Pizza tour in Naples?

Joanmccul

Nothing for nothing but you don't need a class to learn how to make pizza. I make it myself all the time. The dough is flour, yeast, salt, waterm and olive oil. Add a little sugar if you want a Chicago style sweeter dough--but that's not authentic to Italy.

What you put on top of it is entirely up to your taste. Make your own sauce either using fresh tomatoes or canned. Add whatever seasonings you like. I found that the Italians use a lot less herb and spice than we do on their pie, and I'm pretty sure most of the pie I ate started with fresh tomatoes or maybe POMI brand, the acidity was very low and the preservatives they use in canned tomatoe products is very acidic. Top lightly with mozzarella cheese and add some sliced proscioutto or thinly sliced Roma tomatoes. Bake on a pre-heated stone for about 12 minutes.

The more you make, the better you'll be at it.

Nothing for nothing but you don't need a class to learn how to make pizza.

With all due respect, I don't believe the OP was looking for a pizza recipe or written pizza making instructions. There's pizza...and then there's PIZZA! If real Neapolitan pizza were so easy to make, everyone would be doing it.

I wish I had an answer for the OP as I feel a pizza making class in Naples would be a lot of fun as well as educational. I would be interested in learning the answer also.

Lew

We are gonna get "flamed" for this but we think the pizza and Naples thing is just a lot of hooey (can't think of a better word). We were recently in Naples (been to that part of Italy more then a dozen times on both ships and our own driving vacations) and decided to spend the day in Naples (nor our norm). Of course we had to have Pizza for lunch (at least that is what everyone says) and decided to simply look around for a very popular pizza place (we tend to favor restaurants that are popular with locals). At lunch time we were up in the higher part of town (accessed by funicular from the lower part of the city) and spotted a tiny pizza place that was packed with Italians (I think we were the only tourists). We sat right next to the guy who made the pizzas (like most pizza places anywhere...this is done in view of the customers) and watched him making lots of pizzas. And guess what? He did exactly the same thing pizza makers do at most pizza shops all over the world. He worked the dough by hand...added the toppings and finally put it in the large wood-fired oven. And yes, the pizza was delicious just like pizza we have had all over the world (including right down the street from home). Of more interest was the local draught beer which was quite good. Sure, there is a lot of history about pizza in Naples...but these days its just one more city with tons of pizza places just like nearly any city in the world.

Hank

We are gonna get "flamed" for this but we think the pizza and Naples thing is just a lot of hooey (can't think of a better word).

You won't get a flame from me Hank...

I would, however, point out that the manner in which a pizza is assembled doesn't contribute much to its taste. Unless, of course, the person putting the pizza together doesn't know what he's doing.

IMHO the creation of the sauce and the dough as well as the quality of the toppings has more of an effect on the final product. In and around Naples, the use of caputo flour, San Marzano tomatoes, handmade mozzarella and the local water contribute to the special taste of pizza. The fact that you're in Naples doesn't hurt either.

Do other cities around the world have great pizza restaurants...absolutely! But they have their own taste which may or may not come close to Neapolitan pizza. I've had fantastic to just barely edible pizza in my travels, but nowhere is it as consistently good as in Naples.

Lew

Lew,

DW would argue that the best Pizza in the world is found in New York City. New Yorkers would give some credit to NYC water (this is also the argument used as to why NYC has the best bagels). Of course our Chicago friends insist that they have the best pizza :) But one thing is certain! Holland America has the worst pizza in the world!

Hank

I would, however, point out that the manner in which a pizza is assembled doesn't contribute much to its taste. Unless, of course, the person putting the pizza together doesn't know what he's doing.

IMHO the creation of the sauce and the dough as well as the quality of the toppings has more of an effect on the final product. In and around Naples, the use of caputo flour, San Marzano tomatoes, handmade mozzarella and the local water contribute to the special taste of pizza. The fact that you're in Naples doesn't hurt either.

Do other cities around the world have great pizza restaurants...absolutely! But they have their own taste which may or may not come close to Neapolitan pizza. I've had fantastic to just barely edible pizza in my travels, but nowhere is it as consistently good as in Naples.

Lew

Exactly Lew. Microclimates have an incredible impact on yeast--one of the reasons that sour dough bread in San Francisco tastes different than sour dough bread in Marin County, even though there is a scant mile or two between them.

Lew,

DW would argue that the best Pizza in the world is found in New York City. New Yorkers would give some credit to NYC water (this is also the argument used as to why NYC has the best bagels). Of course our Chicago friends insist that they have the best pizza :) But one thing is certain! Holland America has the worst pizza in the world!

Hank

Boy, would I agree....(w/the NY pizza and bagels...) Haven't had one in years and keep dreaming about it....HAS to be the water......Will be in Naples this coming week--will give a foodie report.....

