San Francisco

nsshel

That's right. I live just half hour away. Beautiful city!! If you would like hotel reccomendations, or whatever, would be glad to provide. I noticed Blazerboy actually hails from there. Bet he'd have the scoop too!!

Pier 35 is the normal Passenger Ship pier - but on rare occasion passenger ships will go down to a pier S of the Ferry Building (usually if there are already two ships at Pier 35).

Pier 35 is pretty poorly laid out - but plans are afoot for a new Cruise Ship Terminal - to open in 2008 or so.

It's the one of the embarrassing things about our city, but, yes, is slated to change to piers 30/32 in a few years (once the development gets underway)

I did a thread on San Francisco under ports which had lots of info, both what I wrote, and others' responses. Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=165123

We sailed for Alaska out of San Francisco and thought Pier 35 was depressing and industrial. Felt like a herd of cattle being run through there.

I felt it was no different than check in in Fort Lauderdale ... Same big barn.;)

Tatka..............thanks for "defending" our "big barn" and for that, I would just like to say..........I think Seattle was also just like a big old barn!.........:D

One thing that folks could do to help themselves out when sailing out of pier 35 in S.F. Really take a few minutes and study a good city map, find a secondary route to the pier, other then directly down the Embarcedero which is the street it is on. There are many different alternative surface city streets one can use and to get there and help avoid all the traffic.

Well it did have kind of that "barn" feel to it...but in a city so great it's hard to complain.

I did find what must be one of the greatest hotels in the country when we sailed from there. The Mandarin Oriental!!! What service…they greeted us by name from the time we stepped out of the cab until we left the next day. And the views are incredible. We watched Mercury sail in the next morning. Even if you don’t stay there go in as if you know what you are doing and go to the top floor. There is a sky bridge with some of the best views of the city that you can imagine

We did not think Pier 35 was all that bad last week, you guys who complain about it have been spoiled. Believe me there are a lot worse places in the world to disembark, you should try Kangerlussak Greenland!!!

I must admit that I saw it yesterday, and it wasn't as dank as it was last year! But when you cruise out of ports like Vancouver, you see the potential for decent cruise terminals. That, and I've seen the prelim. drawings for the new termninal, which looks really nice!

I also don't mind a less-than-glorious port peir if it's just a stop, but for those times when it takes time to embark, something a little spiffier would be nice- and I think the current situation misses an oportunity as a place to orient visitors to the city.

sailed on the Mercury 2 weeks ago and the biggest problem I saw at the pier was the endless ramps to finally get to the ship-seemed like we were walking forever. From what I've read, they've actually spruced up the place a bit from what it was. We saw lots of potted plants and trees and some attempt at least to disguise the "warehouse" look and feel.

What's the big deal, anyway? We showed up a little after 1PM and got to our cabin before 1:30PM- not that bad. Disembarkation was not a bad situation, either, except they could have had more porters available.

I was driving by the waterfront a couple weeks ago and saw the Infinity at Pier 30/32. Fortunately, my Infinity odyssey at the end of the month is departing out of Pier 35.

For those of you who dont' know, odd number piers are on the northern side of the city's east side and the even number piers are on the south side. There is about a three mile distance between Piers 35 and 30/32. Piers 30/32 are currently in the middle of the working port (i.e., no near by services, hotels, nice places, etc.).

Pier 35 is within short walking distance of the Fisherman's Wharf tourist area. Easy access to North Beach, Chinatown, Financial District, etc.

My recommendation to to take advantage of a one night pre-cruise package at the Argonnaut Hotel in the Cannery building itself. The book as many earlier nights as you want to visit in San Francisco. That way you get the convenient transfer, luggage service, and easy boarding without getting robbed for all the other nights. Pier 39 is then less that a half mile stroll along the Fisherman's Wharf area.

Hope this helps. ;)

Keith

It's the one of the embarrassing things about our city, but, yes, is slated to change to piers 30/32 in a few years (once the development gets underway)

I did a thread on San Francisco under ports which had lots of info, both what I wrote, and others' responses. Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=165123

;)

I felt it was no different than check in in Fort Lauderdale ... Same big barn.;)

Hi Tatka !

I really dont agree about the Big Barn comment, but we can call agree to disagree.

