Best seasickness prevention? Alaskan cruise

totallynewtocruising

We're doing the inside passage, 7 day, Whittier to Vancouver. Hubby has had seasickness in the past, even gets sick on small airplanes. In Africa three years ago they gave him a small white pill that worked well for him, but he doesn't know what it was called. He has some medical issues so he's not keen on trying the patch. Anyone know what that white pill might be called?

And what is the state of the art now for sea sickness prevention medicine?

I take Bonine (generic is Meclizine) which was prescribed by my doctor. It's a small white pill. I take it the day before the cruise starts, first thing every morning when I get up, and before I go to bed at night. I only take 1/2 a pill. I'm not really taking it for sea sickness but because I get "reverse motion sickness" when I get back to land.

Bonine is actually an orange chewable? But the generic may be white? This is a good product for a lot of people. I would consult your MD for recommendations. You will get comments that these sailings are "smooth as glass", not always. :) And no guarantees, you are sailing the Gulf, can be very rough.

Bonine is a chewable. The active ingredient in it is meclazine, which is not chewable, but a lot cheaper, if you can find it. They recommended dosage is one per day, I believe.

Some people are more apt to get sick by very calm waters vs. rough waters. I am one of them. Dramanine has been around forever and works for many. Walgreen sells a generic for half the price, same for the non drowsy version that worked well for me. Take it each morning. BEFORE you get sick.

Bonine is a non-drowsy medicine. If you happen to get nausea, candied ginger is a good remedy. Just a one piece is enough in most cases.

Larry

We bought the generic Meclizine for 1/8 the price of Bonine. It comes in a small bottle of 100 for $5.95. It has an expiration date of 2008, so it will be good for many cruise yet to come.

And, YES, just because we had the 'sheet of glass' experience, doesn't mean you will. Better to take precaustions in advance than be sorry.

I love the accupressure wrist band, it really does work and no side effects from medication.

I agree. The wrist bands "Seabands" are great. Sold at Walmart, my son gets very seasick, we tried the bands and they have worked like a charm. They even sell them aboard the ships. :)

I take Bonine (generic is Meclizine) which was prescribed by my doctor. It's a small white pill. I take it the day before the cruise starts, first thing every morning when I get up, and before I go to bed at night. I only take 1/2 a pill. I'm not really taking it for sea sickness but because I get "reverse motion sickness" when I get back to land.

I never get seasick either, but after all of my cruises, I experience several weeks of whirliness when I return home, that is, I feel somewhat dizzy and feel like I am still on a ship. I would be thrilled if Bonine helps this problem!

I just bought 100 25/mg meclizine at Sams Club for $4.80. They are chewable which I have never had before and are sold over the counter. You have to ask the pharmicist for them. I've used them on all 6 cruises and they have worked great. Istart taking them the day before I get on the ship. I'm one that even the merry go round starets to get to.

The meclizine I have is prescription only so it must be stronger. Also the bands, drammaine, etc. don't work for everyone. They are useless on my seasickness so i have to take Rx meds (Mec & Scop patch). Even with the patch if I am on rough water, I can't eat otherwise I get sick. So everyone is reacts differently to treatments and what works for one person may be ineffective on another.

In the past I've also gotten the 50mg without presription. With the 25mg, I just take 2. Sams stocks the 25mg but you can request the 50mg. My neighbor gets very sick on planes and thrill rides but not ships. He needed it for the airplane ride so he took it for a "test drive" on thriller rides in Las Vegas. It worked great. He had a non eventful flight too.

I agree with MaryEllen, sea sickness remedies don't work the same for every one. For example, "lmcd" mentioned that Bonine was non-drowsy. For me, it makes me very drowsy. But, that hasn't stopped me from using it. I take my first pill the night before I cruise and continue taking the pills each night while on the cruise. By taking it at night, I get a better sleep and it doesn't interfer with my activities during the days. I have never experienced sea sickness while using Bonine. I would recommend trying various sea sickness preventative methods to see what works best for your body chemistry. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

All the seasickness talk is forgetting one very important factor. When you cruise, most people like to have an alcoholic beverage or two.:) While on these meds listed above, you cannot combine the alcohol with them:( . Some people become very sleepy/groggy:p , others get nausea. Try sipping on ginger ale soda, ginger candy, peppermint candy, or the Seabands before you get on the ship. Although if you don't drink or aren't a " partier", then by all means try one of the drugs listed above.

4 days til I cruise, Alaska, Diamond

Be sure to check for medication interactions with meclizine before taking....the pharmacist will be able to advise you...it may not be taken with several types of antihypertensives and some cardiac medicines.

If you prefer non-pharmacologic intervention there is a lot of research that states that the "Sea Bands" or similar accupressure bracelets are quite effective if worn correctly (a good pharmacist may be able to show you positioning for them as well). The candied ginger or scent of peppermint oil (has to be the oil not just a peppermint fragrance) can be helpful treatment if you become nauseated...and although I have never tried this personally there is also a body of research that suggests that capsules of dried ginger taken twice a day for 2 to 3 days prior to motion exposure (in this case begining the cruise) and continued throughout the exposure can be very helpful in preventing nausea....I intend to try it before our June cruise

You can get the Meclizine at ANY drug store/pharmacist. It won't be on the shelf, but if you ask, he will have it, or get it for you. As was said, it's 'over the counter' so anyone who wishes can buy it.

A very good homeopathic product is: Hyland's motion sickness pills.

You can find them at health food stores.

I usually take ginger 3x a day and a bonine at night.

My friend who is prone to sickness, said that Hyland's worked very well.

I bought some for our next trip.

Mari

Threre is a state of the art item called Relief Band,which you can buy on the net.

It is of similar size to a wristwatch and obviously fits on your wrist.It works by sending impulses to the part of your brain that tells you that you feel sick and blocks them.It works as I have one.I was feeling a little rough one afternoon and put on Relief Band and hey presto the nausious feeling disappeared.

The item as invented for morning sickness and was slightly changed for motion sickness.

I bought mine on the net from USA but you live there ,so its a lot cheaper.

The problem with all these remedies is figuring out which one will work. There is really no way to test it out prior to the cruise unless I try one, spin around about 50 times and see if I don't throw up.:( I might just take some Bonine, wear my wrist bands, chew on some ginger and hope for the best. :)

Archived