Port Canaveral votes to stop issuing permits to park-and-rides

cespo

I suspect that the park and ride lots will end up figuring out an average load per van and then upping the fare by $50/ average load.

I suspect this to be sort of true. But I think there will be a flat fee. Sometimes there might be more than 10 at say $5 a head, thus a surplus of the $50 fee, other times there may be less, if on a schedule. It would not be fair to charge one van load $3 or $4 each, then the next load say $10 each. I think it will be a flat fee.

This infuriates me.... I just sailed out of PC in May and felt raped when I exited the parking garage. They really do charge for 8 days and my car was there for less than 7 24 hour periods. So I paid for the Saturday I left the garage, then the next person came in and paid again for that same space that day after I left. That is just wrong.

wow, you made me just realize something. I park at the airport and leave my car there and pay the parking charges. I will be paying for 8 days even though it is a 7 day period. I am also paying for a Saturday when I take my car and someone else pays for it when they drop theirs on the same day. It truly is a rip off.... but I will continue to do it because it is convenient... those parking lots really make out...

How about having Carnival move the ships from Port Canaveral back to Mobile. I am sure that Mobile would welcome back the additional tax base.

Tampa is less than 2 hours away from Orlando so it is a good option for people flying into Orlando or people that are combining a trip to Disney with a cruise.

You can write all the letters tht you want, they will not change the policy. However, if the cruiselines get involed that may be a different story.

Exactly. They will also probably wait longer and leave with fuller loads. It's probably going to work out to an extra $3 per person on average.

We just used Park-n-Cruise, and thought it was GREAT. With early reservations, it costs me $50.80 for the 7 day cruise, which was WAY less than half what it would have cost me to park at the port, and it's 5 minutes away. Service was excellent. The driver schlepped all the luggage into, and out of the big van, and when we walked out of the terminal upon our return, I saw the van entering the parking lot. I think there were, perhaps, 12 souls aboard the van, so add in the $100 total expense for Park-n-Cruise to enter the port twice, (once to drop you off, and once to pick you up) and it'll add at least $8 to $10 per person. Still beats hell out of what the port charges, but it's maddening that the politicians are trying their best to run those small business, out of business. :eek:

"SKY"

How about having Carnival move the ships from Port Canaveral back to Mobile. I am sure that Mobile would welcome back the additional tax base.

Tampa is less than 2 hours away from Orlando so it is a good option for people flying into Orlando or people that are combining a trip to Disney with a cruise.

You can write all the letters tht you want, they will not change the policy. However, if the cruiselines get involed that may be a different story.

The cruiselines have long term contracts with the port, they can't just pull out unless there's a force majeure type situation to invoke.

We just used Park-n-Cruise, and thought it was GREAT. With early reservations, it costs me $50.80 for the 7 day cruise, which was WAY less than half what it would have cost me to park at the port, and it's 5 minutes away. Service was excellent. The driver schlepped all the luggage into, and out of the big van, and when we walked out of the terminal upon our return, I saw the van entering the parking lot. I think there were, perhaps, 12 souls aboard the van, so add in the $100 total expense for Park-n-Cruise to enter the port twice, (once to drop you off, and once to pick you up) and it'll add at least $8 to $10 per person. Still beats hell out of what the port charges, but it's maddening that the politicians are trying their best to run those small business, out of business. :eek:

"SKY"

The port authority boneded billions in construction costs for the cruise terminals and facilities. They based their figures on revenue projections. Those projections need to be met, or they can't pay their bills. If they default on the bonds, it will be the little guy--you and me--that is hurt, because those bonds were purchased by the instritutional traders who run your 401K funds, your IRA funds, your money market funds, your life insurance, and even your regular checking account.

I suggest you take a basic economics class to learn about what is really happening with your money. I suspect it will be rather eye-opening.

The port authority boneded billions in construction costs for the cruise terminals and facilities. They based their figures on revenue projections. Those projections need to be met, or they can't pay their bills. If they default on the bonds, it will be the little guy--you and me--that is hurt, because those bonds were purchased by the instritutional traders who run your 401K funds, your IRA funds, your money market funds, your life insurance, and even your regular checking account.

I suggest you take a basic economics class to learn about what is really happening with your money. I suspect it will be rather eye-opening.

Why take an economics class when you can condense it for us?

I used to sell municipal bonds,,,,and trust me, I know how it all works. I'm just saying that there are better ways to pay off those bonds, than trying to tax those small business, out of business.

"SKY"

I used to sell municipal bonds,,,,and trust me, I know how it all works. I'm just saying that there are better ways to pay off those bonds, than trying to tax those small business, out of business.

"SKY"

Examples, please...

By the way, they won't go out of business if they market themselves properly. They could raise prices enough to cover the overhead and still charge less to park than the port does. And if they truly are more convenient and offer better service and a safer place to park, people will continue to use them even if the cost is the same.

An example. I don't park at MCO in the airport owned lots, I park off site. The place I park costs the same as long term parking at MCO. I choose to park there because they assist me with my bags and drop me right at my car, I accrue "frequent guest" points that can be redeemed for free nights, they hand me a cold bottle of water when I'm paying, and I feel that their lot is much more secure. It's the extras that make me a loyal customer. The off site parking places at the port could offer any number of perks to retain customers, even if they charge the same as the port.

I just booked our parking for our October 27 cruise. I refuse to pay the port price if there are other alternatives! Even if a "per person fee for each way" is added to the shuttle, I would park off-site at Port Canaveral. I believe in supporting small business.

