Isopropyl (Rubbing) Alcohol

nybumpkin

Since we last cruised, DH was diagnosed with borderline type 2 diabetes. It's not surprising - his grandmother had it, his dad had it - and at this stage he's just trying to keep his blood sugar level under control - and not doing too bad so far.:) He's testing his blood sugar level twice a day and has a kit, but he uses rubbing alcohol to sterilize. Has anyone had a problem bringing such a sterilizer on board? Thanks so much!

Since we last cruised, DH was diagnosed with borderline type 2 diabetes. It's not surprising - his grandmother had it, his dad had it - and at this stage he's just trying to keep his blood sugar level under control - and not doing too bad so far.:) He's testing his blood sugar level twice a day and has a kit, but he uses rubbing alcohol to sterilize. Has anyone had a problem bringing such a sterilizer on board? Thanks so much!

The individually wrapped pre-moistened alcohol wipes are also handy for travelling.

May I ask why he uses rubbing alcohol over alcohol preps?

They're totally no muss no fuss and cheap to buy at Walgreens!

You're going to need a sharps container for your lancets. You guys should definitely be using one at home, too! It's against the law and dangerous to just toss them in the trash, it's improper disposal of medical waste.

If you don't have one at home, visit your local fire station and get one. They may require photo ID, but they'll also take the full ones and give you a new one. Maybe ask for an extra, smaller one for traveling in case they don't have it in your room or there is trouble getting it?

We carry a bottle of rubbing alcohol due to getting water in our ears. We have not had a problem with bringing it onboard. We put it in our carry-on luggage. But I would, as the others suggested, get the prep pads ...so much more convenient for your hubby.

Thanks, folks! I think I will look into the wipes. Sounds a lot easier for traveling. Given his current medical level (which isn't really that bad), he may or may not test during the cruise - this is all fairly recent, and he's getting an idea of what works and doesn't work in the way of diet. We have a pretty good idea - if it's rice, pasta, bread - fugettaboutit.;)

I know everyone has answered this, but yes the alcohol preps are way easier and the all you need for a sharps container is a call to guest access and it will be in the room when you get there. My daughter is TPN dependent and we recently cruised, guest access made everything a lot simpler. Please don't try to go a week without testing blood sugar, you can end up is a serious situation quickly. :)

sugar is the worst thing you can eat, eat sugarfree deserts and he will still be able to eat pasta and things like that. just have to try and see what runs it up.
That's what we've been working at. We're not dessert people too much, so it's not really a problem. He'd rather splurge on pasta than have Carnival's low-sugar desserts.:rolleyes:

As a type 2 myself i only use the alcohol swabs i get them at wal-mart QTY 100 FOR $1.00 they work great .. i don't use a sharps container i use an empty vitaman bottle with a flip top and tape it shut write Bio hazard on it put my test strip and lancets in it and toss it in the trash .. carb's are not our freinds .. i so miss my pasta and bread .. whole grains when you have to . its possible to keep your sugar level good on a cruise .. here is what i did breakfest the ham and cheese omlette mellon and coffee luch i would have a burger well burgers no bun lettuce onions hate tomatoes or the the salad bar lots of choices there too dinner i would try to order from the spa menue but the portions are small .. the fun ship special well there is no way around them that was my spurlge .and just do some cardio excersize everyday and things will go fine Just my two cents

You can just go onto your Carnival cruise account and go Edit your online check-in to request the container to put the test strips and lancets in. I'm Type 2 diabetic as well as my mother and son who'll both be traveling with me next week on our cruise. I just requested it for each of us when I did our online check-in.

Lots of people travel with Diabetes, they are fully aware and ready to help you...wipes will probably be easier as others suggested, and the room steward will bring you a sharps container.

You can call special needs to make sure you have fridge for his insulin or whatever else you need

They have splenda, equal, sweet and low and also "sugar free' desserts

at both the buffet and on the dining room menu.

Have fun !

Thanks, folks! I think I will look into the wipes. Sounds a lot easier for traveling. Given his current medical level (which isn't really that bad), he may or may not test during the cruise - this is all fairly recent, and he's getting an idea of what works and doesn't work in the way of diet. We have a pretty good idea - if it's rice, pasta, bread - fugettaboutit.;)

And potato of course! These Carbs are worse than sugar for T2s, including me! But we are all different so test 2 hours after eating and you'll soon figure out which (if any) you can tolerate better than others.

As for the alcohol as disinfectant, to be honest I don't bother. It's a tiny pinprick and the lancet is a sealed unit anyway so no exposed sharp. Different story with syringes of course.

And potato of course! These Carbs are worse than sugar for T2s, including me! But we are all different so test 2 hours after eating and you'll soon figure out which (if any) you can tolerate better than others.

As for the alcohol as disinfectant, to be honest I don't bother. It's a tiny pinprick and the lancet is a sealed unit anyway so no exposed sharp. Different story with syringes of course.

Using alcohol to sterilize/disinfect is a myth due to the extreme time it takes to work as it should. The general public doesn't beieve this. So, it's just a make you feel better thing. Just wash the hands before testing

Using alcohol to sterilize/disinfect is a myth due to the extreme time it takes to work as it should. The general public doesn't beieve this. So, it's just a make you feel better thing. Just wash the hands before testing

I totally agree with both of these. During my diabetic classes, they told us that moderation was the key. We could eat anything but it had to be in moderation. Counting carbs was the key to successfully keeping your counts low. They even said if we wanted a piece of birthday cake, have it but cut back on something else. Then test two hours later to see how what effect it had on us. They also said that just washing with plain soap and water before testing was more that sufficient.

(I am Mrs. SeaUs). I am a certified diabetes educator- you can leave the alcohol at home. It used to be recommended that a person with diabetes use alcohol to cleanse the finger, but no longer. Soap and water is sufficient (and even the soap needs to be rinsed off well). If the finger is pricked before the finger is dried the alcohol can mix with the blood and render a false result. (Hospital personnel are taught this and usually follow a protocol of wiping away the first blood after alcohol is used).

So leave the rubbing alcohol at home. No problem, Mon !

The alcohol preps are around $!.00 for 100 @ Wallyworld. That is what I take.

The sugarfree deserts are fantastic! I don't eat the bread, and the pasta portions are not large enough to hurt anyone. ;)

Have a great cruise! :cool:

Archived