Cancelled Excursion - Grand Conspiracy?

I took a little liberty with the Thread Title.

Three weeks ago we booked and paid for an excursion on our 29 July sailing of the Pride. I got a form email this morning notifying me that the excursion was cancelled. The spot where the explanation was supposed to go was blank. We bought the last slot on the excursion. Can we be bumped so that someone with status can book the excursion?

Three weeks ago we booked and paid for an excursion on our 29 July sailing of the Pride. I got a form email this morning notifying me that the excursion was cancelled. The spot where the explanation was supposed to go was blank. We bought the last slot on the excursion. Can we be bumped so that someone with status can book the excursion?

I don't know, but you could email shoreexcursions@carnival.com and ask what happened. Give them the ship/saildate/name of excursion

I'm not aware of Platinum status having any bumping rights on excursions. It's possible that the excursion had to be downsized due to space considerations if they had to change mode of transportation or something like that.

Most platinums know enough to book privately so dont think that is the reason.

We are Platinum and NEVER book privately. Our excursion (Carnival sponsored) was late once, and they held the ship, so we decided to always book through Carnival after that. Also, while we were on the maiden voyage of the Breeze, our stop in Livorno was cancelled and moved to the next day because the port authority messed up and had a ship in our birth on the day we were supposed to arrive. This caused a change in our itinerary and we also lost the port of Marseilles in this process. Several guests who had private excursions lost deposits and some lost all of their money as the private tour companies were not flexible. Since we were booked through Carnival, we received a full refund for the missed excursion in Marseilles, and they automatically changed our Livorno tours without us having to do anything. We are platinum and will NEVER book privately.

Sometimes, CC writers makes people think bad things, as you usually here stories about cruise lines doing bad. I like to be more positive and upbeat.

We have had tours cancelled before because there were not enough people on it(not the reason in your case) or they might have cancelled it because a problem with the tour, safety, area, tour company. We were on the Splendor in Feb.,2012 when people were robbed at gunpoint in PV(not us but heard enough about it for days while on the ship) and they cancelled those tours and that tour company from that day on. Also, if a tour company uses boats/bus/vehicle/euipment and there are other reasons to cancel the tour as bad equipment, not registered, not insured any long-I could go on and on. I would check with Shore Excursions like the other posted said and maybe push the issue up the Carnival ladder. If that does not work, first thing when you get on the ship is have one of you and see if the tour is available. When they say no, ask if it is full or no longer available. If they say it is full, ask for the the head of shore excursions or the Hotel Manager, show them your paperwork showing you paid and then it was cancelled and push the issue. If it is no longer scheduled, then you have your answer and know you were not lied to. I hope you were not lied to-would be very disappointing.

I agree most people who cruise a lot don't book with the ship. The only time I do is if the tour is more then 30 mins. away or it gets back to close to ship sailing. You won't see me runnig down the dock to get back. I always have a plan b when I book.I'm platinum and don't know of any bumping rights. I have been told they were full before.

No bumping privileges that I'm aware of. Otherwise, wouldn't it be hard for those not platinum to get on excursions? While some on CC may have you believe that the majority of platinums may book privately, I don't know if this is true, as I have not surveyed 100% of all platinum cruisers on all sailings to see how many book privately, how many just hang out on ship or in port, or how many take Carnival excursions.

I book through the cruise line and privately. I only do private if the tour company has a full refund policy should you miss the port it if you don't pay until you actually do the excursion. In many cases, the savings are so insignificant that it's not worth the additional hassle to book privately. Other times, the cruise line has it set so you can only purchase from the cruise line. If sailing solo, I only book through the cruise line.

That said, there is no perk that allows for priority in excursions for platinum or higher. Sometimes excursions are just cancelled. It could be due to complaints, lack of insurance, safety concerns, etc. Continue to check until you sail and check on board. Enjoy your cruise.

We had a large group on the Pride a couple of years ago. Many booked an excursion that was very limited in size with only those in our group on the excursion. Anyhow, the computer system allowed overbooking of the excursion and one of the guests confirmed on the excursion got a note in their cabin during the cruise that the excursion had been cancelled. Obviously, we knew this was not true...the dishonesty was the biggest problem in this situation. I am not sure how they decided who to bump as I never looked into the order of reservations. Oh, and we all booked before boarding so they did not hold spots back but of course people could cancel so just because it is not available before the sailing does not mean that it would not be available on board. I am not saying that happens a lot but it certainly does happen.

