Shoes & handbags

I wouldn't say it's out of fashion (can you really go wrong with black pumps and a black bag?), but it's a rather dated philosophy. They don't have to match; they just have to work together. For instance, I have a pair of colorful floral pumps...I use a bag with one of the colors in the shoe. I mix all the time...rarely do my bag and shoes match. The only exception to this is business trips when I try to pare down packing and just bring one pair of shoes and one bag - I stick to black.

The bag/shoe matching is strictly personal preference and style, not a matter of being in fashion. I prefer to "go" rather than match, because it makes life easier for me, and I was never a bag/shoe matcher anyway. On cruises, I often bring one bag for day(some kind of shopper/tote size), something to carry my cards in around the ship during at sea days(in case I have no pockets), and one for evening(something small and often a clutch or wristlet sized), and both bags are in universal neutral colors that go with everything(navy, metallics, tan, etc). This year, I'm carrying a raffia straw bag for the day and probably some kind of beaded clutch for night. The evening bag only needs to be big enough to carry your room key card and ship card(the one you make onboard purchases and use to get on and off the ship at port calls), and a lipstick/gloss and compact(okay, maybe a mini sewing kit and some double sided tape for emergency wardrobe malfunctions<lol>)

I never try to match shoes and bag on purpose. I suppose sometimes it works out that way, as in black shoes and bag, but I actually don't like the look. I prefer bags that either 'go' with the shoes or pop another color.

It looks very 'Queen Elizabeth', that is, old-fashioned and uber conservative, to me. But, it's not really wrong, just a personal preference.

Also, I don't like changing bags constantly, so I will, unless going for a more stylish look than is normal here in our area, or for some special outfit, tend to use the same bag for a few weeks.

Thank you all for the info. I still try to match the shoes and bag. But now I feel that I don't have to. I can pick up one color and go with that for both or not. Now this gives me more choices.

I do both ways depending on the choices that I have with the outfit.

I was going to ask a similar question. I was planing on wearing cream heels and bought a bag that i though that would match. Tried it on with an outfit the other day and it looks hideous. I then decided to take my black heels instead as they didn't hurt as much as the cream ones. but was now worried my shoes wouldn't go with my bag.

Redish cream alligator looking hand bag with black heels?

I was going to ask a similar question. I was planing on wearing cream heels and bought a bag that i though that would match. Tried it on with an outfit the other day and it looks hideous. I then decided to take my black heels instead as they didn't hurt as much as the cream ones. but was now worried my shoes wouldn't go with my bag.

Redish cream alligator looking hand bag with black heels?

I think it would look great, from your description. You must not watch 'What Not to Wear' much. They practically have a stroke at the thought of matching bags and shoes. They like a pop of a different color to accent an outfit.

Those type of shows are normally on , on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon as a kind of gap filler show.If they are on i watch them and sometimes think i wish they would come and help me revamp my wardrobe. Other times i am like OMG that looks so ugly on them why are they forcing it on her. Ive always tried to match shoes with handbag or jacket. Its good to know i don't HAVE TO now.

I love the show, but I agree, there are times when the fashions they recommend just don't work for the person. For me, for instance, the whole jacket thing only works about two months of the year in Nebr.

They love a jacket with a defined waist. I do too. But, it's too warm at least four, maybe five months here and too cold in the winter unless you wear a winter coat over it, which I find uncomfortable.

I'd love a make-over though, especially advise on make-up as I age. And it can be hard to find clothes that are fashionable yet not too young. I don't want to dress like my 90 year old Mom, but I don't want to look desperate to look young either.

Also, they have a very big-city vibe and really don't understand how casual life is in many suburbs, and definitely out here in rural Nebraska.

if 'What Not to Wear' came to my home they would throw every thing I have out! I love lots of color and crazy fabrics. When I try on a outfit that is not colorful it doesn't look like me.

Nelie,

what color is the outfit that your will wear?

Maybe I'm too young to find matching my bags and shoes dated and conservative... because I don't think I'm either of those things and I always try to match them :eek:

At least when I'm wearing formal wear. Any other time I like to have two or three colours in my outfit and match at least some of my accessories together (belt, bag, shoes, scarf) or then match my jacket with my shoes and my scarf with bag, for example.

When I was a kid, it was a "must" to have matching lipstick and nail polish. I'm so glad those days are over :D

Geo I am so with u. Colour, colour colour. In my late teens early 20's dated this control freak who dictated everything including my wardrobe. Browns creams and a lot of blah colours were in my wardrobe as well as me having chin lenghth hair. This style suits some but was unflattering for me. Once I kicked him to the curb and started getting help from family and friends and justtalikng to people in general they made me realise this was his way of hiding me from the world. He didn't want people to notice me because then they would realise how special I was and then I would realise and leave him. Which I did anyway. I threw out 2/3 of my wardrobe and started buying lots of bright colours. It took me years to start wearing browns and creams again. Now when I wear it, I really sell it. Oh and grew my hair real long .

Ok ill be bringing 1 handbag for night time for a 27 day holiday, eek. I thought it was cream but compared to other cream stuff it has a red tinge .

I'll be wearing a red/orange dress with black slip to match shoes ekkkk

Black pants, blue top or pink top

Light green pants, green top or black with green purple floral

Tan skirt white top

Blue floral shirt cream top.

I'm not one of those people who picks 3 colours to mix and match

About ten years ago I was engaged to a guy who told me that the only acceptable colours to wear were black, white, grey, chocolate and navy. No patterns what so ever. Pinstripe suit was pushing it.

If I bought yellow flip flops or a turquoise scarf and wore them outside he stared at me and asked very pointedly: "Are you going to wear THOSE outside where people can see you with me?"

He felt people would laugh at HIM. Creep. :rolleyes:

My husband loves orange and wears pink shirts without so much as batting an eyelid. He only resists floral patterns :D

P.S I still wear white. The other colours mentioned above... maybe twice a year. :p

Yikes! Talk about some controlling guys. My husband would get laughed off the planet by me if he demanded I wear certain colors only. I'm glad you are both rid of those creeps.

I like basic colors and lots of other colors as well. Patterns, not as much, unless they are smaller, mostly because I am small and tend to look silly in a big, overall patterns; ok for a top or a scarf or something though.

Archived