Didn't mean to start a "fire" storm! Thanks for the info. I Was just trying to think of an easy outing in Naples. I know we will be having pizza so I thought it would be fun to combine it with a cooking class or demo. We will be doing an official tour of Naples,Pompeii, Sorrento, etc. later in the cruise.

We don't dock until 10 a.m and have a short time in port. Any other suggestions ?

Lew,

Hank

No, no no....Montreal has the best bagels (St. Viator and/or Fairmount Bagels)...also the best smoked meat (Schwartz's, aka (pre-language police) Montreal Hebrew Delicatessen)!!!:D:p:)

No, no no....Montreal has the best bagels (St. Viator and/or Fairmount Bagels)...also the best smoked meat (Schwartz's, aka (pre-language police) Montreal Hebrew Delicatessen)!!!:D:p:)

Not going there since some of our best friends are Canadians :). But it would be interesting to poll worldwide travelers on a comparison of Schwartz's vs. the Carnegie Deli, Katz's or the Stage Deli :)

Hank

But it would be interesting to poll worldwide travelers on a comparison of Schwartz's vs. the Carnegie Deli, Katz's or the Stage Deli

I've never been to the Carnegie Deli, but between the Stage Deli and Schwartz's, I'd have to give it to Schwartz's. Their smoked meat is unbeatable.

Schwartz's is less than two hours away. I may just have to head north someday soon.

Lew

We are displaced Brooklynites and loved the Napolitan pizza we had there. I cannot recall the name of the place but it was a spot frequented by locals. If I can find out the name...it's very close to the dock..I will write again. Another spot for pizza that we enjoyed was in Dubrovnik. But the Naples pizza was memorable!!

Not going there since some of our best friends are Canadians :). But it would be interesting to poll worldwide travelers on a comparison of Schwartz's vs. the Carnegie Deli, Katz's or the Stage Deli :)

Hank

All in fun--you're such a great contributor to these boards, Hank--but I couldn't resist yanking on that chain just a bit!;)

BTW--I love all those places, especially Katz's, for the 'show'!:) But--those NYC prices!:eek:

I've never been to the Carnegie Deli, but between the Stage Deli and Schwartz's, I'd have to give it to Schwartz's. Their smoked meat is unbeatable.

Schwartz's is less than two hours away. I may just have to head north someday soon.

Lew

Carnegie is over-rated. Pretty much a tourist trap these days. The sandwiches are obscenely large, enough for two or even three adults.

My favorite place for sandwiches is Soda Canyon Grocery. Most pass it by for it's more famous cousins a few miles west, but at SCG the sandwiches are better and half the price. (Pickles are a LOT better as well.)

All in fun--you're such a great contributor to these boards, Hank--but I couldn't resist yanking on that chain just a bit!;)

BTW--I love all those places, especially Katz's, for the 'show'!:) But--those NYC prices!:eek:

Cost? My goodness, if you wanna talk about cost I know where you can get a $20 cup of coffee in Venice (true). Even a pastrami sandwich at the Carnegie does not cost that much (but its close).

Hank

Didn't mean to start a "fire" storm! Thanks for the info. I Was just trying to think of an easy outing in Naples. I know we will be having pizza so I thought it would be fun to combine it with a cooking class or demo. We will be doing an official tour of Naples,Pompeii, Sorrento, etc. later in the cruise.

We don't dock until 10 a.m and have a short time in port. Any other suggestions ?

Taste is so subjective that people tend to defend their favorites. :)

Since you're going to tour the area seperately, I'd think the pizza making idea sound a lot of fun! I do agree with some other posters that what made the pizza in Naples so good was the local ingredients and possibly the specialty oven. If you are going to drop the pizza class idea, may I suggest the Naples Underground? http://www.napolisotterranea.org/where-we-are/?lang=en

Lew

Well said Lew! You sound like a true pizza connoisseur - my kind of person! :)

Taste is so subjective that people tend to defend their favorites. :)

Since you're going to tour the area seperately, I'd think the pizza making idea sound a lot of fun! I do agree with some other posters that what made the pizza in Naples so good was the local ingredients and possibly the specialty oven. If you are going to drop the pizza class idea, may I suggest the Naples Underground? http://www.napolisotterranea.org/where-we-are/?lang=en

Thanks for the suggestion! Their website mentions tight and dark places. Have you been on this tour? How tight and how long are you n the narrow passage?

Thanks for the suggestion! Their website mentions tight and dark places. Have you been on this tour? How tight and how long are you n the narrow passage?

The narrow passage isn't terribly long, but it's not for the claustrophobic. If you have a problem with tight spaces you can skip that portion of the tour, because the route comes back out to the same place. Each time I've done the tour at least one or two people choose to sit that part out. There's no electricity in that section so, in addition to squeezing through a tight space (most people have to turn sideways at several points in order to fit through) you have to carry a candle as well to light the way.

Archived