Shore excursions in South America

mare s.

For those who have been on an Azamara South America cruise, did Azamara offer a wine tasting excursion in Uruguay? There are private tour operators who do it, but curious if Azamara offers the same (and unfortunately, shore excursions for our upcoming cruise won't be available on the Azamara site until this Fall)

They did. Unfortunately the one we booked in Uruguay was cancelled due to lack of demand. On our trip that happened a bit as there was a large no of Brazilians aboard who did not do shore ex. The Concierge offered to put a private trip together for us which was kind however as we were wined out by then we just did what was a very good Montevideo city tour

I have found our shorex booklet from January and here is the excursion that was offered in Montevideo It was $224 each but of course with the 2 for 1 that is in fact $224 for 2

Discover Uruguay's little known wine region of Juanico. The privileged soil and micro-climate of Juanico Region has turned this area

into a renowned viticulture site. Tour the vineyard's facilities equipped with state-of-the-art processing machinery, and the wine cellar

built in 1840. After being seated with a plate of cold cuts, cheeses and bread, your wine tasting of some of the top wines is guided

by one of the winery's oenologists.

The first vineyards in the region were planted in 1835. Today, the best classic varieties are grown using an intelligent canopy

management system based on organic agriculture principles. Among white varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc,

Gewurztraminer, Riesling and Sauvignon Gris. Among red varieties: Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Marselan, Pinot

Meunier, Pinot Noir and the flagship Uruguayan variety Tannat, which produces a full-bodied red wine that has carved a niche for

Uruguayan wines. Presently Uruguayan winemakers have entered its wines into competitive markets where they are receiving

international recognition and gold medals at the most prestigious international wine competitions.

For those who have been on an Azamara South America cruise, did Azamara offer a wine tasting excursion in Uruguay? There are private tour operators who do it, but curious if Azamara offers the same (and unfortunately, shore excursions for our upcoming cruise won't be available on the Azamara site until this Fall)

ihad two on my cruise. once was cancel but other iwent too. i hope this year i get the one with the cars..

Thanks for the info...we are looking at a private tour in Punta Del Este and wanted to compare it to what Azamara offers. I wonder if we'll have lots of Brazilians on our cruise too...it's right after New Year and before Carnival.

My mother & I did this excursion on -X- 2 years ago and had a blast. There is a tour of the vineyards, then the tasting. There was so much food--3 types of empanadas came out as well as bread, olives, etc. and, not mentioned in the description for our tour, was a local troupe of tango dancers who came out to entertain, with some audience participation. The wines are decent and the pours are excellent. All in all, a great way to spend an afternoon. If I can talk DH into an Antarctic cruise, we will definitely do this again.

My mother & I did this excursion on -X- 2 years ago and had a blast. There is a tour of the vineyards, then the tasting. There was so much food--3 types of empanadas came out as well as bread, olives, etc. and, not mentioned in the description for our tour, was a local troupe of tango dancers who came out to entertain, with some audience participation. The wines are decent and the pours are excellent. All in all, a great way to spend an afternoon. If I can talk DH into an Antarctic cruise, we will definitely do this again.

you left out the dessert. yummy. .and the dessert wine too.

HI, I was on the Journey a few months ago for the cruise from BA to Rio. The Journey offered two winery tours out of Montevideo. I took one, which included the car collection at the vineyard. Enjoyable. Wine was pretty good from that particular vineyard (Bouzos, I spelled it wrong, no doubt). We had a nice lunch provided. Meat was grilled right there and could be tough and fatty, but you could choose a different piece.

We met some others who took a private winery tour out of Punta Del Este and said it was fabulous. They had also gone to the Bouzos vineyard ( on their own) and said the Punta Del Este tour was better.

HI, I was on the Journey a few months ago for the cruise from BA to Rio. The Journey offered two winery tours out of Montevideo. I took one, which included the car collection at the vineyard. Enjoyable. Wine was pretty good from that particular vineyard (Bouzos, I spelled it wrong, no doubt). We had a nice lunch provided. Meat was grilled right there and could be tough and fatty, but you could choose a different piece.

We met some others who took a private winery tour out of Punta Del Este and said it was fabulous. They had also gone to the Bouzos vineyard ( on their own) and said the Punta Del Este tour was better.

thamks for that info as i will be back there in 2013.. iheard the cars were nice- heard nothing about the food. will check out the one in Punta Del Este.