Overall, I think Ft Lauderdale is one of the best Cruise Piers in the USA. Other than my last Cruise on Summit, they are very efficient, and (for the most part) we have always had great embarkation & disembarkations there.

As for what it looks like ? Well, I really dont know what you hope for in a Cruise Terminal, but as we are only there for a very short time, I dont worry about how nice they are inside, as long as they are efficient.

For what it's worth, I do think the FLL terminals are laid out quite well, and their short drive from the FLL airport, can not be beat.

Reference pier numbering system at San Francisco, it is more accurate to state that odd numbered piers are North of the Ferry Building, and even numbered piers are South of the Ferry Building.

Keith, it was fun to see the Infinity in town, but actually she was at pier 70 or thereabouts for repairs in drydock. You're right though- until that part of town gets developed,(Mission Bay and the Biotech center) there's not much there.

Piers 30/32 are actually in a much better neighborhood, albeit one that's newer. Between the Bay Bridge and the Ballpark, with lots of condos and a few nice restaurants already there, and lots of new housing and shopping planned, so that by the time the cruise terminal opens, it'll be a great place to disembark. The cruise terminal itself is to have shopping and possibly a hotel.

But the Argonaut is a great recommendation in the mean time- I second it.

Keith, it was fun to see the Infinity in town, but actually she was at pier 70 or thereabouts for repairs in drydock. You're right though- until that part of town gets developed,(Mission Bay and the Biotech center) there's not much there.

Piers 30/32 are actually in a much better neighborhood, albeit one that's newer. Between the Bay Bridge and the Ballpark, with lots of condos and a few nice restaurants already there, and lots of new housing and shopping planned, so that by the time the cruise terminal opens, it'll be a great place to disembark. The cruise terminal itself is to have shopping and possibly a hotel.

But the Argonaut is a great recommendation in the mean time- I second it.

HEY! What do you mean there's not much at Pier 70 -- that's right outside of our front door!!! :mad:

Kidding of course. But you're right, with Mission Bay/biotech and the new Stem Cell Research coming into the area, it will certainly revitalize that area. SBC Park also helps. ;)

You're right though- until that part of town gets developed,(Mission Bay and the Biotech center) there's not much there.

(and I should add) ...except some lovely homes occupied by some great people I know from cruise critics and the Constellation!;)

A pier is merely a place to get on and off the ship...for all I care it can be a barn or a palace...I don't really want to or expect to spend much time there anyway...

For those coming from other parts of the country who have not been to The City before or who have spent little time there, I recommend not only doing the one-night pre-cruise deal but spending as many days as you can pre-cruise...This is NOT Miami or Fort Lauderdale...(Sorry, Floridians, but those ports can be a bit boring and really are just places to get on the ship)...San Francisco is in and of itself a vacation destination...There is quite a bit to see and do of an historic or cultural nature and, if you have a few days, there are some very special places to see in the general vicinity...

With one night, yes, wander the Fishermans' Wharf area (but, my recommendation is to eat in North Beach), visit the Cannery and Ghirardelli Square...

With an extra night or so, drive down Lombard Street, go to the Exploratorium, take a tour to Alacatraz, stroll Chinatown, maybe, if it's baseball season, take in a game at the new ballpark...

With a few nights, head north over the Golden Gate and up to Muir Woods and beyond, to the town of Sonoma and to the Napa Valley and tour a couple of the many great wineries, maybe stop for dinner somewhere in Sausalito...

After these experiences, whether or not the pier was "nice" would become inconsequential...

Steve, you're right, right and right, but with me, it's a matter of civic pride! If Vancouver can have a nice one, why can't we?:D

In an era when Governor Terminator is replacing the Bay Bridge with the Bay Cement Freeway, who's going to spring the tax dollars for a really nice pier?

Ah, but that's the beauty of the new proposed pier- privately funded! And, truth be told, it would also attract more cruise ships, which I'm for, and increase tourist $ spent in the city, which I'm for, and perhaps even allow us locals more choices in cruises from home, much like the folks in Miami have, which, you guessed it, I'm for. Don't get me started on the Bay Bridge!

Interesting to read the press release about the new piers here:

http://www.sfport.com/site/uploadedfiles/sfport/news/2004/news031604.pdf

Archived