San Diego Flight Departure Time

Atwell

Anyone have experience in 2012 with disembarkation in San Diego? We are considering a 10:30 a.m. flight but I see comments from 2011 that say the disembarkation process in San Diego can be very slow and suggesting not to book a flight before about 11:30 a.m. I am wondering if anything has changed in the past year. Our TA says Celebrity recommends not booking a flight before 12:45 p.m. and if you do, arrange your own transportation. Comments?

I'm pretty superstitious, and I assume every thing that can go wrong will from fog to the ship being late to slow Customs. You'll have no trouble getting to the airport in about 10 minutes. I would suggest going along with your TA on this one. Much less stressful. Have fun!:D

San Diego is a quick drive or Amtrak trip from home...but if I was flying home, it would have been a push to make a 1230pm flight after one cruise, and I would have missed the flight after the other cruise. And, I self-disembark!

One thing is to check if there are any other ships arriving the same day. That really slows things down in San Diego. Also they don't let any passengers disembark until all non-US citizens clear immigration onboard. There is always one or two no-show parties who seem to miss repeated PA pages throughout the ship and delay everybody!

San Diego is a quick drive or Amtrak trip from home...but if I was flying home, it would have been a push to make a 1230pm flight after one cruise, and I would have missed the flight after the other cruise. And, I self-disembark!

One thing is to check if there are any other ships arriving the same day. That really slows things down in San Diego. Also they don't let any passengers disembark until all non-US citizens clear immigration onboard. There is always one or two no-show parties who seem to miss repeated PA pages throughout the ship and delay everybody!

We are the only ship arriving in port on Feb 17.

I will be on the Century which arrives in San Diego at 7 am on Jan 3 2013. I have a Delta flight that leaves at 3pm.

I have read that you cannot check your luggage at the ariport unless it is 3hours or less for your flight.

My plan is that if I stay on the ship until 9am, and then get luggage, go through customs which is slow I be able to arrive at the airport by noon and then check luggage and go to the Delta Sky Club to wait for my flight.

Does this make sense?

Plan B would be to get off ship ASAP, and plan to see a little of San Diego but what would i do with my luggage before getting to airport by 1:30pm?

I will be on the Century which arrives in San Diego at 7 am on Jan 3 2013. I have a Delta flight that leaves at 3pm.

I have read that you cannot check your luggage at the ariport unless it is 3hours or less for your flight.

My plan is that if I stay on the ship until 9am, and then get luggage, go through customs which is slow I be able to arrive at the airport by noon and then check luggage and go to the Delta Sky Club to wait for my flight.

Does this make sense?

Plan B would be to get off ship ASAP, and plan to see a little of San Diego but what would i do with my luggage before getting to airport by 1:30pm?

You might just try taking your luggage over to the Holiday Inn across the street from the pier and tipping the bellman to hold it for you. That way you could easily walk over to the USS Midway or hop onto the San Diego Trolley and go to Old Town for a quick visit, then collect your luggage and take a cab to the airport (only about $10).

Keep in mind that you may not be able to be off the ship as early at 9AM, esp. if you do not do self-disemarkation.

Splinter,

I have had that suggestion before about the holiday Inn, but I have never heard of anyone who actually did this. In fact, someone did say that it is not allowed.

Who knows???

My best hope is that Luggage Valet is availble on the Century if 25 people sign up for it. Won't know until I am on the ship. If it is then I would certainly do your tour suggestion.

If it takes longer to get off ship than 9:00am and through customs then I can just go to the airport.

thank you for your post. I wish there was ok to just drop off your luggage at curb side Delta eariier that 3 hours before flight at San Diego airport.

Archived