I book through the cruise line and privately. I only do private if the tour company has a full refund policy should you miss the port it if you don't pay until you actually do the excursion. In many cases, the savings are so insignificant that it's not worth the additional hassle to book privately. Other times, the cruise line has it set so you can only purchase from the cruise line. If sailing solo, I only book through the cruise line.

That said, there is no perk that allows for priority in excursions for platinum or higher. Sometimes excursions are just cancelled. It could be due to complaints, lack of insurance, safety concerns, etc. Continue to check until you sail and check on board. Enjoy your cruise.

In Europe and quite aways to travel might do it thru the ship.

Also do not pay in advance. We let the tour company know that as long as the ship makes the port we will be there and if they are not satisfied oh well lets find another tour company.

Always make sure the tour is scheudled back at least 90 minutes before sail time to give us just in case time.

Private tours we have found are better, less crowded and cheaper.

Thanks for the responses - even the judgmental ones! ;)

This may be my first cruise with Carnival (and my second cruise over all), but I am no rookie to traveling. I booked this excursion through Carnival for the reasons mentioned above (mainly it being Carnival's responsibility to get us back on the ship) AND because, with the shore excursion coupon code, the cost through Carnival was the same as booking directly with the company.

I was being vague earlier about the specific excursion because I didn't want to accidentally damage my chances are fixing it. However, I think that I might as well share it to provide a clear picture.

The excursion was the Open Ocean Dolphin Swim put on by Unexso.

1) I sent an email to the Carnival Shore Excursions group. Am awaiting a response.

2) I contacted Unexso directly to inquire about booking the excursion through them. I provided the date and ship name. The response I received was "This program can only be book [sic] through Carnival Pride as all of our spaces have already been given to them."

3) The two other Unexso dolphin excursions are still listed on the Carnival site. The other dolphin swim is full (and is the only one we would have chosen as an alternative). The other is still available but not something of interest to us.

I will definitely check with the Excursions Desk once onboard. I have to go pick my HMC cabana anyways! :)

As a positive alternative have you gone to ports of call for info?

Have a great cruise.

Stu,

I have. Thinking we might head to Dead Man's Reef. Something low key and easy rather than hectic. Assuming that we can find a way to get back ON to the dolphin excursion - if it still exists.

We are Platinum and NEVER book privately. Our excursion (Carnival sponsored) was late once, and they held the ship, so we decided to always book through Carnival after that. Also, while we were on the maiden voyage of the Breeze, our stop in Livorno was cancelled and moved to the next day because the port authority messed up and had a ship in our birth on the day we were supposed to arrive. This caused a change in our itinerary and we also lost the port of Marseilles in this process. Several guests who had private excursions lost deposits and some lost all of their money as the private tour companies were not flexible. Since we were booked through Carnival, we received a full refund for the missed excursion in Marseilles, and they automatically changed our Livorno tours without us having to do anything. We are platinum and will NEVER book privately.

My experience is a little different from yours. I know of one group of people that may have lost their money, and there may be a couple more that I am not aware of, but I know of many private excursions that were able to be switched without losing any money.

I think that when someone books a private tour, the details need to be worked out prior to making the final arrangements. One good question to ask is do we pay you on the day of the tour? If the tour company says they want the money upfront, I would not book the tour or at minimun, I would find out what happens if the ship doesnt make the port. This was my 12th cruise, and I have never lost money on an excursion by booking privately or with Carnival. We book some times privately, and maybe 5 to 10 percent of the time, with Carnival.

I agree most people who cruise a lot don't book with the ship. The only time I do is if the tour is more then 30 mins. away or it gets back to close to ship sailing. You won't see me runnig down the dock to get back. I always have a plan b when I book.I'm platinum and don't know of any bumping rights. I have been told they were full before.

I agree. There was a tour in Puerto Rico we wanted to do and I was sckeptical as to whether or not a private tour company would get me to the ship on time, so we booked with Carnival. I must admit though, we were running late and there was some kid crying because she was afraid the ship would leave us behind. We got there on time though but it meant that we shortened our turn to go out into the bay, which then made the excursion not worth the effort.

I was comfortable though, knowing that even if we were late, CArnival would wait for us to return to the ship!:)

I think you bring up a good point - I took an excursion differently from the rest of my family members and booked with Carnival, figuring a women could do that safely and if I ran into trouble, I would have help or at least, advice!

I hope you get to go on that excursion. It was an amazing and breath taking experience.

Do Check on board. Prior to sailing after I had booked, I checked to see that it was sold out however when I got to the actual excursion only myself and two others were there, and we weren't missing anyone, and the tour takes up to six.

Archived