THUNK! Seriously, what is with all the door slamming?

JokerABC

Is it just me, or do people just don't have any regard for the noise and vibrations created when they let the door slam. This includes the main cabin door and the balcony door. Since the design of Carnival ships have a door to the balcony, it is always slamming! The balcony door probably creates worse vibrations. Need to change the design to sliding doors maybe.

Was on the Carnival Glory and this is all I heard every 10 minutes. Heard a little old lady (probably in her 80's) in the elevator saying she "jumps" everytime she heard all the door slamming!

I always try to make sure I don't slam my balcony door or my cabin door, and I try and always make sure to shut the balcony door before I open the main cabin door. I'm sure most of the time it's accidental, but as much as I hate to say it, a lot of people just have no regard for those around them. I do.

I always try to make sure I don't slam my balcony door or my cabin door, and I try and always make sure to shut the balcony door before I open the main cabin door. I'm sure most of the time it's accidental, but as much as I hate to say it, a lot of people just have no regard for those around them. I do.

My BF had to point out that I was letting the door slam because I really didn't notice it. Of course once he pointed it out, I started noticing all the people that slammed their doors.

I think you're right, ... about it mostly being accidental, but they'll always be those that don't give a darn. ;)

I admit our balcony door has slammed numerous times..... not intentionally, but it the way the wind may close it quicker than we thought!!

We also have been victims of the "TORNADO"! that happens when both balcony doors and room doors are open at once.... watch out!!

Catrin

I've never been bothered by it.. but 3 out of our last 4 doors didn't actually slam anyway. Both OS's closed quietly and slowly... the aft wrap didn't close at all unless we manually closed it (which was awesome), and the only one that did slam was the regular balcony room. That cruise, when it did slam, it was a mistake and I just wasn't used to having to worry about that....

It's just not on Carnival ships. On the Volendam we had an OV two cabins from being under the doors to the promenade above. Every time the doors were used they 'thunked' loudly. Never heard our neighbors.

Heard a lot slamming of doors and drawers on my rencent Miracle sailing -- just returned yesterday. Better than hearing passenger noise in the hallways! Other than that, it was very, very quiet in the cabin.

Most times it is not intentional. Depending on weather conditions, you may need to slam the balcony door to make sure it is fully shut. Otherwise, you will hear the wind "howling" meaning that the door is not shut properly. If you have both cabin door and balcony door opened, your cabin door will slam shut.

I really believe 99% of the time it is not intentional.

MARAPRINCE

It is because we live in a world of selfish people that only think about themselves and are not considerate of their neighbors. Totally agree with you. When my door has slammed, it has been on mere accident because I had my hands full and unable to stop it before it slammed. The doors are designed to self-close so if you don't grab it to manually close, they will slam every time.

I wish I could remember our cabin # on one of our Conquest cruises, but us and our neighbors thought that each other were continually slamming our doors. It turned out to be a public restroom below us with metal latches on the doors.The sound carried through like you would not believe..We were wondering just how many people needed a public BR at 3 am ? Another time on the Ecstasy, they were working on the ship in the day time pounding metal with a hammer..It sounded like right outside our cabin, but actually was half way down the ship from us..Sound carries very well through metal.

Can you still use bungee cords to keep the door open?? It's been a while since I've been on a CCL ship... Princess has sliding doors.....I think those probably take the cake for noise...the metal on metal and then the "thunk" 6am every morning...oye

I agree with the others that said people just don't have common courtesy. People who yell and talk loudly in the hallways also are probably the ones that slam the doors.

That being said, I'm sure these people act that way at home too. They're probably always yelling inside/outside the house, slamming doors, and making all kinds of "noise pollution", without any care of how if may affect anyone else (neighbors) around them.

Think its custom in america to slam the door.

Haha, I'll agree on this one!

LIke JerseyGirlJen and others say, I think these people are the same way at home and have no regard to how others feel. Was on the Valor in March of this year, and the door slamming was ridiculous.

You start hearing the slamming at 7am, even earlier on port days when people have to get to their excursions. And you hear all those balcony doors slamming from people going to the balcony when they first wake up! (Not that I don't like to do that, but I'm quiet)

Think its custom in america to slam the door.

Absolutely not! Most people actually don't slam doors, but there are those...

I agree with the others that said people just don't have common courtesy. People who yell and talk loudly in the hallways also are probably the ones that slam the doors.

That being said, I'm sure these people act that way at home too. They're probably always yelling inside/outside the house, slamming doors, and making all kinds of "noise pollution", without any care of how if may affect anyone else (neighbors) around them.

+1

This is one of my pet peeves of cruising! No matter which cruise line we can always here doors slamming up and down the hall. Sometimes it's the cabin door and sometimes it's the balcony door. And lots of times it's very late at night which wakes us up. I was raised to not slam doors so I don't do it at home or on a cruise ship.

I agree with the others that said people just don't have common courtesy.

People who yell and talk loudly in the hallways also are probably the ones that slam the doors.

That being said, I'm sure these people act that way at home too.

They're probably always yelling inside/outside the house, slamming doors, and making all kinds of "noise pollution",

without any care of how if may affect anyone else (neighbors) around them.

How can you say that?? "All men are created equal" dontcha know... :cool:

I think the young ones contribute to a lot of the hall noise and door slamming. I know I have to keep after my kids CONSTANTLY about being courteous to others when coming up and down the halls. They're just kids, you know? They're so excited and happy to be there, and be allowed OUT at night, that I think they get a little too exuberent sometimes. Maybe some of the adults too, for that matter. ;)

Archived