Port Canaveral votes to stop issuing permits to park-and-rides

cespo

Ive never sailed out of Port Canaveral, but would it be possibe for hotel shuttles and the likes to simply drop people off across the street from the cruise terminal? Thus eliminating any fees for dropping folks off. I know this wouldnt bother me at all if it were going to save me a $50 fee. Besides, everything in life is about getting ahead by exploiting loopholes anyways!

Prolly not.. Ive sailed out of there 2x.. How are you gonna drop little old ladies off across the street with all there luggage? The shuttles ive taken have been full at least 10 to 20 people so if they raised the price 50 per load your actually cost would be no more than 5 dollars if the van had 10 people in it..

This still sucks

You do have a choice, you can continue to park where you want--they didn't revoke all permits, simply added a fee and placed a moratorium on new permits.

The places you choose for parking can absorb the additional costs or pass them along to the consumer, their choice--blame them if they raise costs.

If the port didn't raise income in this way they would find another, frankly this is probably the fairest as it affects only those who choose to park offsite, and not those who take car services or cabs from the airports or their homes or who continue to park onsite.

Probably what will happen is local companies will have to raise prices a little and folks will still do it as its still going to be cheaper for them in the end. The little buses and vans might charge $5 more per head but its still cheaper than parking at the port.

While its sucks, its less unfair than jacking the ships port fees up per every passenger who sails that day. I am really surprised they didnt do that as even then the $ might be minimal pp.

Its definitely wrong how they hit you up for an extra day though. Even Miami doesnt do that. I parked Mon-Fri and was charged for 4 days.

That is really absurd. I only have sailed one time from Port Can. and it was fine but that was a few years ago

This is just a ridiculous idea

Please move Dream, Freedom of Seas to Port of Miami

POM is really the best port around IMHO (yes, better than my hometown Port Everglades which is still pretty good....park and ride is great at both of these)

I guess if some of the other hotels with a cheaper price would let you leave your car for free and you took a cab it would work.The park and cruise hotels that I have used the last few yrs have went up in price. I always go a day or 2 early and use the main hotel right by. Now maybe stay some where cheaper and take a cab. Last yr they started charging 8 day parking for a 7 day cruise. and so on. Seems like its something new all the time. When I was there last Sep.. the bus driver told be they were charging then. But it was 10 dollars a load or something

Ive never sailed out of Port Canaveral, but would it be possibe for hotel shuttles and the likes to simply drop people off across the street from the cruise terminal? Thus eliminating any fees for dropping folks off. I know this wouldnt bother me at all if it were going to save me a $50 fee. Besides, everything in life is about getting ahead by exploiting loopholes anyways!

NO, Port Canveral cruise terminals are an exit off of highway 528. You cant just drop off at the curb across the street.

I can see it now......The new Hotel ads 'Stay with us and we will only charge you $10.00 to shuttle you to the port." This sucks. We were looking at the Dream next year and this will change my miind. We stay at hotels with free shuttles. Then we tip the driver. Bad move PC.

You still have a choice, there just may be increase costs with that choice

Where did you find the minutes? I can only find the agenda.

It is in the Florida Today paper under Brevard County news. Like I mention before, I did call Park & Cruise and the Cape Canaveral Cruise parking. This is all about a money making situation.

Cathy

Last November when I sailed out of Port Canaveral on the Sensation, I was shocked that they charged me for 4 days parking at the Port, not three. I pulled out of my parking spot at 8:00 a.m. and someone pulled into my spot so we were both charged for that day, sounds like double dipping to me.

Many airports do the same thing! It drives me crazy. Any portion of a 24 hour day gets charged the full rate.

I just called two separate park and cruise locations and neither have heard of this yet. The one at the Radisson said their rates are still 5.95 for parking and the shuttle. I wonder how long it'll be before all places are aware of this change and what they will do next. I also think the idea of parking then taking a taxi would be the cheapest I was going to ask the guy at the Radisson if I could do that but they are busy so i kept being placed on hold. >_< and the other location was just plan rude :(

Well I do think this is very crappy of them. We wont have a need to park for the duration of our cruise, we are renting a car at the airport, but returning it to the Budget in Cape Canaveral and being shuttled over. i hope this is not affected, but I dont think it should be since we are not "parking" a vehicle, but returning it but the rental company is shuttling us over....

I'm curious how this new fee structure will work out. All I know is this new fee has too many "ifs" for the traveler. Some say they'll take a cab and that's cheaper. How can it be cheaper than say a $5 fee to ride a shuttle? We are not talking $50 a person, but $50 per shuttle drop off. If a hotel package does includes a free drop off, you can bet your "cruise package" will be a higher cost with the illusion of it being free. Same for car rental drop offs.

Many airports do the same thing! It drives me crazy. Any portion of a 24 hour day gets charged the full rate.

Yes, but airports actually look at the time you arrive vs. the time you leave. If I arrive at 11am Saturday and leave at 9am the next Saturday, I expect to pay for 7 days (11Sa-11Sun, 11Sun-11Mon, etc.), not for 8 days as I still have 2 hours before entering that 8th day of parking.

Just received a 22 page response to my email of yesterday. Snooze and cruise, as they call it, will be exempt per the email.

As many providers pop up charging as little as $4 a day they have lost a huge revenue base and are strong arming the competition instead of competing with them.

I got the same thing. Lots of graphs etc and bs. I wrote in my email to them that I felt they were going to put the small companies out of business. The response was that by allowing these small companies to undercut the prices at the port, they are putting people out of business at the port.

They just don't care!

I got the same thing. Lots of graphs etc and bs. I wrote in my email to them that I felt they were going to put the small companies out of business. The response was that by allowing these small companies to undercut the prices at the port, they are putting people out of business at the port.

They just don't care!

Free enterprise is what made this counrty great, not bigger government.

They just don't care!

What businesses are we putting out of business?

The port put out a video late last year as a scare tactic on not to us off site parking. One of the off site companies hired an attorney and the video was pulled.

Not sure if it's allowed to post the link?

This is just simply hard to understand even more so after reading this. http://www.portcanaveral.com/general/news/releases/11012011.php

Didn't they just build additional parking?

What are they going to do when hotels quit using shuttles and charge the passengers for just parking which will result in a ton of taxi's swarming the port.

Goodness.... 22 pages! WOW someone has to justify their job..

Perhaps you've never seen the minutes from a public meeting. I recently plowed through a 126 page document to find the one sentence I needed from a public meeting in Boston.

Archived