"Advertising" to Share?

ljones

So - was looking through the different topics & saw this one. There is a "Reminder" not to post for a "Share" or "Roommate" as that breaks the rule of "Advertising." Don't see the connection between someone looking for a travel partner to share the cost as 'Advertising'. Since almost 9,500 people read this posted restriction, it seems I am not the only one who wondered about it. I suspect there are many people who would like not to pay full fare on all cruises all the time.

What am I missing?

So - was looking through the different topics & saw this one. There is a "Reminder" not to post for a "Share" or "Roommate" as that breaks the rule of "Advertising." Don't see the connection between someone looking for a travel partner to share the cost as 'Advertising'. Since almost 9,500 people read this posted restriction, it seems I am not the only one who wondered about it. I suspect there are many people who would like not to pay full fare on all cruises all the time.

What am I missing?

Hi,:) I don't know if there is a connection but....I can tell you that

when you have a "policy question" about the rules and guidelines

you need to email CC....don't shoot the messenger...just relaying

how you will get an answer.

What am I missing?

Perhaps it's advertising because you're offering them a cheaper voyage in exchange for sharing the space?

What am I missing?

It seems to me the owners of this board can set whatever policies they want. If they don't want people trolling for roommates (I'm assuming to avoid any related liability), then so be it. It really doesn't matter what they call it or what their rationale might be. :-)

I think it has to do with no being a conduit for someone , uhm... err.. acting inappropriately in the seeking and abusing of another.. there also may indeed be a liability issue ... they may have faced legal action in the past because of a connection someone made in the past...

I think the bottom line is, yeah it would be nice to be able to have the kind of resource you are talking about, but the reality of the world we live in makes it such that this service does not wish to take on the liability...

I am not curious as to the meaning of their ban - just the restriction of it. There is another web-site that has a Seeking Cruise Compainion section & they were clear about deleting people who want an "Exchange" rather than a "Share the Costs" - which has essentially eliminated those attempts. There is also an on-going place to report back on how the share went - the majority are positive - if nothing else, on the savings involved.

For discussion, I don't see the difference between people offering via this web-site to Share Excursions (cost saving) vs those seeking a Cruise Buddy (cost saving) - those allowed Private arrangements (Excursions) are solely through individual contacts & not Arranged or Endorsed by Cruisecritic...

We can all guess why they have various rules and guidelines. Asking them directly(The Host that posted the sticky listed his email address within the post) may or may not get a reply but its worth a shot.

In the end as mentioned ...their board, their rules.

My guesses would be

1) Liability...while that other site(which is much much much smaller than CC) does allow people to solicit for roomates, they are exposing themselves to potential lawsuits if something goes wrong with the match. CC may not want to even slightly open themselves up to that PR and/or financial hit

2) It would be pretty easy for someone that specializes in single cruise groups to pose as a solo person looking roomies as a way to promote their group without paying CC for advertising. Since this is the largest cruise related forum, it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

You're right about this being (by far) the largest cruise related forum which is why I think it is unfortunate that searching for others wanting to Share Cruise costs are not allowed but searching for others to Share Excursion costs are.

From what I can gather from the other forum, all the negative or questionable activities have not occurred & people are simply trying to find someone interested in the same cruise destination at a significantly reduced cost for both parties; nothing more.

I wish CC would resurrect he 'Starfish' thread. Revolving around strangers who shared a room.... went on for pages. Explains the starfish in my sig and many others.... Just throw the thread back, locked, for others to enjoy. Please CC.

The complaint I've seen from those sharing a cabin w/ 'strangers': SNORING!

In years past, I shared cabins w/ 3 'strangers', 2 I met face-to-face for the first time in the cabin. Had a wonderful cruise each time (2 I cruised w/ more than once - & stayed in contact w/ all 3 for several years).

I was more interested in a conversation on where / how people who love to travel, are single & don't always have friends who can or want to travel to the same place or have the same abilities find other travelers & why the largest site for cruisers wouldn't have a place for those people to connect.

But to the question that Cruisecritic could be liable when 2 Individuals privately contact each other & make a private contract... Was Craigslist actually held liable for the psycho killer who met women through their Erotic Services site? It was not - and that was a site rather asking for trouble, I'd think.

If 2 people connect through a Want Ad in a newspaper to sell / purchase a vehicle & it turns out to be the 2 pyscho killers from CA - would the newspaper be liable? It was not.

Craigslist, the newspaper, a bar, etc would not be held liable for 2 people meeting & entering a private contract to which they were not a party & did not assist in the arrangement /contract - unless what they did was itself illegal (which brought up questions about Craigslist - but the ads were not actually illegal).

Interesting responses tho.

It's about exposure. CC probably doesn't want to even expose themselves to a lawsuit. Win or lose lawsuits are costly and a PR nightmare.

There just isn't really an upside on the part of CC. Yes, it might benefit some cruisers, in the end it doesn't help CC.

I was more interested in a conversation on where / how people who love to travel, are single & don't always have friends who can or want to travel to the same place or have the same abilities find other travelers

Ahhhh......if that's your question, my answer would be that I don't look to make travel plans with strangers and instead I travel alone if I don't have friends who want to join me on the trip. I do not want to connect with a stranger in order to share costs on a voyage, and I see no advantage to hoping I'll share interests and ideas with a stranger enough to enjoy traveling with that person.

I've been to Hawaii, Spain, Portugal, and several places in the western US traveling solo, and had a good time in all.

"I see no advantage to hoping I'll share interests and ideas with a stranger enough to enjoy traveling with that person."

I never could have afforded my very first cruise w/out finding a 'buddy' - it was a locally sponsored cruise so I met with her beforehand. We both enjoyed the cruise & spent the majority of our time together in the ports, shows, etc. I totally enjoyed it & thus began my love of cruises. She was significantly older & we had little in common outside the cruise - but that changed nothing about the cruise itself.

The next 2 were people I met for the first time in the cabin! However, I did not pick a name out of a hat - we 'conversed' via email & again did the excursions we both agreed on & did seperate excursions as desired. Did additional cruises w/ both but ultimately they were not interested in the length of cruises I was (often 28 - 30+ days).

Just from observation, I have seen much worse attitudes towards one another among "friends & family".

Just from observation, I have seen much worse attitudes towards one another among "friends & family".

Without a doubt, you need to choose a travel partner wisely - I have also had difficulty when traveling with friends.....Still, since travel problems crop up even with people you know well and think you know what to expect, I shudder to think what could happen with a stranger I know little about.

I'd rather travel alone than travel with a stranger, even if that means not being able to afford the same trip.

I should add it's like my decision cruise less frequently but sail in a window rather than indoor cabin - I put my money where my priorities are, and don't spend it on something I think I won't like just to be included.

Indeed, everyone should do what suits them - and I also put my money where my priorites are. China, Japan & S Korea 2014 (2013 was already booked - a year in advance). Thinking I might add Thailand & Vietnam...but may have to find a cruise buddy for that portion.

Archived