Monarch and Freedom Cruisers: Port Canaveral To Stop Issuing Park-n-Ride Permits

DarthGrady

This is horrible. Glad I booked our hotel for our September cruise early last week. I hope the vendors win their suit.

OP, thanks for bringing this over. Since my primary interest is RCCL and Celebrity, I never visit the CCL boards, so I would have missed this.

Good posting Darth! :)

Ever since the port starting charging for that extra day (pay for 8 days on a 7 night cruise/5 for a 4 night...etc.) and started up that slamming fake video they released on

park n ride facilities, I have stopped driving to the port and parking there.

One lucky thing about living close to this port, we can have a taxi pull up to our house, and within 15 minutes we are dropping off our luggge and walking into the terminal. :D

Cheaper, easier and my Jeep stays snuggly nice in the garage during the cruise! ;)

AAA Taxi picks up some extra business!

At least 2 of my upcoming 5 cruises I can do that!

Thanks Grady for posting this..........I dont frequent the Carnival or NCL boards,so I would not had seen any threads.

We use to stay at the BW in Cocoa beach.....they offered free parking at the hotel............they took that away,when the shuttles were being charged ......now that it is upped even more,we are getting less options......

Is almost cheaper to rent a car and have them drop us off..........not sure they will even do that for free anymore...

So anyway Grady......about that car pooling.....:p:p:p

I'm going to hazard a guess that the Port parking competitors will raise their prices and still have prices that are competitive with the Port Authority's. Many want port expansion yet seem not to want to pay for it. As a taxpayer in Brevard County I for one do not want to fund expansion without the users paying their share.

Why would you want to encourage the reasonably priced outside vendors to implement rate increases to our visitors? Most of those outside vendors recognize that cruise folks visiting our County spend money while they are here which is beneficial to our County's overall economy. Those outside vendors could have been greedy from the beginning and charged higher prices just like the Port Authority but chose not to - so visitors have reasonably priced options. The Port has been VERY profitable for many years and has not levied a tax on residents of our County in decades so you can stop worrying about yourself funding upgrades. Users are an integral part of having cruise ships and these users ARE already paying their share. The parking businesses already pay local property taxes, state, and federal taxes. Because I live very close to the Port, I don't ever use park and ride at Port Canaveral but know if I did, I would not want to be gouged by the Port Authority. The Port should stop whining and honestly compete with local businesses or should get out of the parking business all together. In fact, the Port is a governmental entity (public) and should not be trying to gouge the public and put local businesses out of business.

Good posting Darth! :)

Ever since the port starting charging for that extra day (pay for 8 days on a 7 night cruise/5 for a 4 night...etc.) and started up that slamming fake video they released on

park n ride facilities, I have stopped driving to the port and parking there.

One lucky thing about living close to this port, we can have a taxi pull up to our house, and within 15 minutes we are dropping off our luggge and walking into the terminal. :D

Cheaper, easier and my Jeep stays snuggly nice in the garage during the cruise! ;)

AAA Taxi picks up some extra business!

At least 2 of my upcoming 5 cruises I can do that!

You are indeed lucky that you live 15 minutes from the port. Most of us need to fly or drive a substantial distance to port and the parking is a real concern.

Thanks for noting your suggestion to the cruise/parking issue but I really don’t see how that is a viable option for most of the posters.

M

I have not yet embarked at Port Canaveral. how far is it from the terminal to the port gate? Walkable? is there a fee for a private car to enter the port to pick up passengers?

I wonder if the port authority cranks up the commercial entry fee enough, will people send one person to the gate to meet the shuttle then return with their private car to pick up the rest of the party and luggage? Or will several people "carpool" one member per party for a short taxi ride to parking facility, then each return for their party and luggage in private vehicles. if they do, won't this decrease the taxi's average fare after waiting in the taxi line? Won't this increase port traffic and therefore increase port staffing need as well as pollution? I truly hope it backfires on the port authority...

