The Pearl or Star for the Panama Canal

pampered101

Hi,

This is a little long for a simple question but the circumstances make it necessary to get a little long winded. My husband and I were planning to cruise the Panama with another couple in 2013. This was to celebrate their 40th anniversary. Unfortunately the husband passed away last year unexpected. The widow has a girlfriend that is willing to go with us so we are planning on getting 2 rooms. Both ladies have experience with cruising but not with NCL. I have been on the Pearl and enjoyed both the ship and staff. I have not been on the Star and was wondering how it compares to the Pearl.

I also need to mention that if her friend cancels on us we plan to try and get one of the 2 bedroom suites. I think NCL freestyle will be a nice change for my friend and will help create new memories.

So cruise critic fans -- In your opinion which ship is better for first time cruisers the Pearl or the Star?

Thanks in advance for all the input.

If the itineraries are identical, I would vote the Pearl. The Star doesn't have the Great Outdoors on the back of the ship which I definitely missed.

BUT if the itineraries are different, I'd go for the better itinerary. We did the Star Panama Canal cruise last year because it had an extra stop in Key West that the Pearl was missing.

Hi,

This is a little long for a simple question but the circumstances make it necessary to get a little long winded. My husband and I were planning to cruise the Panama with another couple in 2013. This was to celebrate their 40th anniversary. Unfortunately the husband passed away last year unexpected. The widow has a girlfriend that is willing to go with us so we are planning on getting 2 rooms. Both ladies have experience with cruising but not with NCL. I have been on the Pearl and enjoyed both the ship and staff. I have not been on the Star and was wondering how it compares to the Pearl.

I also need to mention that if her friend cancels on us we plan to try and get one of the 2 bedroom suites. I think NCL freestyle will be a nice change for my friend and will help create new memories.

So cruise critic fans -- In your opinion which ship is better for first time cruisers the Pearl or the Star?

Thanks in advance for all the input.

I do not know anything about The Star. I have been on The Pearl twice for The Panama Canal crossing. Last fall on The Pearl, on the big screen in the lobby they were showing live pictures from Her Bow Cam. Very different prospective and in air conditioning. I enjoyed watching with a handicapped friend of mine, who could not go outside for long periods of time. I thought that it was more interesting going from LA to Miami than the other way. Since your cruise is a ways off you might want to read David McCullough's book: Path Between The Seas The Creation of The Panama Canal 1870-1914. Have a wonderful trip.

I vote the Pearl for not only the Great Outdoors, but she still has a Spinnaker lounge. Both are a bonus for all the viewing that will be done on a PC cruise. And....I always preach this....do read A Path Between the Seas before you go.

I sailed on the Star through the Panama Canal but I had forward Bow Suite and the View is great. If you were a inside or Port hole it would be very rough trying to find a place to view the Canal with out Spinnikers and the Great Outdoors.:rolleyes:

The ports on the Star & Pearl are the same but I had not considered the different viewing locations of the canal. In that sense the Pearl would be a better choice.

We did the PC cruise on the Pearl in April 2011 and are booked on her again for the Sept PC cruise in Sept. Every NCL ship we've been on has been wonderful, including the Star (before they removed the Spinnaker lounge), however the Pearl is our favorite. If you like any of them, you will definitely like the Pearl.

I have been on the Star and the Pearl. I also did a canal cruise on the Jade which is sister ship to Pearl. The Star was raped during last overhaul when NCL removed the Spinnaker lounge for more suites. The Spinnaker offers multiple forward views in AC which can be valuable in Tropical conditions. The Pearl is a newer ship with a super crew.

SSD

The Spinnaker offers multiple forward views in AC which can be valuable in Tropical conditions. The Pearl is a newer ship with a super crew.

SSD

I was on the Pearl last October for the Panama repostioning to Florida and the crew was fantastic! the rock wall and bowling alley are a bonus. I don't remember anything that stands out on our "Star" cruise.

Make sure you enter the "Bowling with the NCL stars" tournament as it's a 3 day tournament and you get to know the officers and cruise staff quite well. They told me the 3 day tournament only happens on the 14 day Panama crossing. Being recognized by the cruise staff led to many unexpected perks and shwagg.

• 2 months later...

We are looking at options for the Panama Canal Cruise. can someone tell me if the Star has Family Suite in the Haven as The Pearl does? The pics of the Family suites I've seen on the Star look like oversized rooms (vs. 2 bedrooms) and no mention of the Haven.

Thanks,

Kathy

We are very partial to the Star, so I would vote that for MY reasons. We would have a suite. But, if you're not going to have a suite or even a balcony, then I would vote for the Pearl because of the extra viewing public areas that the Star doesn't have.

We've been on both ships, and would def choose the Pearl over the Star. Two reasons, Spinnaker and Outdoor Cafe.

The only way I would recommend the Star is if you;re considering a suite but not sure about the price jump. The Star has the SJ suites which offer a great view, no balcony, but are cheaper than Penthouses. We loved the room, but still prefer the Pearl.

I hope NCL is reading all of these comments regarding the removing of the Spinnaker from the Star (and the Dawn). I hope people vote by booking more on the ships that still have the original Spinnaker, and that it influences NCL to not do the same to the Jewel class ships........

We are looking at options for the Panama Canal Cruise. can someone tell me if the Star has Family Suite in the Haven as The Pearl does? The pics of the Family suites I've seen on the Star look like oversized rooms (vs. 2 bedrooms) and no mention of the Haven.

Thanks,

Kathy

The Star does not have a Haven. The Star does have the two bedroom, two bathroom suites that sleep six. They are the DOS on 12 (only 2 of these - no balconies) and the ones on 11 with balconies (the latter like those on the Pearl). The other Family Suites you may be thinking of are on the sides on Deck 12.

Archived