Monarch and Freedom Cruisers: Port Canaveral To Stop Issuing Park-n-Ride Permits

DarthGrady

I found this on the CCL Boards, but it applies over here as well. I think it's just a disgusting money grab. Pure greed. They charge insanely high prices to park cars at the pier, now they want to lessen our access to lower price alternatives. Shame on you PC! I really hope the other ports don't follow suit. :mad:

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20120620/NEWS01/120620022/Port-Canaveral-votes-stop-issuing-permits-park-rides?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CLocal%20News&nclick_check=1

PORT CANAVERAL — The Canaveral Port Authority board voted today to stop issuing new permits to operators of park-and-ride services to the port.

Commissioners see this as a way to help stop the erosion of port parking revenue, which is a major source of profit for Port Canaveral.

In addition, commissioners approved a new $50-per-trip fee on current providers of such park-and-ride operations, including local hotels and owners of parking lots.

The vote was 3-2, with Vice Chairman Tom Weinberg and Secretary-Treasurer Jerry Allender voting no. They felt they should have had more time to consider the options, which they first received during the meeting.

The commission stopped short of its parking consultant's recommendation to revoke all permits for current parking providers

This subject has been beaten to death on the Carnival board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1656572

Tim

If it has been "beaten to death" on the Carnival boards....which I rarely vist only because I haven't sailed with them in years.....I appreciate the OP taking the time to post it here.

It's new's to me....and yes we do cruise out of PC freqently. We had just started using the off site parking with great success. Of course that will now go up in price.

What about all of us who have to fly to FL with increasing airfares and other fees? We also have rather expensive transport to Port Canaveral from MCO and back.

You can almost have 2 cruises for the cost of one for many of us because these costs.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/port-canaveral-triples-fees-site-parking-lots/nPb3N/

The parking lot vendors are fighting back...Some are suing the port...

We are talking about business's closing down, and a much needed service will be in jeopardy. There is enough demand to be shared by more than Port Canaveral.

Do note that the port is a state agency, and not a private company..

What about hotel shuttles with a cruise PKG that includes parking??

Ahoy Sue....

The hotel shuttles get charged each time they enter the terminal to drop off or pick up cruisers...

The cost was $15 each time, but now the Port has voted to raise that cost to $50 per entrance.

It used to be that once you were off the ship, you could call the hotel, and that shuttle was there in no time.

Now, the shuttle does not come into the terminal until they know that there is a group waiting to be returned to the hotel.

It's causing backup at the ports, as the shuttle buses can't stay to long in the port waiting for the passengers...

I suspect that the hotel rates will be going up to accommodate this fee..

We are cruising Monday out of Port Canaveral, and we are utilizing the cruise package with shuttle services from the local hotel.

Future cruisers need to book their hotels now before the hotel rate goes up.

Dorothy

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/port-canaveral-triples-fees-site-parking-lots/nPb3N/

The parking lot vendors are fighting back...Some are suing the port...

We are talking about business's closing down, and a much needed service will be in jeopardy. There is enough demand to be shared by more than Port Canaveral.

Do note that the port is a state agency, and not a private company..

I wish the local companies all the best with their lawsuits. I can't stand anti-competitive tactics like this. The port could increase the number of cars parking there if they charged reasonable rates. I would much rather park at the pier. But when I can pay a fraction of the price elsewhere and ride in, its a no-brainer.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the Port parking competitors will raise their prices and still have prices that are competitive with the Port Authority's. Many want port expansion yet seem not to want to pay for it. As a taxpayer in Brevard County I for one do not want to fund expansion without the users paying their share.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20120620/NEWS01/120620022/Port-Canaveral-votes-stop-issuing-permits-park-rides?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CLocal%20News&nclick_check=1

PORT CANAVERAL — The Canaveral Port Authority board voted today to stop issuing new permits to operators of park-and-ride services to the port.

Commissioners see this as a way to help stop the erosion of port parking revenue, which is a major source of profit for Port Canaveral.

In addition, commissioners approved a new $50-per-trip fee on current providers of such park-and-ride operations, including local hotels and owners of parking lots.

The vote was 3-2, with Vice Chairman Tom Weinberg and Secretary-Treasurer Jerry Allender voting no. They felt they should have had more time to consider the options, which they first received during the meeting.

The commission stopped short of its parking consultant's recommendation to revoke all permits for current parking providers

Pure Greed. For someone who does both (uses Park and Go Services & Parks at the Port), this makes DH & me even more likely to NOT to sail out of PC, anymore, and make the extra drive to FLL or to MIA.

Thanks to the OP to bringing it to our attention!

What about all of us who have to fly to FL with increasing airfares and other fees? We also have rather expensive transport to Port Canaveral from MCO and back.

You can almost have 2 cruises for the cost of one for many of us because these costs.

Think you better look at this, how do you get to the port? I also have to fly in and it sound like the services I use to get me there are going to be charged a much higher fee which will be transferred to you.

I found this on the CCL Boards, but it applies over here as well. I think it's just a disgusting money grab. Pure greed. They charge insanely high prices to park cars at the pier, now they want to lessen our access to lower price alternatives. Shame on you PC! I really hope the other ports don't follow suit. :mad:

We coveredk this in another thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1657062

Not everyone here frequents the CCL boards. I just reposted as an FYI.

I sincerely apologize to both OP and the others I seem to have offended by posting that this had been beaten to death on the Carnival boards. I meant no harm or was being a smarty pants about this, just posting the information for all of you to see.

Again, sorry.

Tim

I sincerely apologize to both OP and the others I seem to have offended by posting that this had been beaten to death on the Carnival boards. I meant no harm or was being a smarty pants about this, just posting the information for all of you to see.

Again, sorry.

Tim

No Problem. :)

Archived