2012 Guide - Places to See in Saint John New Brunswick for Cruise Ship visitors

fundy

Thank you so much! IS there only one jet boat ride? I think we will do first thing in the am - go back and change and then meander around the city. Thank you again - it is soooooo wonderful having people in the know. If we met up - I would buy you a drink!:p

My advice is to find out when the low tide is and plan to do the boat ride at that time. The jet boat operator runs different boats at certain time intervals depending on the demand. You want to be able to ride the waves and battle the current in order to have your ride thrilling. Low tide is the best time for it so plan accordingly. Acey-SJ is right about the city tour part, just walk around to the City Market, Prince Edward St, Germain St and you will have covered the historical part (a big chunk of it). The boat ride happens at the Reversing Falls which is by itself one of the major attractions/highlight of the city. So you can learn about it while doing your thrill ride.

We are going in a couple of weeks and found this self guided walking tour on the City of Saint John website

http://www.saintjohn.ca/en/home/cityhall/developmentgrowth/heritageconservation/historicwalkingtours.aspx

If you look at the South End tour, your ship will be docked at Water Street (the first street on the left). There is a lot of history and old architecture the next 3 streets from it, Prince William, Canteburry, and Germain and of course King Sq next to the historic City Market.

Just back and have to say - we LOVED St. John! We thought we were ok to walk to the Jet boat ride as the sign said 3.4K to the reversing falls....won't say it was a mistake - but there is no real signage for the Jet Boat ride and the walk was closer to 4.5 miles I would guess - took us about 1 hour and 20 minutes:eek:. But - the day was gorgeous and the people we stopped along the way to ask for directions were awesome. Next time we would take a map and go the shorter route to the jet boat ride - which by the way was worth every penny.

Also,,,had a great spiritual reading by Paula at Celestial Treasures on Charlotte Street - which is an easy walk to and from the ship. Accurate and loving reading for sure.

We will go back to St. John again for sure - the town, the people, the hospitality are wonderful. Thank you Fundy for your fabulous guidance!

Oh, by the way - we did take a taxi back to town:p

In Saint John there are bars within a block of ship. Callahan's and O'Leary's are Irish bars. Lots of restaurants one block up from terminal on Prince William Street or on boardwalk at Market Square. Churchill's is a nice pub food place. Popular thing to check out is old city market a few blocks from ship. There are people inside and outside terminal to guide you in right direction. Basically you don't need to go far for bar / restaurant.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just back and have to say - we LOVED St. John! We thought we were ok to walk to the Jet boat ride as the sign said 3.4K to the reversing falls....won't say it was a mistake - but there is no real signage for the Jet Boat ride and the walk was closer to 4.5 miles I would guess - took us about 1 hour and 20 minutes:eek:. But - the day was gorgeous and the people we stopped along the way to ask for directions were awesome. Next time we would take a map and go the shorter route to the jet boat ride - which by the way was worth every penny.

Also,,,had a great spiritual reading by Paula at Celestial Treasures on Charlotte Street - which is an easy walk to and from the ship. Accurate and loving reading for sure.

We will go back to St. John again for sure - the town, the people, the hospitality are wonderful. Thank you Fundy for your fabulous guidance!

Oh, by the way - we did take a taxi back to town:p

I am glad you had a good time and found this thread helpful. Cheers!!

OK - we have been back a few weeks - but just now have the chance to write. St. John is absolutely one of our favorite ports now!!

I was able to get a free cruise from Carnival and due to my hubby's very limited vacation time - we took this one out of Boston. I did not really expect much - BUT was so pleasantly surprised.

First - you walk off the ship and are greeted - yes greeted - not ambushed - by people welcoming you to St. John - hubby was given a pin and I a rose - WOW!

Second - we booked the jet boats - Absolutely a must do - now hubby said well it is only 3.4 k to the reversing falls - so we decided to hike it - hmmmm - probably not our best move - 1 hour and 15ish minutes later - we found it - but people along the way were fabulous at providing directions as it is not that well advertised during the walk (up hill both ways I am told - lol) - but great. So - take a cab...:eek:

The jetboat ride was fabulous - I don't think I was white knuckling - but it was an absolute hoot and we would do it again. Notes - you will get wet and it is cold - but OMG so much fun!!!:D We took a cab back to the center of town...

As I had been researching what to do - I stumbled on a site for Celestial Treasures - I was interested in a psychic reading while in port - I was not disappointed in this little shop or in Paula the lady doing my reading. Authentic, kind and loving all the way around. Much like I found the people of St. John in general. We are planning another trip just to walk around the town and tour the shops more. Lovely town and a must do port - I think I would love to go in the fall when the colors are in!

