreign ports of call either cause most of the locals that they came into contact with did not speak english.

Don't these folks have a reason to complain? Just sayin.

Most people who complain are long time cruisers who have watched all the cutbacks and realize cruising is not the same as it was. We have all seen the cutbacks and anyone who isn't aware of them wears blinders.

Some of us who are not long time cruisers but have vacationed all our lives find cuising to be a great value for our vacation dollar. If people are so unhappy why don't they do a different vacation? We would. Just sayin.

We are very long time cruisers and had our knocks including being hit by a rogue wave, but we still cruise as often as we can and for as long as we can. Yes, there have been changes but they are all over the vacation industry. We all have less to spend and you get your best bang for the buck on a cruise.

On the first day of my cruise I discovered NCL had canceled one of our excursions, and rescheduled another so that I now held tickets for two excursions at the same time. This cost me a half hour of my day. We were also served almost completely raw meat (I promise, no exaggeration) in Moderno, twice.

I almost never let things get me angry or upset (outside of work, that is). And you know what? That half-hour represented 0.2% of my time aboard. And other than the raw meat, I've never eaten as well as I did aboard the Dawn. Some people may have chosen to allow these things to ruin their entire vacation. I don't even consider them worth remembering. I had an amazing time. If I wanted to be miserable and complain about what I eat, I can do that at home for free.

I was a little surprised to see this topic posted on the NCL board. I have recently booked a NCL cruise and started reading the NCL board. Let me tell you after the past several years on the Carnival board this is really a breath of fresh air! There is a huge difference in the whole tone of the board - not all of the nastiness, bickering, sarcasm & the taking complaining to a whole new level that goes on on the CCL board. It has really become unpleasant over there - even before the whole loyalty program debacle - but that really put it over the top! Thanks for a more civilized place to discuss our favorite topic.

Most people who complain are long time cruisers who have watched all the cutbacks and realize cruising is not the same as it was. We have all seen the cutbacks and anyone who isn't aware of them wears blinders.

I guess if you don't care for the cut backs, cruise a luxury All-inclusive line like Crystal, Silverseas or on the cruise ship Europa. Pay 5 times more. The options are still availiable.

I was a little surprised to see this topic posted on the NCL board. I have recently booked a NCL cruise and started reading the NCL board. Let me tell you after the past several years on the Carnival board this is really a breath of fresh air! There is a huge difference in the whole tone of the board - not all of the nastiness, bickering, sarcasm & the taking complaining to a whole new level that goes on on the CCL board. It has really become unpleasant over there - even before the whole loyalty program debacle - but that really put it over the top! Thanks for a more civilized place to discuss our favorite topic.

I understand and empathize. The HAL board's grouchy tone is a turn-off for me (as I have discussed on "their" board with the daily posters). My mom keeps wanting me to go with her on a HAL cruise and I just pull up the HAL board again and show her... then we go look at the Breakaway again. ;)

There are only a few of these types of people who voice this type of concern. There are cutbacks everywhere and business are in the business of making money, and in these recent economic times it is harder and harder to do.

Mostly it is that the internet is so anonymous which allows whining when people usually would not. Then again there are a few people out there that complaining is a form of sport to see how many people they can rile up.;)

John

I find most experiences shared here on CC as extremely positive ones. I think we are sometimes "cult like" and if someone writes a complaint or has a negative experience on board, it can drive people crazy here.

I like to read it all, good and bad. I have learned so much here.

Cruises to me are a wonderful way to explore south of the US. For the most part service, food, etc are wonderful. Once in a while there is a "burp"' but does not ruin my trip. Why do I read so many complaints?

Human nature.

I guess if you don't care for the cut backs, cruise a luxury All-inclusive line like Crystal, Silverseas or on the cruise ship Europa. Pay 5 times more. The options are still availiable.

I priced a Crystal cruise for grins. When you add what I paid for my upcoming cruise together with my budget (most of which would be included with Crystal) it actually came out very close to what a Crystal cruise cost, so I could definitely afford a Crystal cruise. (What I couldn't afford is the new wardrobe DW would insist on buying to take a Crystal cruise:eek:.)

LOL! I totally agree with you - I've been on the Carnival board for the past 2 months prior to our recent Miracle cruise and it's like a whole other world compared to this board. Heck, even the cheerleaders over there are cranky :eek: Needless to say.....glad to be back!

I completely agree with you. The carnival board is just about that loyalty program right now. I prefer this board since I don't have to read ppl complaining about the same thing in every single thread.

There are just people in this world that are happier when they complain. They forget others are human too and will make mistakes. I just hate when they act like they have never made a mistake in the lives.

I love NCL and I have truely enjoyed interacting with everyone on the NCL boards. It makes the anticipation of my next cruise (almost a year away) even more fun.

So my hat is off to all of you NCL folks

No matter where or how I vacation (land or sea) I am amazing lucky to be able to afford to travel. That's why there is really not much that can ruin a trip for me.

I was very ill 16 years ago and was close to dying. You learn not to sweat the small stuff. I've been on cruises that the food wasn't so great, but I sure never starved, always found something to eat. I am so happy to still be on the right side of the dirt that there is little than can ruin a cruise for me.

Put yourself in the shoes of those who can't afford to travel or may be too ill to travel and thank your lucky stars you are in your own shoes - and stop complaining about the small stuff

After reading this, I checked out the Carnival section of CC. This NCL section is a walk in the park by comparison. Lots and lots of un-happy Carnival loyalists.

I've been on only 3 cruises (with two more coming in 2012) and I've never had a bad time. The first one was Carnival and just a three-day Ensenada trip. We had four adults in an oceanview cabin and we still managed to have fun. ;)

The other two were trips with my mother on NCL ships (Star - Mexican Riviera and Epic - Eastern Carribbean). I can certainly say that things were not 100% perfect on either trip, but I've yet to run across anything in life that is 100% perfect. It's all in how you face the imperfections. Personally, I tend to shrug them off and move on because dwelling on them only makes my life miserable, not anybody else's. Heck, I spent 48 hours in bed on the Epic with the flu and decided that I couldn't think of much better places to be stuck in bed than on a cruise ship with views of the St. Thomas harbor out the window.

I really do believe that a cruise or any vacation is what you choose to make of it. I choose to have fun and let the little (and sometimes bigger) things slide as much as possible. As a result I can honestly say I've never had a disappointing vacation. :)

Put yourself in the shoes of those who can't afford to travel or may be too ill to travel and thank your lucky stars you are in your own shoes - and stop complaining about the small stuff

Or think about some third-world family living in a shack listening as we complain about how were screwed out of a farewell party or didn't have a calpyso band when we sailed away on our jillion dollar cruise. Kind of embarrassing.

Jim

DH and I feel the way you do. We are easy to please and we realize that nothing is perfect. But cruising comes pretty close!

Let's face it, some people just feel the need to complain, about anything :rolleyes:

Archived