Port Canaveral votes to stop issuing permits to park-and-rides

cespo

Unless I misinterpereted the article, 5 (yes 5) people voted. It won by 1 (yes 1) vote. It was 3 to 2! Pretty small amount of voters, and those who voted are likely locals who don't need nor want parking as they can be dropped off by someone.

I think you are misunderstanding....it is my understanding that there are only 5 people on the Port Authority board, hence only 5 votes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I think you are misunderstanding....it is my understanding that there are only 5 people on the Port Authority board, hence only 5 votes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

You are correct. The board is comprised of 5 members. You can find out who they are at portcanaveral.com. Look under members.

I'm surprised there is not more outrage over this on the board. I will certainly no longer seek out cruises out of Port Canaveral anymore. $17 per day is highway robbery. Charging hotels that allow you to park & stay $50 per trip is ridiculous.

I'll drive a few hours South where the itineraries are better anyway.

Ditto.:mad:

Well that is just plain wrong, I should have a choice where I want to park my car. I understand they make money from the parking but consumers should always have a choice. I see prices going up, up and away..

You do have a choice, you can continue to park where you want--they didn't revoke all permits, simply added a fee and placed a moratorium on new permits.

The places you choose for parking can absorb the additional costs or pass them along to the consumer, their choice--blame them if they raise costs.

If the port didn't raise income in this way they would find another, frankly this is probably the fairest as it affects only those who choose to park offsite, and not those who take car services or cabs from the airports or their homes or who continue to park onsite.

I tried to email the port today, but had trouble with the security code as there was a mess of letters/numbers, but only 3 of the 4 showed up. I called the port and asked where I could send an email and was told to send it to dgreenslade@portcanaveral.com.

Just emailed them to complain about this fee. I too will cruise out of ports not doing this.

I tried to email the port today, but had trouble with the security code as there was a mess of letters/numbers, but only 3 of the 4 showed up. I called the port and asked where I could send an email and was told to send it to dgreenslade@portcanaveral.com.

Just emailed them to complain about this fee. I too will cruise out of ports not doing this.

Put money on it that Tampa will be right behind them.

Last November when I sailed out of Port Canaveral on the Sensation, I was shocked that they charged me for 4 days parking at the Port, not three. I pulled out of my parking spot at 8:00 a.m. and someone pulled into my spot so we were both charged for that day, sounds like double dipping to me.

You can bet your last money that the other cruise ports will soon be doing the same....this is just the beginning. I know Tampa and Miami both have off-site parking lots that charge a lot less than parking at the Port garage.

I know that. Where are these 5 from?

I know that. Where are these 5 from?

Ruth,

Here is the website that shows who the commissioners are:

http://www.portcanaveral.com/general/commissioners.php

The two who voted no are from Cocoa Beach and Titusville. The other three are from Merritt Island, TItusville and Cocoa.

Last November when I sailed out of Port Canaveral on the Sensation, I was shocked that they charged me for 4 days parking at the Port, not three. I pulled out of my parking spot at 8:00 a.m. and someone pulled into my spot so we were both charged for that day, sounds like double dipping to me.

You can bet your last money that the other cruise ports will soon be doing the same....this is just the beginning. I know Tampa and Miami both have off-site parking lots that charge a lot less than parking at the Port garage.

Tattoos,

You are right. They are double dipping and do it on all cruises. It doesn't matter if it's a 3, 4 or 7 day cruise. They are getting double the money on the day the cruise starts. Screw the little guy. Profit comes above anything/everything. How sad!

Ruth,

The two who voted no are from Cocoa Beach and Titusville. The other three are from Merritt Island, TItusville and Cocoa.

Tattoos,

You are right. They are double dipping and do it on all cruises. It doesn't matter if it's a 3, 4 or 7 day cruise. They are getting double the money on the day the cruise starts. Screw the little guy. Profit comes above anything/everything. How sad!

this must be designed by the CCL beards LOL

Ruth,

Tattoos,

And unless you have a carrier attached to your car, handicap parking is not free, even if you carry proper I.D. being handicapped. Miami doesn't require a carrier. I would not be eligible, my scooter is carried "inside" my van.

The easiest way to complain is on the Ports Facebook page. There is a post linking the article on there (for now) that you can comment on. You need to make sure you choose the option to see "posts by others" as opposed to "highlights" with the new fb timeline setup.

http://www.facebook.com/portcanaveral

This really sad. I place a call to a few places where one can park & cruise and they say it is very true. It will take affect in October. Huge meeting last night and all the business owners were there.. they were very vocal but we not heard. Do think it has to do with the economic down fall there.

What they are asking is that we email, call and complain. It may not help...

This one nice lady parkncruise... said she just open the business 6 months ago. She will either have to raise the prices... schedule transportation times..or close down.

Cathy

Ive never sailed out of Port Canaveral, but would it be possibe for hotel shuttles and the likes to simply drop people off across the street from the cruise terminal? Thus eliminating any fees for dropping folks off. I know this wouldnt bother me at all if it were going to save me a $50 fee. Besides, everything in life is about getting ahead by exploiting loopholes anyways!

Well that is just plain wrong, I should have a choice where I want to park my car. I understand they make money from the parking but consumers should always have a choice. I see prices going up, up and away..

You still have a choice, there just may be increase costs with that choice

Where did you find this information. I just reviewed the minutes from meeting and did not see any action on thisitem, only some general parking update. I didn't find it :confused:in any newspapers.

Where did you find the minutes? I can only find the agenda.

I'm pretty sure the person was referring to the distance/time from Disney Int'l to Port ScrewYouCanaveral.

I guess it is relative. Last time there, it took me 45 minutes to get from MCO to my hotel in Cocoa Beach. It has taken me longer to get from FLL to the IC in Miami.

Archived