Oregon coast things to do???

In early October we are cruising down the Columbia River, ending in Portland. The cruise visits Astoria, before taking us back to Portland to disembark. We have five days to explore before flying home. We're planning one day in the Mt Hood area, staying at Timberline Lodge, and one day at Crater Lake, staying at the Lodge there. Our son lives in Portland, so we will have opportunities on other visits to explore the city. We would like to spend two days exploring the Coast, probably from Lincoln City to Gold Beach, but are overwhelmed with the number of State Parks and interesting sounding places along the Coast. We are in the 59 - 62 age range and enjoy wildlife, easy hikes, photography and mild adventures. I'd like to explore a couple of tide pools, but there are so many listed in the guidebooks and online! Can anyone make recommendations? Is the Rogue River jet boat ride worthy of the time it would take out of our 2 days? Are the beach dune buggy rides a good idea, or more for the younger crowd? We've been whale watching several times and enjoy it. Is it worth a consideration this time of the year? We also enjoy Botanical Gardens (yes, Portland is a mecca) but how about Shore Acres State Park and Darlingtonia State Natural Site in early October? Worth it? Are the sea lion caves worth a stop?

Thanks so much for any help in our planning that you can give :)!!!

I have been going to the Darlingtonia wayside since I was in college 35 yrs ago...it is just off the highway...and allow 15-20 minutes for a visit. has a picnic table and a wood path through the woods.

the lighthouse at newport has a good small museum...

personally I would skip the sea lion caves..but that is me. south of florence is the dune system...it is worth exploring...you can drive down from portland in a day...take the coast one way and drive back inland on way back.

I absolutely loved the Columbia River Gorge and the Oregon Coastline. So much to see and do. Will you have the opportunity to actually visit some of the falls along the Gorge? Here are some suggestions...you will really need to look at all of your options:

Columbia River Gorge area:

All the Falls along the Gorge

Fish Hatchery/Bonneville Dam

Observation Building (name escapes me)/Old Post Office

State Parks and hiking trails

Bridge across the River

Oregon Coast:

Lewis and Clark Fort: http://www.nps.gov/lewi/index.htm

Jet Boat Tour (if you haven't been on one, it might be worth it). They did blow up the dam so I am not sure how far they can go up now. Be sure to go to the Jetty by Gold Beach. Someone set up a little cat village with housing structures for the strays. Fun.

Yes, there are way too many camp sites along the Coast Line. It has been a while and am unable to remember the names. Many sit on the water's edge. You might want to investigate staying in a YURT at one of these camp grounds instead of a hotel. Hopefully someone from Oregon will fill in my missing pieces.

Less is more. I wouldn't recommend driving the distance just to cover ground verses enjoying a few places in depth. There are also a ton of lighthouses to visit and photograph.

Thanks for bringing back really good memories.

Renee

Greetings: Early October should be a great time to visit. A big consideration in how you approach this will be driving time. While driving up or down the coast is beautiful, it takes a lot of time. Meanwhile, doing part or most of the north and south on Interstate-5 will be much faster. So you might want to consider what part of the coast interests you most and taking freeway to get close.

For example, you might take I-5 from Portland to Grants Pass, visiting wineries (if that interests you) along the way. In Grants Pass, they have jetboat trips that are plenty of fun. Most come with a meal, but some are just the trip. South of GP is Ashland, which has a well-respected Shakespeare festival and Lithia Park, one of the nicest public parks you'll ever see. From GP, you can get over to the Coos Bay area in about 3 hours and visit Gold Beach and Bandon. Bandon has not only some excellent seascapes out the window, but also some of the best golf courses in the world.

From Bandon, you might go north a little ways before cutting over to the much-faster freeway or, if you have time, just drive the coast north.

I would not devote time to the Sea Lion Caves, myself. It's the kind of place where they put a bumper sticker on your car while you're not looking.

Jim

Would you consider driving an hour north to Mt. St. Helens? I was facinated with the area and the visitors center.

I agree with this recommendation - we did Mt. St. Helens last month on a Coastal cruise that stopped in Astoria (about a 2 hour bus ride in each direction). Absolutely fascinating - especially if you are old enough to remember the eruption:D.

Seahorse Lover, I see that you will be based in Portland and I will make a pitch for the northern section of the coastline -- not too far to drive either from the city -- maybe an hour or hour and one-half depending on where you start. From Tillamook on 101, take the Three Capes Scenic Loop, to see Cape Lookout, Cape Meares, and Cape Kiwanda for an absolutely breathtaking drive away from 101, the main highway. There is a lighthouse at Cape Meares. At Cape Kiwanda, you can stop at the huge haystack rock and eat at the Pelican Brew Pub right on the beach at Pacific City. Their handcrafted ales are great. If you like hiking, try the Cape Lookout point hike - my favorite on the coast. Whale watching season starts in March - April and sometimes one can see whales passing Cape Lookout as late as June, but not in Oct. If you continue south along 101 after leaving the three capes drive, there are so many other great beaches and little towns off the beaten track. One is Neskowin, just off 101, and it's just a short walk to a fantastic beach at Proposal Rock, not as windy and usually warmer than other beaches, and not really too crowded. This is just north of Lincoln City.

