THUNK! Seriously, what is with all the door slamming?

JokerABC

I think most people do try to be courteous. That being said, I do think that there are people who are just loud in everything they do. They don't mean to be loud, they just talk louder, walk with heavier footsteps, laugh louder etc. than most of us, they don't realize how they are perceived by others. They probably slam doors and don't have a clue.

My god this was such a problem on the Liberty. Thankfully Cass brought an extra set of ear plugs. After that I was OK. While on the Pride (had our first inside cabin (one deck below balconies) and hardly ever heard doors. Not sure if we were just lucky or if people were more considerate.

Bringing earplugs for sure! I hate the running in the hallways. It was rampant on our last cruise. Young children up very late with their parents, then running ahead of them down the hallway. All week! When we went on our first cruise with a group of HS seniors, we told them some cruise courtesies to follow- no loud talking or running in the hallways as people may be napping/sleeping, be on time for dinner as the service doesn't start until you all arrive, etc. etc.

Some people need a little cruise courtesy course!

This is one of my pet peeves of cruising! No matter which cruise line we can always here doors slamming up and down the hall. Sometimes it's the cabin door and sometimes it's the balcony door. And lots of times it's very late at night which wakes us up. I was raised to not slam doors so I don't do it at home or on a cruise ship.

I too was raised not to slam doors.

And my kids were trained not to slam doors too.

We had a balcony one time.

I did not enjoy the folks next door.

They slammed the door, yelled between the cabin and the balcony, talked loudly continuously, fought, and peeked around the balcony divider.

At least they did not smoke and I could not understand whatever language it was they were speaking.

I really don't care if I ever have another balcony.

At least if I am sitting on deck I can move away from creepy loud smelly people.

Last cruise was on the Miracle and we changed cabins midweek. Went from a balcony on deck 5 with a slamming door to a balcony on deck 8 that had a balcony door that did not slam. I even tried to make it slam by flinging it open and it slowed down and shut quietly every time.

Must be different hinges. Since I couldn't go back and forth I couldn't compare. The difference took me totally by surprise.

I actually considered killing my son and heaving his 6 foot 1 inch frame overboard because of the balcony door slamming. He would come in from a night of revlry at 5AM go to the balcony for a smoke and let the door slam, Come into the cabin and let the door slam. This lasted one day. I stepped up to him and pointed up into his face and told him if he let the door slam one more time he was sleeping the rest of the cruise in the atrium. He meekly replied he was sorry and didn't realize he had to physically hold the door till it closed. Immediatly after my big motherly dressing down he neighbors door slammed shut just as loudly. I don't think everyone rlized how loud the door is or that they have to hold it till it is completely closed.

I understand sometimes accidents happen and a door slips out of your hand and a door slams as it happens to us all. But, on our first balcony cruise the people two decks below us would CONSTANTLY come in and out of the balcony, slamming the door each and every time they did so. Even two decks up it was loud and would rattle the walls in our room. With some it is just pure and total lack of regard to other people. :rolleyes: It was our first balcony and heck, our first cruise and even we knew to be conscious of not doing things like that.

My god this was such a problem on the Liberty. Thankfully Cass brought an extra set of ear plugs. After that I was OK. While on the Pride (had our first inside cabin (one deck below balconies) and hardly ever heard doors. Not sure if we were just lucky or if people were more considerate.

Same here, on Liberty. We were in 7317, which was smack-dab in the middle of the suites. The a**wipes in the cabin next door were a travelling family with teens, and had the steward open the divider between the two rooms. So, the entire cruise, every morning and evening they would constantly use the balcony as the go-between for the two rooms, so the slams always came in pairs. :mad:

But it wasn't just them though. It also seemed like the cabins above us and below us slammed with abandon and delight. Weirdly, our door did not slam. It had very "soft" hinges, and even when we were fully underway at sea, I could open it, and completely let it go, and it would not slam. I would have had to pull it very forcefully in order for it to do so.

So, either cabin #7317 has a very special, specially-engineered, anti-slamming beta-prototype of a door, that I hope Carnival will soon implement fleet-wide, OR, people around us were just a55holes. I'm going with theory "B".

Interestingly, or perhaps not, this was just about the only common complaint on the forums that we found to be true to form. Nearly every other common complaint that you hear (Walmart of the seas, robes in buffet, boorish behavior in public areas), we found to be untrue - so much so, that I entitled my review "Debunking the myths", which I will, at some point, hopefully have a chance to get back to finishing. :rolleyes: (Sidebar: re-adjusting to life on land is hard. I think we all know what that means... :cool:)

But yeah, the door-slamming was an issue for us too. Not enough to adversely affect the vacation, but VERY annoying nonetheless.

My sincere apologies. I know that we were guilty of door slamming. I tried to remind the kids to not let it slam, but it happened and it happened a lot. I'll have to book more cruises so the kids can get better practice at not letting the door slam shut.:D

One of the things I wish Carnival would put on a

"please do not do" list on the back of the cabin door.

Agreed--the note about keeping the door closed due to A/C could also have a note about please not letting the door slam.

On our last cruise on Freedom our aft balcony door did not slam but closed very gently which was soooooooo nice. The doors in the cabins around us however, slammed. I wish people realized how jolting the sound can be. While I do believe some people just don't realize it, I think some others just don't care.

Last fall, on the Magic, in the Mediterranean, I am sure the women in the cabin across the hall from us considered herself the "official alarm clocks" for the extended group they travelled with her, and I am only guessing, but perhaps 6 cabins next door to each other along the hallway, and the doors slammed every single time any of them came in or went out (that we noticed while we were in our cabin and usually sleeping), and the "gang leader" opened and slammed her cabin door every morning at about 7:00 a.m. and "called" down the hall to the rest of the cabins to get up and get ready...really? never heard of a phone?? The first morning she was out there hollering down the hall to the rest of the cabins, I actually ran to our door expecting to see a fire and asked what was the emergency for the loud screaming??? "nothing, no emergency" !!!

We certainly never had to use an alarm clock between her and the cabin steward bringing her coffee and her loudly discussing the weather for the day.

He told us later that he was embarassed at how loud she was talking and he tried to suggest a quieter voice...didn't work.

Kwagmyre, The exact scenario happened on the Miracle last month. I think at least three cabins were connected for families - so the slamming never happened one at a time - at least two or three. That was to our left -now to our right was a family with ?teens who played the bongos! The young man was told by his father to stop playing - he loudly argued that it was for him to relax - Granted the time was limited to late afternoons.

I would clearly correct my daughters from the balcony about not slamming the doors "because it is very loud and not respectful to the neighbors" - I am confident I was heard but no lessons learned that week.....

I think I need to rethink my room category - you just can't choose your neighbors. I am liking the family suite on NCL - no slamming or smoking, (no fresh air or ocean sounds) But extra space and views..... Time to plan another one........

Archived