Because I live very close to the Port, I don't ever use park and ride at Port Canaveral but know if I did, I would not want to be gouged by the Port Authority. The Port should stop whining and honestly compete with local businesses or should get out of the parking business all together. In fact, the Port is a governmental entity (public) and should not be trying to gouge the public and put local businesses out of business.

As I stated initally I was hazarding a guess not trying to sway how the parking businesses should respond. Regarding the rest of your response, as Brevard County residents we vote for the Port Authority Commisioners. If you disagree with what they have done then you have a chance to correct that come election time. I am aware of the financial status of the port and I am glad that it is a profit center for the county - and the only one! I made my remarks because I would not like to see that change. With the considerable expansion going on now and the hopes of many for additional expansion my desire is for it to continue but be paid for by the freight/cargo carriers and the cruise passengers (me included) using the port facilities.

When the cost of parking at the pier, gets almost as much as one persons 4 day cruise(on many cruises), something is wrong. I understand that the port needs money to do upgrades, etc. but not bleeding cruisers, they/we bring a lot of money into the Brevard area, which is in need of some cash flow. I do not know how many the extra fees will effect or just that they will not cruise from PC or just not cruise at all and just do a Disney or Universal vacation. I live just two hours from PC and love the user-friendly/connivence of the port, but I will look to potentially better options like Tampa and Ft lauderdale, only a 2.5 extra hours drive.

Maybe I did not take the time to read everything, but, does this ruling apply to only the offsite cruise parking? But not to Disney/Travel agencies buses.

Hi Ian:

I do intend to exercise my vote in November or sooner in a primary. I try to always take advantage of that opportunity! :D No offense to you, but I feel the Port should work harder to make all of it's many revenue sources pay, not indirectly gouge visitors by trying to cut competition. Unfortunately, this certainly won't be the first time someone accuses them of trying to create a monopoly. No doubt the Port's cruise facilities are good for tourism and the County's economy but Port Canaveral is certainly not the only breadwinner in our community.

If the port gets their way and they shut down the competition. Does anyone believe that the pier parking would not go up substancially?

I just talked to one of the vendors. And they are fighting this in court.

The fee for their buses was $15 each time they enter, now they are taking it to $50.

There was an incident where a vendor used a news reporters car (corvette) for private use. It was all over the news, and gave the port officials ammunition. But this was one vendor the others they tried it with parked their car and it was never even moved. They didn't report that.

The port is trying to paint all the vendors with the same brush.

Well the last port commisioner is in jail for taking bribes.

Does this mean they all take bribes?

I come in the day before a cruise and use the hotel's free shuttle to the port. I guess the hotels will raise their package prices or start charging for the shuttle.

Same here. We have used the Park and Cruise package at several different hotels near cruise ports, including the Country Inn and Suites at Port Canaveral.

Maybe the port wouldn't see such an "erosion" in their parking revenues if they weren't charging such ridiculous fees to park.

But, of course, they don't want to look at it that way. They would just rather inconvenience everyone who chooses to park elsewhere.

I certainly hope this does not spread to other ports, but I fear it will.

Thanks Grady for posting this..........I dont frequent the Carnival or NCL boards,so I would not had seen any threads.

We use to stay at the BW in Cocoa beach.....they offered free parking at the hotel............they took that away,when the shuttles were being charged ......now that it is upped even more,we are getting less options......

Is almost cheaper to rent a car and have them drop us off..........not sure they will even do that for free anymore...

So anyway Grady......about that car pooling.....:p:p:p

Car pooling might be a necessity for all of us at this rate. Maybe these exorbitant parking fees are the ports way of making us all go green. :D:D

We've had great luck with the Radisson's park and ride on our last three cruises out of PC. It's about 7 bucks a day, or maybe I should say it was. I just hope this doesn't cause them to jack their rates up a lot. They have several big shuttles which run every few minutes, very convenient.

