Horror in Boston-Carnival Glory June 10

bhanback

Wow, that's surprising to hear. I was just at the Boston terminal on June 8th to board my Norwegian cruise, and I was very impressed with the embarkation process. We arrived at 11, and as soon as we got out of the car a porter arrived to take our luggage. The staff at the terminal directed us to have our passports out and told us where to go. About 10-15 minutes later we were checked in. Then we spent about 30 minutes waiting for the ship to be cleared for boarding. Once people began boarding, we got on about 10-12 minutes later. The entire process was smooth and easy, and the staff members were nice and helpful. I believe these are the same terminal staff members that Carnival uses?

Once, at the museum I worked at several years ago, we had a group of about 120 people (families) arriving at our hall all for a speaker who was to do a presentation. But the speaker's plane had been delayed, and there were further delays at the airport, so he was still an hour away.

Here's a strange thing. We simply told people the truth. We gave them the option of working on a craft project while they waited, or wandering the museum until the speaker arrived, or simply sitting around and waiting. Only a few of our customers made a big deal out of it, but most took it in stride. The speaker arrived, did his talk, great success.

The point is, most people understand that problems arise in day to day processes, and if they're treated honestly and respectfully everything tends to run much more smoothly. Carnival (or whoever was contracted to handle the boarding) in this case seems to have acted like a bunch of bumbling, arrogant idiots. I'd rather know that there's a two or three hour delay, than to stand around minute by minute not knowing whether it will be a quarter hour or most of the day. Especially if the decision making of people in charge seems to have fallen apart. Who was running that show, the captain of Costa Concordia?

Hi...I'm back.....no offense taken by rude remarks....I have read some reviews that take forty seven posts just to get out of the airport :). I do not really think that the whole mess was Carnival's fault.....well, maybe the computer thing. It was just that the people working the embarkation were so disorganized, inattentive and just did not seem to care at all. I could never figure out who these people worked for. That is why I said their badges said Massport and Interline on them. If they had not stood around socializing all morning and had gone upstairs to set up earlier they could have at least been prepared with information to give boarding passengers with questions.

The airport experience we had was just fine and the airport employees were friendly and helpful. Boston is a beautiful city and the folks we talked to there were great, so the horrible time we had at the pier really stood out for me. We had not planned on arriving at the pier so early, but with the fire alarm at the hotel and the strobe lights in the hallway (enough to give someone a seizure), we decided to go to the pier. In that part of Boston there did not seem to be any coffee shops or restaurants open on Sunday morning that we could go to to pass some time. They might be there, but as visitors we did not know of anyplace to go with our luggage to kill some time. I was not upset about the wait. I saw a lot of people getting treated in a rude, high handed manner and that just gets to me.

I'll be posting the cruise review this evening, hoping I can figure out to post pictures!

Once, at the museum I worked at several years ago, we had a group of about 120 people (families) arriving at our hall all for a speaker who was to do a presentation. But the speaker's plane had been delayed, and there were further delays at the airport, so he was still an hour away.

Here's a strange thing. We simply told people the truth. We gave them the option of working on a craft project while they waited, or wandering the museum until the speaker arrived, or simply sitting around and waiting. Only a few of our customers made a big deal out of it, but most took it in stride. The speaker arrived, did his talk, great success.

The point is, most people understand that problems arise in day to day processes, and if they're treated honestly and respectfully everything tends to run much more smoothly. Carnival (or whoever was contracted to handle the boarding) in this case seems to have acted like a bunch of bumbling, arrogant idiots. I'd rather know that there's a two or three hour delay, than to stand around minute by minute not knowing whether it will be a quarter hour or most of the day. Especially if the decision making of people in charge seems to have fallen apart. Who was running that show, the captain of Costa Concordia?

Excellent post. Love a voice of reason.

While it's true the OP and Sis panicked and left their hotel for the port way too early and the debarkation of the prior cruise was yet completed (perhaps the horrid meal at Morton's was to blame for upsetting their thinking:D), it doe sound like the Massport staff wasn't prepped for the embarkation and the employees there were in a bit of a snit and "soup n**i" mode. :eek:

I do hope we hear a better attitude rising out of this chaotic beginning once "Doris and Otis" board the ship.;)

Hi bhanback (sorry I don't know the protocol for addressing an individual)

we are staying at the seaport on the 20th July prior to our cruise too - how was the hotel ? We were also thinking of having dinner at the barking crab - was it good and also how long did it take you to walk to the terminal we were going to do that too :)

We hope they get their act together at the port - sorry you had such a bad time. Is there any way of contacting any one in authority before we go to find out what they are doing about the problems ?

