Monarch and Freedom Cruisers: Port Canaveral To Stop Issuing Park-n-Ride Permits

DarthGrady

I sailed on the Monarch last month and used Cocoa Beach Shuttle from MCO to the port. Cocoa Beach Shuttle had already started charging a little more due to the $15 fee they now have to pay each time they enter the port. It looks like they are not going to differentiate between the shuttle services.

Wow, that's interesting. It looks to me that even people who are not parking cars anywhere in the vicinity are going to help in the filling the port authority's parking coffers when the $50 charge goes into affect. The next thing that will come down the pike is they sting my neighbor who's giving us a ride when they drop us off at the port as well:eek:!

Wonder if it will be the same when we cruise in Sept?? Maybe I should switch ships and go out of Tampa??

Anyone know if Tampa charges like PC does?? a 3 night cruise is $15x4 at PC.......does Tampa do the same?Its been awhile since I parked at the Tampa port..

If you do wind up leaving out of Tampa, there is a little place called Capital Parking right by the port. My wife and I used it when we cruised on Jewel a few months ago and had a good experience. They're nothing fancy (just a little grass field), but much cheaper than the pier and it has a free shuttle. We were going to try Premier, but we heard some bad reviews about them.

If you do wind up leaving out of Tampa, there is a little place called Capital Parking right by the port. My wife and I used it when we cruised on Jewel a few months ago and had a good experience. They're nothing fancy (just a little grass field), but much cheaper than the pier and it has a free shuttle. We were going to try Premier, but we heard some bad reviews about them.

Thanks again!:)

People in this thread have already tried that and have a response from the commision. See post 17 in this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1656585

Thanks for the link, I just sent Mr. Deardoff an email:

Dear Mr. Deardoff, I read your recent response to another concerned user of Port Canaveral. I am truly touched by your concern for the citizens of Cocoa Beach and the surrounding area. That the port authority would go so far as to attempt to drive legitimate companies out of business to assuage the towns people is heartwarming to me. It is a real shame the elected officials of the community are unable or unwilling to deal with this problem within their community and it has been left of to the kind people on your board to resolve the issue.

The part I don’t understand is why I’m being charged an extra day for parking? I don’t see how that will help drive these dastardly transportation and parking companies out of business. As for protecting the tax payers of Florida I would think a return of .91 cents on the dollar is a pretty decent return and no one is hurting under the current system.

Regards,

temple1

Myrtle Beach, SC

I guess maybe the parking changes are meant to help fund this fiasco:

Port Canaveral began construction on a $21m Welcome Center, a seven-story building that will feature an observation deck, exhibits, event space, auditorium, gift shop and café.

The iconic structure is expected to be a magnet for visitors and convey the maritime history of Port Canaveral, while also reflecting the stories of the region’s military battles, space exploration and beach culture.

The 22,000-square-foot facility is designed by GWWO Architects of Baltimore. Skanska of Orlando is general contractor, working with Ivey’s Construction of Rockledge.

A public viewing platform will allow visitors to monitor progress of the project, set for completion by July 2013.

I guess maybe the parking changes are meant to help fund this fiasco:

Port Canaveral began construction on a $21m Welcome Center, a seven-story building that will feature an observation deck, exhibits, event space, auditorium, gift shop and café.

The iconic structure is expected to be a magnet for visitors and convey the maritime history of Port Canaveral, while also reflecting the stories of the region’s military battles, space exploration and beach culture.

The 22,000-square-foot facility is designed by GWWO Architects of Baltimore. Skanska of Orlando is general contractor, working with Ivey’s Construction of Rockledge.

A public viewing platform will allow visitors to monitor progress of the project, set for completion by July 2013.

This might sound bad, but I could not care less about this "Welcome Center". I have two things that I do at Port Canaveral - EMBARK and DISEMBARK. Neither activity requires a stop to a "Welcome Center" as I have a mission - GET ON or OFF the Ship.....

And now....if they are doing this to help funding this via "taxing" the transportation services, I am definitely not going go and see the Center, as it will have a very negative taste to me....

