Quick Golden Princess Review - Seattle to Alaska

RickEk

Thanks for the review - will be doing the Glacier Bay version of the cruise in August. Nice to hear about Golden Princess - but - any pictures? :)

I'm still sorting through my pictures and getting them uploaded to Flickr (it's amazing how many pictures I actually took), but this one caught my eye and I had to share. More to come.

Pair of nesting bald eagles on a tree atop Mt. Roberts in Juneau.

7404510360_383b2c899d_c.jpg

Golden Princess - Juneau - 2012 by RickEk, on Flickr

Thanks for the great eagle picture!

Thanks!

We were lucky to have a full moon during the cruise. These were taken about 11-ish at night...

7402449170_17db427d6a_c.jpg

Golden Princess - Sea Days - 2012 by RickEk' date=' on Flickr

7402535050_ffbe8cf7ec_c.jpg

Golden Princess - Sea Days - 2012 by RickEk, on Flickr

7402518162_8cf64e247b_c.jpg

Golden Princess - Sea Days - 2012 by RickEk, on Flickr

Hi Rick! Thanks for the nice review...Steve already told you that we are cruising with him and the lovely Sherri once again in August. After we met them on the Sapphire Princess cruise over Halloween that you were on, well...we just couldn't forget the fun time we had and decided to cruise together again on Golden! Too bad they didn't put in an Alfredo's during the drydock. It was sure nice on Sapphire...however, at least they still have a Crown Grill on Golden. Can't wait! I hope that the staggered boarding is a thing of the past. For sure I am not waiting until 1:30 PM to board!! Hope life is treating you well!!!

Thanks for posting your review. The Golden was our first Princess ship. I'm hoping one day to be up there with your partner in getting invitations to the most traveled passenger events. I'm 40 percent of the way there.

Rick, those are some outstanding shots, beautiful....hope I can get some at that time of night.

Thanks... we have a very nice Nikon that we picked up in St. Thomas last year and it takes great photos.

Hi Rick! Thanks for the nice review...Steve already told you that we are cruising with him and the lovely Sherri once again in August. After we met them on the Sapphire Princess cruise over Halloween that you were on, well...we just couldn't forget the fun time we had and decided to cruise together again on Golden! Too bad they didn't put in an Alfredo's during the drydock. It was sure nice on Sapphire...however, at least they still have a Crown Grill on Golden. Can't wait! I hope that the staggered boarding is a thing of the past. For sure I am not waiting until 1:30 PM to board!! Hope life is treating you well!!!

Well, y'all have a great time! :) The Golden was lovely and we did enjoy the itinerary. And there was definitely no staggered boarding in effect. We're planning on doing the 10-day out of SF to Alaska next year on the Grand Princess. I hope that y'all are well too.

Thanks for posting your review. The Golden was our first Princess ship. I'm hoping one day to be up there with your partner in getting invitations to the most traveled passenger events. I'm 40 percent of the way there.

Well, it appears that Alaska is the place to be to get invited... sooo many blue cards. :p This last cruise pushed me over 100 days at sea! Two more cruises till Elite. :)

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite memories is leaving New York City on the Golden with Enya music playing! When we were on the Golden 3 years ago, I was so sad that we did not have sailaway music. Now I know why. Seattle people seem to be such sticks in the mud! This industry brings jobs and money to the city and it is such a positive and upbeat industry. I would not mind hearing this music for 3evenings a week for 4 months.

One of my favorite memories is leaving New York City on the Golden with Enya music playing! When we were on the Golden 3 years ago, I was so sad that we did not have sailaway music. Now I know why. Seattle people seem to be such sticks in the mud! This industry brings jobs and money to the city and it is such a positive and upbeat industry. I would not mind hearing this music for 3evenings a week for 4 months.

Well, it's apparently just some Seattle people.

Here's some more photos from this cruise...

Panorama at Mendenhall Glacier...

7403848066_a6a4661a51_c.jpg

Golden Princess from atop Mt. Roberts...

7404614464_8ce04137fd_c.jpg

Floatplane flying into the sunset...

7404795620_57f2347b79_c.jpg

Sorry if this is a stupid question: is there a cost advantage to have 4 people in one room? I thought any extra people would have to pay their own fare? Wouldn't 4 people in one room cost the same as 4 people in 2 rooms?

Tracy Arm was spectacular...

We saw some great icebergs of ancient glacial ice...

7417348754_5863d20e91_c.jpg

Golden Princess - Tracy Arm Fjord - 2012 by RickEk, on Flickr

Passing Star Princess on her way out of the fjord...

7417732178_cc4a910732_c.jpg

Sawyer Glacier... this was as close as we could get...

7417925938_ce9649abc0_c.jpg

7417934198_722b7d2fe2_c.jpg

7418406444_d31df92b0d_c.jpg

We saw a bunch of seals... they apparently give birth here because orcas won't traverse the fjord.

7418322476_420c12abcf_c.jpg

Sorry if this is a stupid question: is there a cost advantage to have 4 people in one room? I thought any extra people would have to pay their own fare? Wouldn't 4 people in one room cost the same as 4 people in 2 rooms?

Maybe so in the real world... I was traveling with an employee and the fare structure is "different" and no, I can't discuss it. ;)

As if I wasn't excited enough to go to Alaska in September - your photos have made me just clear nuts! Beautiful photos - guess I better learn to use my camera :). And I plan to be on deck for sailaway - music or no!

Oh, most assuredly, we were on deck for sailaway. It was a beautiful day. A bit disappointing that there was neither a band nor the CD staff out there, but fun nonetheless (how could it not be... we were sailing to Alaska!).

7399377988_f7c10815ef_c.jpg

Golden Princess - Embarkation - 2012 by RickEk, on Flickr

7399440678_baa73a2a81_c.jpg

7399571314_6ab10979cb_c.jpg

But the Treasure Hunt drawing was held in the Piazza...

7399593982_8bf24b9101_c.jpg

The 3rd and 4th person in a cabin pay a lower rate than the first two.

Archived