Notes for the next time...there is a Dunkin Donuts on Seaport Blvd. And an alternative to the chain places is Sal's Pizza (Salvatore's, now) down near the fishing pier with humugous portions of good Italian food. Tamo's in the seaport Hotel is suppose to be very nice, but a little pricy.

The Boston boarding process sounds terrible, sorry to hear that.

I'm sailing on an NCL ship to Bermuda in Sept out of Boston. I just posted a thread over there to see if anyone has had issues in Boston with NCL because I have been keeping up with all Boston/Dawn threads over there due to the cruise I have booked and I have seen no threads with this complaint.

I hope to find out if they (NCL cruisers) have had the same issue, so I can be prepared.

1. The weather that the previous cruise encountered means nothing to you btw. What matters to you is that you booked a northern cruise for June...notorious for so so weather....I took this cruise in August...and the weather was magnificent...thought we were in the Carib.

2. You arrived at the port way too early therefore, you encountered issues that you would not have had you arrived around 12:30.

Not sayin you are not justified in your opinion...just sayin that had you arrived later....

Just like when there is a backup on the highway at 8am due to an accident....the folks that pass thru after the accident is cleared...do not experience it....the backup that is.

we are staying at the seaport on the 20th July prior to our cruise too - how was the hotel ? We were also thinking of having dinner at the barking crab - was it good and also how long did it take you to walk to the terminal we were going to do that too :)

We hope they get their act together at the port - sorry you had such a bad time. Is there any way of contacting any one in authority before we go to find out what they are doing about the problems ?

Barking crab I hear is great. ( I do not do seafood) And the ship itself is nested in the port . Not a friendly area to get in and out of. I am not sure I would walk myself.. DO not contact massport they will yes you to death and not care. Just a fyi.

1. The weather that the previous cruise encountered means nothing to you btw. What matters to you is that you booked a northern cruise for June...notorious for so so weather....I took this cruise in August...and the weather was magnificent...thought we were in the Carib.

2. You arrived at the port way too early therefore, you encountered issues that you would not have had you arrived around 12:30.

Not sayin you are not justified in your opinion...just sayin that had you arrived later....

Just like when there is a backup on the highway at 8am due to an accident....the folks that pass thru after the accident is cleared...do not experience it....the backup that is.

Wrong, I will say this the weather although rocky one day back was not bad and the terminal was still a mess at 12:30 I hear it was still a mess at 3. They started special assist boarding around 12 so it was a cluster all day.

We considered this cruise last minute, well 2 weeks out but went with the Pride out of Baltimore instead. Had to look for ports that we didn't have to fly with the cost of airfare so high. Sorry to hear about the awful embarkation process you endured. Hope the rest of your cruise was better!

Hi! We enjoyed the Seaport hotel, it was clean, quiet, comfortable! Very beautiful too, and we walked up the the aquarium, took the Duck tour from there, saw the IMAX film, walked back, and never felt uncomfortable as though we were in an unsafe neighborhood. They have the Keurig coffee makers in the rooms at the Seaport, they make awesome coffee!

Barking Crab for lunch. My sister had a lobster roll and I got scallops. Both were excellent, and the weather was perfect for sitting outside on the deck. Lunch was a little pricey, at 60.00 for the two of us, and we did not even order drinks, just iced tea! While we were there a group of guys ordered the ten pound lobster for $215.00..... It was amazing!

I did not find it a bad walk to the pier from the hotel. We each had a rolling suitcase and a carry on. I guess it was about four to five blocks, took us about 15 minutes, and again, we saw joggers and ladies pushing strollers out for an early morning walk, no unsavory characters at all.

I hope you all have a great time in Boston and a wonderful cruise!

Wrong, I will say this the weather although rocky one day back was not bad and the terminal was still a mess at 12:30 I hear it was still a mess at 3. They started special assist boarding around 12 so it was a cluster all day.

Thanks for the back up! we may also mention that we were scheduled for sail away at 4 pm. But due to all the problems with embarkation we did not leave till 7. I don't think we had it as bad as the previous cruise, but it was still the worst I have seen. I am no expert but have boarded in Miami, Tampa, Norfolk, Baltimore........and now Boston.