Hi Tango...the private tour out of Punta Del Este is the one we're thinking about. It has rave reviews on Trip Advisor, but it is a bit pricey. That's why I wanted to find out what Azamara offers.

thanks to you i found it and saved it for winter of 2013. it sounds great. thank you

We're taking the private tour out of Punta del Este in January, and can't wait! The operator is very responsive and it all looks first class.

Looking forward to seeing what Azamara offers in the other ports, but I know the four of us will definitely be joining Azamara for Carnival.

Here are the Punta Del Este excursions that were offered in December/ January 2011/12. As we back to backed two trips we did an excursion (PE24 it was very good, we stopped at lots of places and was a and very fair price) week 1 and walked around the place ourselves week 2.

The trips differed slightly between the two weeks as we were calling at Montevideo Week 2. Note the costs of the excursions are before the 50% discount

PE24 Punta del Este, Ralli Museum & Casapueblo

PRICES: Adult 52.00/Child 47.00 USD

DURATION: 3 hr(s) 30 min(s)

DEPARTURE TIMES: 9:30 am

Experience a scenic drive through the area's most fashionable and impressive neighborhoods. After tendering ashore, your tour begins with an hour-long sightseeing drive through this upscale resort. Pass through the residential areas of Cantegril, San Rafael, Parque Golf and La Barra de Maldonado, known for its unique hanging bridges. Visit the Ralli Museum of Contemporary Art with its fine collection of paintings and sculptures by noted Latin American artists, including several Salvador Dali pieces on permanent display.

Your drive will then take you past some of Punta's natural wonders - its beaches. Stop at Punta Ballena for sweeping views up and down the coast before ending your drive at Casapueblo, the home and atelier of internationally renowned artist, Carlos Paez Vilaro. The dazzling white complex, resembling Spanish-Moroccan architecture, is situated on a rocky bluff overlooking the ocean. Vilaro built it in 1958 with his own hands, using only traditional tools. Narrow steps lead to a maze of rooms scattered on different levels and filled with the artist's works. Return to the port along the picturesque coastal road.

PE25 Punta del Este & BBQ Lunch at Narbona Farm

PRICES: Adult 199.00/Child 179.00 USD

DURATION: 6 hr(s) 30 min(s)

DEPARTURE TIMES: 9:30 am

This comprehensive tour includes a sightseeing drive through Punta del Este's most interesting beaches and neighborhoods, visits two unique art collections, and includes a barbecue lunch at Narbona Farm.

Punta del Este is known as a world class summer resort, but it has a well-kept secret - the trove of art and architecture hidden within its natural beauties. Driving from the harbor to the east you will see the Peninsula, Brava Beach, and the open-air collection

of sculptures at Square of the Americas, among which "The Hand" (Mario Yrarrázabal, Chile 1981) has become a city icon. Pass through the residential areas of San Rafael, Golf Park and Beverly Hills before arriving to the Ralli Museum. Located in the

emerald green setting of Beverly Hills, the museum houses a collection of Latin American painters and sculptors as well as European artists such as Salvador Dali, and another hall is dedicated to 16-18th Century European paintings. Your tour continues on to Indian Corner, crossing the twin wavy bridges to the spectacular viewpoint at La Barra prior to your arrival to The Pablo Atchugarry Foundation. During your visit, you will see the buildings in the compound: the artist's workshop, another building with three exhibition halls, an Auditorium for concerts and lectures, and another building that houses the permanent collection and works of the artist, Pablo Atchugarry. Your tour includes barbecue lunch at Narbona Farm before the return drive along the picturesque coastal road.

PE26 Seawolves Island (note this got cancelled due to sea conditions)

PRICES: Adult 132.00/Child 132.00 USD

DURATION: 2 hr(s) 30 min(s)

DEPARTURE TIMES: 10:00 am

This tour provides nature lovers an opportunity to observe the sea wolves habitat - Isla de Lobos, a government reserve located less than six miles off the coast of Punta del Este. Following your tender ride ashore, board a small local boat that will take you to the island's edge. This tiny island is home to the largest non-migratory sea lion colony in the world. Because the island is a natural preserve, you may not disembark the boat to visit the island. The boat will cruise the area to give you unrestricted view of the animals. After about 45 minutes, you will return to the cruise ship pier.

PE27 Cooking Lessons at Narbona Farm

PRICES: Adult 235.00/Child 235.00 USD

DURATION: 3 hr(s)

DEPARTURE TIMES: 3:30 pm, 5:30 pm

Join a cooking lesson using some of Uruguay's most typical food. Narbona Farm is an old-fashioned restaurant with a unique Italian farmhouse style. The layout of the restaurant allows you and your fellows guests the take turns preparing some typical, easy to prepare Uruguayan dishes. Towards the end of the lessons, enjoy a glass of champagne with your chef and the rest of your class.