Finally - the nice slow pace of the ship was amazing - we saw whales - not close - but saw them - their blow spouts and then their big tails. We also saw dolphins closer and jumping in and out of the water!! LOVE this itinerary!

any questions let me know - enjoy the heck out of St. John....:p

OK - we have been back a few weeks - but just now have the chance to write. St. John is absolutely one of our favorite ports now!!

I was able to get a free cruise from Carnival and due to my hubby's very limited vacation time - we took this one out of Boston. I did not really expect much - BUT was so pleasantly surprised.

First - you walk off the ship and are greeted - yes greeted - not ambushed - by people welcoming you to St. John - hubby was given a pin and I a rose - WOW!

Second - we booked the jet boats - Absolutely a must do - now hubby said well it is only 3.4 k to the reversing falls - so we decided to hike it - hmmmm - probably not our best move - 1 hour and 15ish minutes later - we found it - but people along the way were fabulous at providing directions as it is not that well advertised during the walk (up hill both ways I am told - lol) - but great. So - take a cab...:eek:

The jetboat ride was fabulous - I don't think I was white knuckling - but it was an absolute hoot and we would do it again. Notes - you will get wet and it is cold - but OMG so much fun!!!:D We took a cab back to the center of town...

As I had been researching what to do - I stumbled on a site for Celestial Treasures - I was interested in a psychic reading while in port - I was not disappointed in this little shop or in Paula the lady doing my reading. Authentic, kind and loving all the way around. Much like I found the people of St. John in general. We are planning another trip just to walk around the town and tour the shops more. Lovely town and a must do port - I think I would love to go in the fall when the colors are in!

Finally - the nice slow pace of the ship was amazing - we saw whales - not close - but saw them - their blow spouts and then their big tails. We also saw dolphins closer and jumping in and out of the water!! LOVE this itinerary!

any questions let me know - enjoy the heck out of St. John....:p

How is your Zoo?

can it be done in just a couple of hours? we are only there til 7-4 on the 23rd (September) but it looks like the zoo does not open til 10 and I do still want to get a little shopping in....

we are big animal lovers( we got married in our home town Zoo 15 years ago) and we love seeing other zoos around the world.

I assume it will be no issue getting a cab at the pier, but what about at the other end by the Zoo? any guestimation of cost? and would they really rather take CA as opposed to US regardless of what they may advertise?

The zoo can be done in a couple hours. http://www.cherrybrookzoo.com

Taxi is probably $12.00

When you are ready to come back a zoo employee will call you a cab - no worries as the zoo is near a major hospital and university with lots of cabs in area.

ooh thanks. very reasonable taxi fare.

Hi there,

This tour is offered by Princess Cruise and last three and half hours from 11:30 am to 3 pm. Has anyone been on this tour and how was it ? We are in port from 7:30 am to 3 :30 pm on Sept. and that doesn't leave us much time to walk around the city. Is there other independent river cruise operator ? Thank you very much for your reply.

hsiu

Hi there,

This tour is offered by Princess Cruise and last three and half hours from 11:30 am to 3 pm. Has anyone been on this tour and how was it ? We are in port from 7:30 am to 3 :30 pm on Sept. and that doesn't leave us much time to walk around the city. Is there other independent river cruise operator ? Thank you very much for your reply.

hsiu

Depends when in September you will be here. There is a "Mississippi River boat" double-decker style cruise of the Saint John and Kennebecasis river but its only on special days. Its also 3hrs and I believe costs about $40 or so. Its offered by the Saint John Marina.

Depends when in September you will be here. There is a "Mississippi River boat" double-decker style cruise of the Saint John and Kennebecasis river but its only on special days. Its also 3hrs and I believe costs about $40 or so. Its offered by the Saint John Marina.

Saint John Marina web site has this Voyageur II river tour boat but no departure date and time, is this just for charter only ? We will be in port Sept. 18. Where is Kennebecasis river ? Can you tell me their departure time ? Thank you very much.

For departure time I would contact Saint John Marina - google their website and they have an email submission form or phone number

Thank you very much for your information. I'll sent them an email. Thanks.

Saint John Marina web site has this Voyageur II river tour boat but no departure date and time, is this just for charter only ? We will be in port Sept. 18. Where is Kennebecasis river ? Can you tell me their departure time ? Thank you very much.

They cruise on Sep 15 as indicated on their site so you can't make it anyway on your stop in Saint John. Sorry about that. Hope you find something else that will interest you.