I don't think the weather was an issue with the Glory returning to Boston, when we got there, early, I know.....it was at the pier and had been there for awhile already.

What a horrible boarding process! Im not sure I would have handled it as well as you did OP, and I am hoping that at least your cruise was worth it all after such a bad start. Looking forward to your review.:)

I think most of the problems for you arose from the Jun 3 - 10th glory trip that we were on. We did arrive back to Boston before 7:30am, however they cleared non-US customs on the ship...by the time all non-US citizens were cleared to disembark it was atleast 9:30...some of our passengers were in zone 31 to disembark and we did not get off the ship until 11ish.

There were problems finding some non-US citizens and those pages were being done non-stop.

We had a 1:55pm flight boarding at 1pm on Sunday and we made it to the gate at 12:50, so our cruise was a nightmare from start to finish.

Thanks for the back up! we may also mention that we were scheduled for sail away at 4 pm. But due to all the problems with embarkation we did not leave till 7. I don't think we had it as bad as the previous cruise, but it was still the worst I have seen. I am no expert but have boarded in Miami, Tampa, Norfolk, Baltimore........and now Boston.

I don't think the weather was an issue with the Glory returning to Boston, when we got there, early, I know.....it was at the pier and had been there for awhile already.

We were on the same cruise. It took us 3 hours from parking the car to boarding the ship and we arrived about 12:45 It was horrible. We have cruised from Boston many times and this was just unbelievable.

I believe what you said and the port employees treated you poorly but there must have been issues with CCL or port security.

To let others know that I have driven to the port, offloaded luggage, parked car and was on the ship in a little over a hour on 2 trips with NCL.

This is a good example of a post that should be under the PORT OF CALLS section. I hope you put this in the format of a MEMBER REVIEW also because it will ask you for specifics regarding your embarkation, debarkation, cabin, food etc.

To the posters who have been commenting on Barking Crab, I only have a few words. The " No Name Restaurant is down the street". Barking Crab does not have a good reputation with the locals. Suffice it to say I have been told by people who work in the area that the Board of Health knows them well.

Just sayin :rolleyes:

I was on this cruise as well, and we arrived at 11:15, there were still people debarking as we walked up to the terminal. I don't think it would've mattered what time she arrived. It took us 2 hours from parking to boarding. There were a couple of issues starting with the ship clearing customs late to the computers being down that combined for a slow embark.

I have sailed to Canada 2x in June, 1x in July and 1x in August, this was the 1st time we didn't encounter fog. We got to Halifax in August and you could barely see 20 ft ahead the fog was so bad.

Boston and Massachusetts as a whole has a HUGE security issue, as they were hosts to some 9/11 flights, and they have yet to get a clue. It's third world treatment. Even New Jersey does it better.

I am SO getting out of the northeast and moving to Florida! :D

Come on down Lou. We have an occasional TFR but they are few and scattered.

Leon

Wow, that's surprising to hear. I was just at the Boston terminal on June 8th to board my Norwegian cruise, and I was very impressed with the embarkation process. We arrived at 11, and as soon as we got out of the car a porter arrived to take our luggage. The staff at the terminal directed us to have our passports out and told us where to go. About 10-15 minutes later we were checked in. Then we spent about 30 minutes waiting for the ship to be cleared for boarding. Once people began boarding, we got on about 10-12 minutes later. The entire process was smooth and easy, and the staff members were nice and helpful. I believe these are the same terminal staff members that Carnival uses?

Yes, Interline works with all the cruise lines.

Someone did post that there was weather that caused delay and also two people they wanted to locate. PLUS computers were not loaded and check-in was being done manually.

Sorry to hear of the boarding ordeal. As I have cruised many times out of CruisePortBoston, I can tell you..... what you experienced was not usual.

That being said.... we embarked on June 14th at 11:25 and were on the ship before noon. BUT guests that came later, after 1:30, were stuck in a Check-in frenzy.

As far as the Porters..... not one approached us as we came towards them and there were at least 4 guys standing there, just standing there. We pulled our luggage past them and a woman porter approached us and took our luggage. I tipped her and thanked her. After she took our bags, my niece who was traveling with me, stopped her as she started to walk away with our bags. She wanted to give her a tip too.

The porter stopped and said, "Thank you! It is SO NICE to have a young person aggressively come to give a gratuity! You don't see that very often."

I was SO Proud of my niece Melanie.

Archived