Any experience with TEMSCO Helicopter ?

cujochurch

We are going on Disney Wonder Aug 13th. We tried to book the helicopter/dog sledding camp tour but it was sold out. Since this is all my DH wants to do we are looking at private companies. Does anyone have any experience with TEMSCO Helicopter?

Sorry this is in Skagway.

FWIW I believe that all the cruiselines contract into the same helicopter companies that also offer a limited number of "private" indepdendent tours.

For example in Skagway they offered helicopter tours thru the line we sailed on as well as you could call TEMSCO directly. In Juneau there are several other vendors which are contracted thru cruiseline and than offer private as well.

We went private thru TEMSCO in Skagway. The only downside of private/independent is that I think they have some limitations on transportation while if you book thru the ship they do the whole thing gangway to gangway deal.

After all that, we did use TEMSCO on Skagway for dogsledding, did it idependent to save a few dollars on the already crazy pricing :eek:. Had no complaints... it turned out to be a wonderful day and everyone including my DW who gagged when she saw the price for 5 on the CC was smiles afterwards.

As to hurried comment from the other poster, its on a tight schedule as they bring the next round of folks up on the helicopter you fly back on. Thus, like clockwork new tour up, the last tour got to go, as the helicopter than flies back, drops you off and than picks up the next tour. Any delay because people want more time with the dogs, more shots on the ice.. well back them up. Not the most desirable but a necessary evil for how this whole operation works. I doubt that the other operators in Juneau are more leisure.

If you want to, and can afford book it, but as you do research you should know already that this can be often canceled so even with prebook and pay if weather isn't cooperating you'll need to make other arrangements, they do refund of course.

Good luck

We are going on Disney Wonder Aug 13th. We tried to book the helicopter/dog sledding camp tour but it was sold out. Since this is all my DH wants to do we are looking at private companies. Does anyone have any experience with TEMSCO Helicopter?

Sorry this is in Skagway.

1447731021_552Waitingforheli.jpg.bae5f9c25b1a7a2b3d6df51c7d6b9b7b.jpg

1156198671_600Glacierviewfromtheair.jpg.cd21bfaff118e194f0019d3d0b2cef2c.jpg

2015173586_605DogCamp1stoftheday830am.jpg.bd6f593a1b13805b595d408091fdf619.jpg

1229758602_675DogSledding.jpg.69992f67ca5f9c12e316a37ed4222d49.jpg

37878793_680Meetingthepups.jpg.3a6ae3179c607f0ff0d7ab4ac0439f4c.jpg

Look also at Coastal Helicopters in Juneau....I think you might be pleased with them....They have an excellent reputation...and the tours are superb.....all of the mushers are very well qualified mushers...they have all done major races...and some of them have won major races....and the dogs are excellent..

We booked a helicopter/walk on glacier tour with Temsco independently through Shore Excursions because I had a discount code through Travelocity. We had a great time- by far my family of 4's favorite excursion. The only downside, like mentioned before is that you have to walk over to the helipad, they do not pick you up at the dock (about a 15 minute walk). We never felt hurried and the pilots and the guides at the glacier were very informative and interesting, and we got some terrific pics :)

We booked a helicopter/walk on glacier tour with Temsco independently through Shore Excursions because I had a discount code through Travelocity. We had a great time- by far my family of 4's favorite excursion. The only downside, like mentioned before is that you have to walk over to the helipad, they do not pick you up at the dock (about a 15 minute walk). We never felt hurried and the pilots and the guides at the glacier were very informative and interesting, and we got some terrific pics :)

We have this booked to do in a couple weeks. I don't mind the walk. We need to do something to exercise off some of the food! Another reason why we take the stairs on a ship and avoid the elevators. :p

TEMSCO is the ONLY vendor in Skagway. Their tours get consistant raves. I have flown with them out of both Skagway and Juneau.

It is well recommended to have back up plans as this is the most canceled of Alaska tours. Know what else is available, have phone numbers. Be prepared to make a quick decision, if a regular glacier landing happens to be offered.

Certainly, these tours are heavily ship contracted and tightly scheduled. Expect this, it's all about revenue. They are businesses, not charities.

Coastal and TEMSCO are the two major players in the cruise areas of SE Alaska. We had a great time with Coastal, but they only fly out of Juneau. If you have your heart set on flying out of Skagway, then TEMSCO is the way to go.

Coastal and TEMSCO are the two major players in the cruise areas of SE Alaska. We had a great time with Coastal, but they only fly out of Juneau. If you have your heart set on flying out of Skagway, then TEMSCO is the way to go.

ERA is also a big successful business in Alaska. :)

We did a glacier heli tour with TEMSCO out of Juneau last year. Wonderful. I would think they'd do the same great job out of Skagway.

Archived