I would also recommend seeing the Columbia Gorge National Rec Area, which is very beautiful in October with the leaves turning -- a day trip from Portland. Get off the 1-80 freeway at Troutdale and drive the Columbia Gorge Highway -- absolutely the best scenery -- and stop in the state parks to see half dozen falls easily accessible, and if you can hike, many other falls and amazing vantage points. Crown Point is especially scenic and historic.

It sounds like you have big plans to drive all the way to Crater Lake, and it's certainly worth the drive, but in October, that is at the end of the tourist season and expect it to be cold already. If you are a hiker, there are great trails all around the rim, so try to get away from the visitor center and do some hiking if you can.

Have a great trip!

THANKS so very much for all of your suggestions!!! I can always count on CCers to share their wealth of knowledge....and hearing about an area from people who have been there is way better than reading a guidebook!

We have already visited Mt St Helen's, and it IS amazing.

Our Lindblad cruise down the Columbia has 7 days of stops along the Gorge and in Astoria, so that's why we're branching out from that area for our remaining days in Oregon.

Darlingtonia is now definitely on the list. Sounds very different from any of the other gardens we've visited.

I appreciate the tip of making time on I-5. We will definitely take the quick way down and then cut over to the coast.

Again, thanks for all of the great suggestions!!!

If you have the time in Gold Beach, definitely look into the jet boats. We took the Mail Boats up the full trip to Blossom Bar. When we started in Gold Beach, it was cool & clear outside. By the time we got inland, it was hot, and the spray from the rapids felt really good. Bring your camera, but be protected from water. We were in the 3rd or 4th row, and we got soaked.

IMG_1871.jpg

We spend a lot of time in Oregon and have some favorite spots for fall:

Shore Acres State Park - wonderful for views, some good walks/hikes, and its gardens, since you have mentioned gardens.

Cape Perpetua State Park - a fabulous view trail will take you out to some of the best ocean viewpoints. One of the best lighthouses. The early coastal explorers named this rugged point of land and you will sense the history and what it must have been like to sail this rugged coastline.

Cannon Beach - good for beach walks because the amazing seastack rocks are just offshore. You can walk right up to Haystack Rock and its tidepools. Good seabird watching and numerous fun cafes, galleries etc. Best midweek.

Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport. This is not just your children's aqaurium. The state of Oregon funded this with a statewide bond issue and it's one of the best aquariums in the country. The town of Newport has an old town area on the water where you can buy a crab cocktail, sit outdoors, and watch the antics of the seals and sea lions.

The Oregon Dunes - just amazing mountains of sand and unique to the area near Florence and Hauser. Definitely worthwhile even if you don't rent a machine to explore them closeup.

October is not a time when you will likely see whales, but you will still find abundant marine mammals and birds.

Central Oregon has numerous covered bridges and driving tours for the backroads of the countryside. This is not a busy or touristy area and can be a very nice day with a picnic lunch.

We've done the river boat trip out of Grant's Pass - it's a favorite. If you can book the trip with the lodge dinner (outdoor log lodge) you will definitely chalk one up for the memory book. The trip won't have any scary whitewater in October. Great fun!

There's lots more - plays in Ashland, exploring wineries, the Evergreen Aviation Museum (Spruce Goose) near McMinnville.

Enjoy your trip!

We live in southern Oregon for half of the year and I must tell you that the Jet Boat Rides from Gold Beach up the Rogue is our favorite diversion, especially when friends visit.

It is absolutely breathtaking. The eagles are back as are the ospreys!

I'd bet that if you took this outing it would qualify as the best thing that you've done on your visit to Oregon.

We travel extensively and live much of the year in Barbados, but the Mail Boats/jet Boats from Gold Beach are in our top three things to do anywhere.

...And we have high standards! ;)

My best wishes for a wonderful visit and please come back!! :)

Hello from Eugene, Oregon!

Home of the University of Oregon (Oregon Ducks) also known as Track Town USA. My favorite day and/or weekend trip is to the coast. I would go every weekend, but then who would clean up the house?!

We start early in Eugene and head out hwy 126 to Florence and then North on hwy 101 (about an hour to the coast). We typically do the same trip every time because i feel like I've left out beloved friends if we don't at least stop at these beaches :)

Heceta Head Lighthouse and state park are the perfect point to stretch your legs with a short hike to the lighthouse. If you're lucky you might see a wedding up on the hill.

