Need advice ASAP

nemard

I'm debating doing a cruise in December with my husband and our 18 month old at the time. Debating between Royal Caribbean, Enchantment of the Seas and Carnival Pride.

My hubby and I got engaged on the pride and the enchantment I used for a work conference, though couldn't go with them b/c my daughter wasn't old enough.

that being said, wondering pros vs cons. I know that on carnival she can't swim at all. i asked RCC and they said she could but i saw on this website she couldn't. that would be a deal breaker almost for me.

Can you all with your awesome expertise help me out?

Out other options are for trip to Puerto Rico or Possibly Bahamas though that isn't looking to be likely as cost prohibitive.

There is no place for a non-potty trained child to use the pool/s on Enchantment of the Seas, unless their webpage is incorrect:

Q: Are there any restrictions regarding children in the pools?

A: Please note: Due to public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups or who are not COMPLETELY toilet trained are not allowed in the pools, whirlpools or H2O zone. Children in diapers or who are not toilet trained may use the Baby Splash Zone specially designated for them on the Freedom of the Seas®, Liberty of the Seas®, Independence of the Seas®, Oasis of the SeasSM and Allure of the SeasSM

Q: Are there any restrictions regarding children in the pools?

A: Please note: Due to public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups or who are not COMPLETELY toilet trained are not allowed in the pools, whirlpools or H2O zone. Children in diapers or who are not toilet trained may use the Baby Splash Zone specially designated for them on the Freedom of the Seas®, Liberty of the Seas®, Independence of the Seas®, Oasis of the SeasSM and Allure of the SeasSM

Yes I found that thread, yet RCL states "No" on their webpage, so can't give a definative answer, and you cannot trust answers you receive from phone reps.

Maybe someone who has cruised on this ship recently can discuss their experience.

Don't worry about having a pool for baby...bring one! A blow-up duck tub is fine for splashing (fill it with an ice bucket and empty it into a floor drain...not into the pool!) and will help immensely with bathing, as there are only showers in anything but a suite!

The pics are from 2008, so RCI may have changed the pool in the past 4 years... there was another thread where cruisinmama had e-mailed RCI the pictures with the same inquiry, and got an apology.

I haven't been on anything smaller than the Voyager-class ships with RCI in a long time... my last Carnival cruise was aboard the Legend... Legend had something the size of a truck tire for a baby splash pool on an obscure deck in the sun somewhere... (I looked for it out of morbid curiosity but my kids were out of that age group by then)

thank you everyone. that is very helpful and especially the bring your own. I think we are leaning towards Carnival now since we know the ship and so that will be a bit easier for us. Plus we'll get a nicer cabin just in case with larger balcony.

One final question do you all all recommend we maybe ask a set of grandparents if they'd like to go with us so that we can get some alone time?

One final question do you all all recommend we maybe ask a set of grandparents if they'd like to go with us so that we can get some alone time?

Yes, or have you thought about just having your daughter stay at home with these grandparents while you take the cruise?

thank you everyone. that is very helpful and especially the bring your own. I think we are leaning towards Carnival now since we know the ship and so that will be a bit easier for us. Plus we'll get a nicer cabin just in case with larger balcony.

If you have people available to go with you then by all means ask them; however remember that they are on vacation too. Some people can afford a nanny, some can't. Personally I'm of the opinion that even though family trips are very different than when you travel as a couple, that is part of the fun! Even with a 2yo and grandparents offering to watch him for the evening, we ended up staying out only a couple of hours before returning. We didn't want to be away from him.

You will get "alone time", but it will be on the balcony while the baby sleeps or naps. DH and I have had some of our favorite vacation memories just talking on the balcony and enjoying each others' company.

I can't imagine leaving my children for a week or longer with anyone while we travel, including their grandparents whom I trust completely. But there are others on this board who disagree. It all depends on your perspective.

As a GP, I'd vote "yes!"

We cruised with DD, DSIL and DGS last year. We had connecting cabins so they could put him to sleep and then go out for a drink or a show, while we kept an eye on him. However, DGS is an early riser, so they didn't do many late nights.

Also, if dinner dragged on, one of us could take him for a little walk, which is harder if there are only two of you. And I loved the one-on-one (or two-on-one--DH loves his "little buddy") time.

We all get along very well, and we went with the idea that our schedules and activities would be based on what worked best for DGS. For us, the activities were all secondary to spending time together and giving DD and DSIL a break whenever we could.

Don't worry about having a pool for baby...bring one! A blow-up duck tub is fine for splashing (fill it with an ice bucket and empty it into a floor drain...not into the pool!) and will help immensely with bathing, as there are only showers in anything but a suite!

Ditto. We took our 17-month-old on NCL Sun, which definitely does not have a pool that babies are allowed in, and just used an inflatable bathtub as a splash pool on our balcony. Worked out great, also handy for using at bath time, doesn't take up a ton of space in the luggage. Easy peasy.

My parents are coming along on our next cruise, I think. (They haven't booked yet and we may end up doing a different vacation with them instead because my sister doesn't like to cruise and they want to do something with her too...but I digress.) We have cruised with them in the past but not with kids. I will say this: it helps if there aren't in-law friction issues. It also helps if everyone knows that you're not going to spend every minute of every day together the whole trip. If you can set those expectations first, multi-generational cruises are super fun. For us, the plan is, we all do what we feel like during the day, then we get together at assigned dining time and talk about how our day went. If we feel like doing the same thing during the day, we do it together, if we don't, that just makes for a more interesting and varied conversation at dinner time.

Enchantment does NOT have a baby pool anymore - well they do - but it was reclassified a couple of years ago so you may find some of my OLD posts that says they do. ;) The Enchantment used to allow THIS area as a Baby Splash Zone and then something happened (I am guessing they couldn't get approval for it like they have on Freedom and Oasis class) and the signs were removed. So now the children who use this pool must be toilet trained.

I was on Enchantment last year - GREAT ship! I would go on her again in a heartbeat

126.jpg

Archived