Quick Golden Princess Review - Seattle to Alaska

RickEk

Great photos!

We were sitting in Sabatinis on the Star as the Golden went by!! :D

Did anyone on either the Star or Golden on these sailings do the Princess Glacier Explorer tour in the smaller boat. We are on the Star July 29 and I just cannot decide whether to spend the additional $400.00. We do have a balcony cabin (C752 aft)Thanks for the help.

Did anyone on either the Star or Golden on these sailings do the Princess Glacier Explorer tour in the smaller boat. We are on the Star July 29 and I just cannot decide whether to spend the additional $400.00. We do have a balcony cabin (C752 aft)Thanks for the help.

We watched as the tour boat picked up the excursion when we stopped to turn around.

Somewhere on CC I saw a review that included this tour, they said something about the boat being very crowded. I never paid attention to exactly how many got on though.

It would be cool because we could only get as far as that rock island in the middle of Tracy Arm. There was too much ice, so I am sure the tour boat gets really close. By the time you go the ship should be able to get closer. :)

We watched as the tour boat picked up the excursion when we stopped to turn around.

Somewhere on CC I saw a review that included this tour, they said something about the boat being very crowded. I never paid attention to exactly how many got on though.

It would be cool because we could only get as far as that rock island in the middle of Tracy Arm. There was too much ice, so I am sure the tour boat gets really close. By the time you go the ship should be able to get closer. :)

That was my thought! I think some on the July 01 sailing polan to take the excursion, I will wait to see their review.

Oh....before I forget! THANKS FOR POSTING THAT FANTASTIC PHOTOS. This will be our sixth trip to Alaska, but our first to Tracy Arms.

Wow, you had much better weather than we had 2 weeks later. Looks a lot more like the weather I had on my first alaska cruise.

We've been lucky I guess. Our first cruise to Alaska was a couple of years ago and the weather was perfect also...no rain at all. On this one, we had a few sprinkles in Ketchikan as we were getting ready to leave... other than that, it was very nice.

We were on the June 16 Golden and I don't think they offered that excursion on our trip. I looked in the excursions offered before we left and didn't see it listed. I didn't pursue it becasue we had done a small boat excusion from Whittier a few years before and decided we'd be happy staying on the ship. We didn't notice anyone getting off of being picked up either in Tracy Arm. We were very fortunate though because we got very close to the glacier. The Star was sailing out as we were entering, and according to the captain they got only as far as the island, also. We had great weather, no fog or drizzle, and saw lots of wildlife -- bears, seals, eagles.

In al my trips to Tracy Arm I have never had a cruise ship get any clsoer than this. The small boat excursions (such as Adventure Bound or the add on) are far superior. If you've been on a cruise ship that has gotten close in Glacier Bay or Hubbard you would know how much more you could have seen.

Here's a video of "The Fountains" that was performed as the finale of the International Crew Show on our cruise...

Interesting video. I haven't seen that performed before. Did this replace "If I Were Not Upon The Sea..."?

Interesting video. I haven't seen that performed before. Did this replace "If I Were Not Upon The Sea..."?

No... I was actually surprised when they opened with "If I Were Not Upon The Sea"!

I think it was first performed on the Star Princess in March. It was the 3rd leg of a cruise from Fort Lauderdale around South America, and the Cruise Director (same one as on the Golden now) knew that many of the passengers had been on the previous segments and thus something new was needed. At that crew show, the "If" was not performed and the "Fountains" was. (Of course it also meant that the CD did not have to dress up in a ridiculous costume.)

Cool photos. We were on the Golden for the holiday cruise in 2010/11. Just this morning, my hubby was talking about how it would be nice to go on another cruise this December (when our girl is off from school), and he was checking out the fares on the Golden. We would just have to convince our teen, who claims she was bored on the last one (um, bored?:rolleyes:).

I was checking out the deck plans and the princess site does ask if one is looking at pre-May 2013 or post. Must be some changes in the works for around that time, but I can't figure out what. I couldn't find any reference for Alfredo's so I'm guessing that won't be added.

Cool photos. We were on the Golden for the holiday cruise in 2010/11. Just this morning' date=' my hubby was talking about how it would be nice to go on another cruise this December (when our girl is off from school), and he was checking out the fares on the Golden. We would just have to convince our teen, who claims she was bored on the last one (um, bored?:rolleyes:).

I was checking out the deck plans and the princess site does ask if one is looking at pre-May 2013 or post. Must be some changes in the works for around that time, but I can't figure out what. I couldn't find any reference for Alfredo's so I'm guessing that won't be added.[/quote']No changes to the Golden next year. In April/May of next year Princess is recategorizing cabins fleet wide. Now cabins in the middle will be the most expensive and get less expensive as you go forward or aft and higher or lower.

Cool photos. We were on the Golden for the holiday cruise in 2010/11. Just this morning' date=' my hubby was talking about how it would be nice to go on another cruise this December (when our girl is off from school), and he was checking out the fares on the Golden. We would just have to convince our teen, who claims she was bored on the last one (um, bored?:rolleyes:). . . . [/quote']

Leave her home. Take me instead.

Here's a link to a compilation of some of the 1,000's of photos that I took on our cruise. Enjoy!

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjAaW9qj

Great pics!!

You not only got a picture of our Star cruise passing you in Tracy Arm but you got us leaving from Pier 91 when you were at the Space Needle!

Think I see us on the balcony. :D

Fantastic photos (only on day 3 of the cruise). Quizzed hubby on which ship' date=' but it took him five tries. Showed the girl, but she shrugged (uggggggghhh).[/quote']

Well, ya know... just book it and drag 'em along! :D

If you had a 14-year-old girl' date=' you wouldn't be saying that.:eek:[/quote']

Maybe... my daughter is 26 now... she took her first cruise when she was 19, but I think she would have loved to have been on a cruise when she was 14... :)

Fantastic photos (only on day 3 of the cruise). Quizzed hubby on which ship' date=' but it took him five tries. Showed the girl, but she shrugged (uggggggghhh).[/quote']

Your daughter sounds like my 16 yr and 11 yr old sons. Their come back to me showing them cruises, "you expect us to stay in that little cabin".

Guess all these years of land based trips in 2-3 br condos with free wifi are coming back to haunt me.

Your daughter sounds like my 16 yr and 11 yr old sons. Their come back to me showing them cruises, "you expect us to stay in that little cabin".

Guess all these years of land based trips in 2-3 br condos with free wifi are coming back to haunt me.

Well, those condos weren't going anywhere... :p Your answer should be, "Yes, yes we do expect you to stay in that little cabin". :)

Archived