Strawberry hill has amazing tidal pools, seals and sea life- we took an ocean biology class and visited here last season and it was great! (Make sure to get here at low tide!)

One of my favorite coastal cities is Yachats Oregon (sorta pronounced Yah-hots). It recently was listed on a Frommers top ten favorite vacations spots too!

http://www.frommers.com/community/blogs/blog.cfm/arthur-frommer-online/long-range-vacation-planning-ive-compiled-list-of-10-favorite-travel-destinations

From here we usually head up to Lincoln City where we shop at the Tanger Outlets, play at Chinook Winds and watch the sunset from a vacation rental.

You can also head over to Portland easily from here on hwy 18?. The Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum is along the way where you can visit the Spruce Goose!

Truly you cannot go wrong with any beach you visit-they are all going to be gorgeous. Be sure to wear layers, you may get lucky with clear weather-but Oregon is green because our liquid sunshine. ;)

Have fun during your visit!! Feel free to message me for any questions. I posted three of my favorite pics ever of the Oregon Coast.

This is a great link with lots of PDF's of maps, trails and tons more Oregon Coast Info.

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_124.php

1580637279_Pics1350.jpg.729bf5a27ac56758db6e01a0b2d9856f.jpg

1654908783_Pics1355.jpg.77656c994b220cf59a6078ed83ccff26.jpg

1515543528_Pics1354.jpg.df0050e1d8688d3635f969340492c826.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going to be already headed down I-5 you might want to consider Silver Falls State Park. It has been quite awhile since I have been, but there are many very nice waterfalls that are right in the same area.

I would also have to agree that Strawberry Hill is a great place. It is relatively easy to get down to and as long as you are there at low tide you can get out on the rocks and wander out to a point where there is just an approximately 20 ft channel separating you from where the seals are sunning themselves on the rocks.

Here is a few of my shots from the coast.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1277296310723.32870.1779460916&type=3&l=491a496fe6

There is a really nice set of tide pools in Newport, Oregon that I can't remember the name of just off the top of my head. My son's school had a field trip there this year.

The reason why there are so many parks along the coast is that there is so much to see.

Also if you have time while you are in Astoria and aren't bothered by heights or stairs, I would check out the Astoria Column. It gives you a great overlook of the area.

The Newport area with many accessible tide pools is Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area, just north of Newport. The reason there are so many state parks on the Oregon Coast is because most of the coastline is on state land.

• 3 weeks later...
THANKS so very much for all of your suggestions!!! I can always count on CCers to share their wealth of knowledge....and hearing about an area from people who have been there is way better than reading a guidebook!

We have already visited Mt St Helen's, and it IS amazing.

Our Lindblad cruise down the Columbia has 7 days of stops along the Gorge and in Astoria, so that's why we're branching out from that area for our remaining days in Oregon.

Darlingtonia is now definitely on the list. Sounds very different from any of the other gardens we've visited.

I appreciate the tip of making time on I-5. We will definitely take the quick way down and then cut over to the coast.

Again, thanks for all of the great suggestions!!!

A consideration for you. You indicate you are planning to go to Crater Lake and also want to go to the Coast. At Crater Lake you are already in the far south of the state. I would not return to Portland then head to the coast, unless you are going to do the northern coast as suggested. If you want to see the southern and central coast, go from Crater Lake to the Medford/Grants Pass area then cut over to the coast, come north as far as you want - see Brookings, Bandon, Florence, then cut across to I-5 and return to PDX. It will save a lot of driving.

The southern part of the coast is lovely and very diverse. Sand dunes, beautiful bays and lighthouses. Bandon is a nice town we visit each year. The Umpqua River Highway from Florence to I-5 is beautiful driving. If you go a bit further north on the coast, you can cut to I-5 at either Newport or Lincoln City. Between Newport and Florence is the Heceta HEad Lighthouse, along one of the most iconic, beautiful stretches of road you can find. Also in Newport, the Oregon Coast Aquarium is wonderful as is the Hatfield Marine Life Science Center along the bay.

Notice the beautiful Depression era bridges over the bays at Newport and Depoe Bay.

If you choose the north coast, don't just go to Cannon Beach, though we love it. Go 15 miles south to Manzanita. The drive is beautiful and Manzanita is my favorite Oregon beach town, especially if you are going to overnight there. Not as touristy as Cannon Beach and several notches above Seaside in my view. It has a wonderful wide beach, a state park at the south end of town, some shopping, and the solitude you will not find in many of the other towns.

You really can't go wrong whichever section of the coast you choose.

Archived