All necessary equipment is provided.

PE28 Punta del Este Open Art

PRICES: Adult 47.00/Child 42.00 USD

DURATION: 3 hr(s) 30 min(s)

DEPARTURE TIMES: 1:30 pm

Join a sightseeing drive through Punta del Este's most interesting beaches and neighborhoods and visit two unique art collections.

Punta del Este is known as a world class summer resort, but it has a well-kept secret, known only to a select few, the trove of art and architecture hidden within its natural beauties. Driving from the harbor to the east you will see the Peninsula, Brava Beach, and the open-air collection of sculptures at Square of the Americas, among which "The Hand" (Mario Yrarrázabal, Chile 1981) has become a city icon.

Pass through the residential areas of San Rafael, Golf Park and Beverly Hills before arriving to the Ralli Museum. Located in the emerald green setting of Beverly Hills, the museum houses a collection of Latin American painters and sculptors as well as

European artists such as Salvador Dali, and another hall is dedicated to 16-18th Century European paintings. After an approximate 45-minute visit your tour continues on to Indian Corner, crossing the twin wavy bridges to the spectacular viewpoint at La Barra prior to arrive to The Pablo Atchugarry Foundation. The Pablo Atchugarry Foundation is a nonprofit institution to promote the arts. During your visit you will see the buildings in the compound: the artist's workshop, another building with three exhibition halls, an Auditorium for concerts and lectures, and another building that houses the permanent collection and works of the artist, Pablo

Atchugarry. In recognition of his lifelong artistic achievement, Atchugarry received the Michelangelo Award in July 2002. His recent work is a monumental sculpture entitled Cosmic Embrace standing 8.6 meters high that will be placed in a public space in

Belgium.

PE29 Tasting Farm Products

PRICES: Adult 264.00/Child 264.00 USD

DURATION: 3 hr(s)

DEPARTURE TIMES: 4:00 pm

After an approximate 30-minute drive to Narbona Farm you will find yourself in an old-fashioned restaurant with a unique Italian farmhouse style. The décor is warehouse style, with brick walls and ceilings, dark wood furniture and a large window with a view to the vineyards. The kitchen can be seen from the main hall, and the restaurant is surrounded by galleries with white armchairs, white and black old tile floors. Be welcomed by the staff and being your four-stop tasting of their products, including as assorted cheeses, cookies, bread and wines. The farms main products are parmesan, provolone and brie cheese, yogurt, butter, the famous Dulce de Leche, homemade cookies and crackers, olive oil, liquors, wines and cognac.

PE30 Full Day Montevideo

PRICES: Adult 157.00/Child 143.00 USD

DURATION: 8 hr(s)

After an approximate 1.5-hour drive, you will arrive in Montevideo, the capital city of Uruguay. Your tour of Montevideo begins with a drive through the residential area of Carrasco, Pocitos, Batlle and Ordonez Park, Soccer Stadium, Obelisk, La Carreta (Covered Wagon monument), 18 de Julio Avenue, Independence Square with Artigas Monument, and Old City. Lunch will be served at the Port Market building whose impressive wrought-iron structure surrounds a variety of "Parrilladas," a lively colorful place where the city's artist and street musicians practice their skills. Following lunch, your tour continues with a visit to the Congress Building (exterior visit only) and the Prado area followed by a drive along the cities many of beaches and back to Punta Del Este.

PE31 Country Dinner at Las Vertientes

PRICES: Adult 299.00/Child 299.00 USD

DURATION: 4 hr(s)

DEPARTURE TIMES: 6:30 pm

Depart from the pier toward the Portezuelo area, pass by Punta del Estes beaches and discover the natural paradise at Las Vertientes, located only approximately 30 minutes from the port. Live folkloric music will welcome you and and a barbecue meal

will be waiting for you after a welcome reception. Take in the natural landscape and panoramic view of the hills with their everchanging colors.

Wow Uktog...that's so kind of you to post all the excursions! Really appreciate it. It's hard to plan ahead and decide on private tours when shore excursions aren't posted. We've been on Azamara before and don't remember having to wait quite so long for information...and on other lines, shore excursions have been posted well in advance (even if prices aren't listed until close to sail date)

I assume the prices listed were the "brochure" prices and not the 50% off prices.

Thanks again!

mare

Archived