snorkeling in Honolulu

geejay

There are many threads about snorkeling on Maui. But there are two possible sites for going ashore. But we don't know where you are going ashore - Lahaina or Kahalui?

There are also threads on snorkeling in the Kona area. Are you stopping at Kona?

Any suggestions for snorkeling

tours, or beaches that are easy to get to?

As the last poster said, on the island of Oahu where Honolulu is, Hanauma bay is the popular tourist spot for snorkeling. I have been there and it was crowded in June. I was actually disappointed...or maybe I wasn't brave enough to venture out fare enough to see the underworld treasures of the bay. I found excellent snorkeling in Kauai at Hanale bay and along the Napali coast and in Maui there was great snorkeling right off the beach from the Marriott resort we stayed at.

There is a small fee to enter the Haunama bay park and it is closed on Tuesday's. Here is some helpful infromation about that location:

This is a Marine Life Conservation Area: no pets allowed; no alcoholic beverages; no fishing or feeding the fish; do not remove, harass, or harm any marine life

-Call 808-396-4229 for recorded message with all current fees, times, conditions

-Currently OPEN from 6am - 6pm (winter - October thru March) and 6am - 7pm (summer - April thru September)

-Currently OPEN every Saturday from 6am - 10pm throughout the year

-Currently CLOSED every Tuesday

-$3 per car parking fee - large, paved parking lot - arrive early as the lot fills quickly and lines may be long

-$7.50 per person admission fee for 13 year old or older; Free for children under 13 years and for Hawaii residents and military stationed in Hawaii with proper ID

-Visitors are required to watch an educational film about the bay, the marine life and the preserve prior to going down to the beach.

-Paved walkway from entrance down to beach

-Optional shuttle bus available to bring visitors up and down the hill to the beach. - currently fee is $1 per person each way. Handicap accessible.

-Do not stand or walk on the coral reef - this is a live reef. Do not feed the fish. Avoid walking on the rocky ledges on the sides of the bay where waves are breaking - lava is porous and it crumbles easily. Caution must be taken during seasonal high surf.

-Lifeguards

-Reef and sand beach area

-Picnic facilities with tables, grassy areas and shade located near the parking lot

-Concession stand located near the entrance

-Restrooms located at the top and bottom area

-Showers

-Phones

-Snorkel, mask and fin rental available on the beach but frequently sell out

-Locker rental available on the beach

-Educational information center and theater located near the entrance

-Gift shop

-Wheelchair Accessible via shuttle bus or trolley

Cautions:

-Watch out for the Portuguese Man-of-war (stinging blue jellyfish). From June to September there may be stinging limu (seaweed) along the beach front. Obey posting and warnings.

-No surfing or Body Boarding is allowed.

Did I break a rule by posting that text? I think I should have just posted the link. So if the info on Hanauma bay gets deleted, you can use this link to go to it directly. Going back to make sure I understand the policy. I tried to change the post but it was too late to make a correction... My bad...

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/hanauma-bay-nature-preserve.html

We are in port on Tuesday, so Hananuma Bay is not an option.

Has anyone booked one of the independent snorkel tours? I have looked at several online but can't decide so am hoping someone has been one one that they would recommmend. :)

Any suggestions for snorkeling

tours, or beaches that are easy to get to?

Oahu isn't the gem of Hawaii snorkeling that the other islands are. The most consistant area is Hanauma bay. There are buses which do transport there, and it's an easy drive- BUT you do have to plan on an early arrival, as the limited parking lot- just about always fills up, every day it's open.

I go here to Hanauma bay to fill emply time on my trips. At my first opportunity, I'm snorkeling on Hawaii along the Kona side. :)

Archived