Shirley

I just booked our parking for our October 27 cruise. I refuse to pay the port price if there are other alternatives! Even if a "per person fee for each way" is added to the shuttle, I would park off-site at Port Canaveral. I believe in supporting small business.

Shirley

And, you get dropped at the curb. (except Ecstasy)

If this works out for Port Canaveral. The all the other ports will soon follow.

Put money on it that Tampa will be right behind them.

Certainly a bit more challenging for Tampa, since there is a public city street separating the port parking facility from the entrance of the port building. Add to that the situation of Channelside Bay Plaza being a privately owned complex, and it's up for sale. Port Authority has minimal "authority". ;)

Certainly a bit more challenging for Tampa, since there is a public city street separating the port parking facility from the entrance of the port building. Add to that the situation of Channelside Bay Plaza being a privately owned complex, and it's up for sale. Port Authority has minimal "authority". ;)

We've got our own issues in Tampa...ships don't fit: LINK

PC is far more attractive to the CCL at the moment. Honestly, as lame as I think the parking situation is, I'd rather drive the 3 hours to PC than 5+ to MIA. So far I've only taken 3-5 day cruises out of PC, and that's probably going to stay that way.

I think it is outrageous for Pt Canaveral to do this!

I would suggest that the "park & ride" folks transport the driver only for free, suggesting that their customers drop off bags and guests first, then bring the car back and driver rides the shuttle. It's a little more inconvenient, but at least you don't have to schlep the luggage onto the shuttle.

I think it is outrageous for Pt Canaveral to do this!

I would suggest that the "park & ride" folks transport the driver only for free, suggesting that their customers drop off bags and guests first, then bring the car back and driver rides the shuttle. It's a little more inconvenient, but at least you don't have to schlep the luggage onto the shuttle.

I'd do that, get rid of the buses and partner with a taxi cab company so your driver gets a 'voucher' that covers their cab fare. The park-n-cruise places are definitely going to come up with some out-of-the-box methods around it.

How do they know that you are parking at the hotel? What about the people that fly in and take the shuttle that the hotel provides? Doesn't make any sense and don't see how it can be enforced.

How do they know that you are parking at the hotel? What about the people that fly in and take the shuttle that the hotel provides? Doesn't make any sense and don't see how it can be enforced.

Very few people fly in and take a shuttle to Cocoa, then take a shuttle to the port. Most people taking a shuttle from a hotel in Cocoa drove there.

Looking at this interperetation different than another poster. Some fly in and stay at the hotel a night after they've arranged their own transport. It may be bus, rental car, hotel shuttle. I think the question here is how will the port differentiate a customer who flew in (and not have a car to leave at the hotel) from the customer who intends to leave the vehicle for a few days, thus depriving the port fees. Yet, these variations arrive at the port via hotel shuttle together.;)

From what I am told it is all "shuttle" companies. They want $50.00 per shuttle per trip. So if the vans/bus is not fully loaded I can not see them going into the port.

The only taxi company that is allow to go into the port is AAA taxi. They have a "contract" with the town.

When ever we take a shuttle it is door to door.. then drop us off right next to our vehicle.

Cathy

So the port invested millions in parking and only 47% of the spaces are utilized. Why the **** did they spend millions to build the structure? Most public businesses would go broke with this business model. They seem to think "build it and they will come". If they don't come, just tax them.

So the port invested millions in parking and only 47% of the spaces are utilized. Why the **** did they spend millions to build the structure? Most public businesses would go broke with this business model. They seem to think "build it and they will come". If they don't come, just tax them.

Because they were contractually obligated to have a certain number of parking spaces in their contracts with the cruise lines.

I've been trying to make my plans for November. I'm solo on Leg 1 and have 3 others joining me on Leg 2.

We were going to do the 1-way car rental, stay in Cocoa Beach, drop the car off, get the Avis/Budget shuttle to the pier.

Now I'm wondering if they'll have to either up their 1-way rental charges or start charging for the shuttle.

If they do, I may have to totally rethink my plans.

I'd prefer to stay at the beach. But it may end being more economical to just stay in Orlando and take Carnival's shuttle. :(

I'm a planner and want to get this all arranged (so I can concentrate on DD's wedding plans), but I don't want to end up paying considerably more because of this.

If this causes people do decide to stay in Orlando rather than Cocoa Beach, I would think that could be a bit hit to the local economy.

Wonder if they've even considered that possibility.

I've been trying to make my plans for November. I'm solo on Leg 1 and have 3 others joining me on Leg 2.

We were going to do the 1-way car rental, stay in Cocoa Beach, drop the car off, get the Avis/Budget shuttle to the pier.

Now I'm wondering if they'll have to either up their 1-way rental charges or start charging for the shuttle.

If they do, I may have to totally rethink my plans.

I'd prefer to stay at the beach. But it may end being more economical to just stay in Orlando and take Carnival's shuttle. :(

I'm a planner and want to get this all arranged (so I can concentrate on DD's wedding plans), but I don't want to end up paying considerably more because of this.

If this causes people do decide to stay in Orlando rather than Cocoa Beach, I would think that could be a bit hit to the local economy.

Wonder if they've even considered that possibility.

I don't think they considered a whole lot. They did a fast vote with no brainstorming as to what to do and how they were going to do it. There's so many unanswered questions and loose ends they didn't think about. I think they think we are stupid and will accept their decision gracefully. I'm sure if we put our own thinking caps on, we'll find a way to skirt the extra charges and not park at the port. Some will be more determined than ever to not park there. It's especially upsetting for those of us who live very near the port in the first place.

Archived