Lady_G

This might sound bad, but I could not care less about this "Welcome Center". I have two things that I do at Port Canaveral - EMBARK and DISEMBARK. Neither activity requires a stop to a "Welcome Center" as I have a mission - GET ON or OFF the Ship.....

And now....if they are doing this to help funding this via "taxing" the transportation services, I am definitely not going go and see the Center, as it will have a very negative taste to me....

Lady_G

Agreed. I don't spend much time wandering around the port. I am on a mission to get on the ship as quickly as possible and, upon our return, to get off the ship and out of the port as quickly as possible.

I think we're forgetting something interesting here......is it just me...or did the bottom go out of the NASA shuttle tourism for this town just recently?

Yeah, that makes sense. Gotta get that extra income from somewhere else now, hugh Port Canaveral board?:cool:

Lady_G

The welcome center is being added as a feature for the ships that use Port Canaveral as a port call. Many ships coming from the Northeast use Port Canaveral as a stop before hitting the Bahamas.

Whether you park in one of our terminal lots or parking garages, the rate* for the following cruises are: 3-day, $60; 4-day, $75; 5-day, $90, and 7-day, $120 for vehicles up to 20 feet in length. For vehicles longer than 20 feet, the rates are $104, $130, $156 and $208 respectively.

Preferred Parking is offered at Cruise Terminal 8 and is located right next to the terminal, the rate is $20.00 more than the standard parking rates, regardless of cruise length

This subject has been beaten to death on the Carnival board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1656572

The point being made here is that most of what is being said has already been said. If you want to contribute to the thread, go over and do it there so we aren't reading the same things twice.

What has happened here is called "crossposting" which is generally considered to be poor netiquette.

Truth be told, I think this is also being discussed in the depareture port forum, which is the proper place for it, since it isn't cruise line specific.

Whether you park in one of our terminal lots or parking garages, the rate* for the following cruises are: 3-day, $60; 4-day, $75; 5-day, $90, and 7-day, $120 for vehicles up to 20 feet in length. For vehicles longer than 20 feet, the rates are $104, $130, $156 and $208 respectively.

Preferred Parking is offered at Cruise Terminal 8 and is located right next to the terminal, the rate is $20.00 more than the standard parking rates, regardless of cruise length

Bleh. I hate that extra day charge. Because the passenger embarking on the day that I'm disembarking has to pay for the same day. Insane. It should be "per night".

This subject has been beaten to death on the Carnival board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1656572

Tim

In Tim's defense I think he was pointing out that there was already an 8 page discussion of this and he gave the link so everyone could check out what had already been discussed/posted. I'm pretty sure he gave the link since many on this board don't go on the CCL board. No where did he assume that everyone also reads the carnival board. Don't see the point of attacking him...

In Tim's defense I think he was pointing out that there was already an 8 page discussion of this and he gave the link so everyone could check out what had already been discussed/posted. I'm pretty sure he gave the link since many on this board don't go on the CCL board. No where did he assume that everyone also reads the carnival board. Don't see the point of attacking him...

Thanks Lisa!

I think my post would have been better had I added that I was adding the link for informational purposes. So many people come on here and are being a smart a$$ by posting a link and saying here it is, quit reposting.

This is what makes this site great, INFORMATION!!!

Now, if we could just fix some of those attitudes. ;)

Tim

I saw the thread on the Florida departure board last week. Needless to say, I went out there this week and booked our hotel ASAP, that also has a cruise & stay package. I wanted to get locked in to the current rate, just in case and more than likely, will go up....up....and awaaaayyyy......:D:)

The city has just rescinded the $50 per ride to the port fee imposed recently on off-site parking facilities. The commissioners (maybe county not city) had imposed this fee recently and the hue and cry has caused them to pull back, subject to future research. Whew!

The city has just rescinded the $50 per ride to the port fee imposed recently on off-site parking facilities. The commissioners (maybe county not city) had imposed this fee recently and the hue and cry has caused them to pull back, subject to future research. Whew!

GREAT NEWS for all!:D

Great news - now -- which is the safest/best place to park off site?

We used the Raddison park and ride in April and were very pleased with the service. We will use them again this September. The only improvement they could make is better signage when you get off the ship. Took me a few minutes to find them in all the crowd.

Archived