You are indeed lucky that you live 15 minutes from the port. Most of us need to fly or drive a substantial distance to port and the parking is a real concern.

Thanks for noting your suggestion to the cruise/parking issue but I really don’t see how that is a viable option for most of the posters.

M

If you go back and re-read my post, I stated that I am able to do this for only 2 of the 5 cruises I have booked. I just stated how lucky I feel to be so close to at least ONE of the ports I use for cruising out of, to be able to just take a taxi there. For many previous years, up until they changed things last year, I used to drive the 8 miles and park there for the whole week. But no longer. It's a shame the port authority is shooting themselves in the foot.

Don't worry...Tampa gets money from me for parking, and the airlines get money from me for flying to Vancouver, San Juan...etc. ;)

Maybe I did not take the time to read everything, but, does this ruling apply to only the offsite cruise parking? But not to Disney/Travel agencies buses.

I too would like to know if they differentiate between offsite parking vans and Disney, Mears etc. buses/vans from MCO or other places in Orlando. Does Disney pay the same $15 to drop a bunch of passengers off at the ship?

I too would like to know if they differentiate between offsite parking vans and Disney, Mears etc. buses/vans from MCO or other places in Orlando. Does Disney pay the same $15 to drop a bunch of passengers off at the ship?

I sailed on the Monarch last month and used Cocoa Beach Shuttle from MCO to the port. Cocoa Beach Shuttle had already started charging a little more due to the $15 fee they now have to pay each time they enter the port. It looks like they are not going to differentiate between the shuttle services.

Car pooling might be a necessity for all of us at this rate. Maybe these exorbitant parking fees are the ports way of making us all go green. :D:D

We've had great luck with the Radisson's park and ride on our last three cruises out of PC. It's about 7 bucks a day, or maybe I should say it was. I just hope this doesn't cause them to jack their rates up a lot. They have several big shuttles which run every few minutes, very convenient.

Wonder if it will be the same when we cruise in Sept?? Maybe I should switch ships and go out of Tampa??

Anyone know if Tampa charges like PC does?? a 3 night cruise is $15x4 at PC.......does Tampa do the same?Its been awhile since I parked at the Tampa port..

If the port gets their way and they shut down the competition. Does anyone believe that the pier parking would not go up substancially?

I just talked to one of the vendors. And they are fighting this in court.

The fee for their buses was $15 each time they enter, now they are taking it to $50.

There was an incident where a vendor used a news reporters car (corvette) for private use. It was all over the news, and gave the port officials ammunition. But this was one vendor the others they tried it with parked their car and it was never even moved. They didn't report that.

The port is trying to paint all the vendors with the same brush.

Well the last port commisioner is in jail for taking bribes.

Does this mean they all take bribes?

No they just want a raise - a 6 figure salary doesn't go far these days.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Too late to cancel for us. So where does this leave us? Our DD and family are driving in and will need a parking place. Fortunately, we are being driven over from Tampa by a friend we are staying with pre cruise...do they charge the taxis that large a fee, surely not! How could there be any taxi company who could afford this? We'll just park their car elsewhere and pay for a taxi into the port area.

Just emailed bdeardoff@portcanaveral.com the following - I encourage the rest of you to email as well. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. ;)

Dear Mr. Deardoff - I am writing to express my extreme dissatisfaction in the Boards recent decision to raise assess fee's from $15. to $50. to enter Port Canaveral by the Hotel shuttles and secondary lots.

Would you like to know exactly how to have your lots at FULL capacity most of the time? Simple -

1.) Do not double dip! It makes us very mad so we turn to other choices.

2.) Charge a fair rate. If you charged $10. a night your lot would be at FULL capacity most of the time. People will pay a little more to have the convenience of being at the port. They WILL NOT pay twice the going rate and be double dipped.

The solution is so simple. Think about it. Do the right thing and change this ridiculous ruling.

Elizabeth ******

Archived