Best option from FCO to Civi with lots of luggage

CarleenD

Hi all!

I'm flying into FCO the night before the cruise and staying in a hotel in Civitavecchia. My question is what's the best way to get to the hotel if I have a lot of luggage and don't really feel comfortable with taking a train? From what I've read, a taxi will cost a fortune! Can I do a one-way car rental?

Thanks!

Carleen

If you're on your own and you have a lot of luggage then the train will not be easy, especially as to get to Civitavecchia you have to go into Rome, change trains and then go out to Civitavecchia. On the other hand, there is no direct route by any form of public transport. For all sorts of practical reasons, I think your idea of switching your hotel reservation to an airport hotel is a good one. Unless, of course, the cost of the airport hotel + cruise transfer is becomes more expensive than a car service!

Here's another thought: have you registered with your cruise's contact group here on Cruise Critic? You may well find that there are other passengers arriving that evening with whom you could share a car.

Hi all!

I'm flying into FCO the night before the cruise and staying in a hotel in Civitavecchia. My question is what's the best way to get to the hotel if I have a lot of luggage and don't really feel comfortable with taking a train? From what I've read, a taxi will cost a fortune! Can I do a one-way car rental?

Thanks!

Carleen

As someone who has done this quite a few times......my suggestion is to carry as little luggage as possible. This will make your trip so much easier, and you'll be able to manage the train, if necessary! Only take clothes you KNOW you will wear. On my last Med./Transatlantic I took one small piece of luggage and still had clothes I didn't wear. I plan to do better on my next cruise to, or in, Europe! :)

If you're on your own and you have a lot of luggage then the train will not be easy, especially as to get to Civitavecchia you have to go into Rome, change trains and then go out to Civitavecchia. On the other hand, there is no direct route by any form of public transport. For all sorts of practical reasons, I think your idea of switching your hotel reservation to an airport hotel is a good one. Unless, of course, the cost of the airport hotel + cruise transfer is becomes more expensive than a car service!

Here's another thought: have you registered with your cruise's contact group here on Cruise Critic? You may well find that there are other passengers arriving that evening with whom you could share a car.

Good idea Tom - will do! And thanks for your help.

As someone who has done this quite a few times......my suggestion is to carry as little luggage as possible. This will make your trip so much easier, and you'll be able to manage the train, if necessary! Only take clothes you KNOW you will wear. On my last Med./Transatlantic I took one small piece of luggage and still had clothes I didn't wear. I plan to do better on my next cruise to, or in, Europe! :)

Ordinarily I would try harder, but the cruise is for 10 days with 3 formal nights, and the weather will be all over the map (going in November). So I figure it's best to plan for the "worst". All my makeup and hair products alone could be one bag (only slight exaggeration).

You can get a shared ride to Civitavecchia (in minivan; may have to share with others) for around 90 euros for either 1 or 2 persons.

Ships' transfers these days seem to run around $80-90 per person, so if that is the case, I wouldn't think it is the cheaper option unless you are traveling solo.

If the transfer is included, then the hotel at FCO + transfer to port in the morning definitely makes more sense.

I've cruised in November before, 2 weeks with additional 3 days in Athens and then 4 days (on business) in Frankfurt. Talk about having to dress for various climates and events. Still managed to do it in one medium suitcase and 1 smallish carry-on bag.

I just called Norwegian and they said a transfer would be $75. Unless I could rideshare with several others, that's probably going to be my best bet. And apparently the Hilton is connected to the airport, so I'll hopefully be able to drag my luggage there! Really, my bags are always *just* under the weight limit, no matter how hard I try.

I agree, please don't tell me to pack lighter when I asked how to get there with lots of luggage !!!! I can't imagine taking one suitcase for a 10 day cruise and pre and post stays in November. We have done November cruises twice now out of Rome as we like that time of year. But you are not talking capris and shorts.......but pants, jeans, long sleeved shirts, sweaters/pullovers and regular shoes (not sandals) etc...... then add formal wear and well, the best I have done for dh and I is two large suitcases and one fairly good size garment bag. And carryons. I thought I was doing really good with that.

Now, to your question. The best option is to go to your roll call and join a ride to Civi. Believe me, it is not hard to just ask and will save you $$$. The hotel at the airport is ok but you will probably pay more for it than your savings on the ride. Not to mention that is where you are stuck and you must pay the higher meals costs too. Airports and airport hotels are bad in that respect. There are many boutique type hotels in Civi that can arrange a ride for you also if you can' t share..... at least that is the option I would look at second. It will be a much more enjoyable experience.

Just as I'd thought I made my decision, you come up with something even better! I'm joining the roll call now and will see how that shakes out. Thanks for stopping me from buying that non-refundable room!

And thanks for understanding my packing "issues". :-D

We fly into FCO on Oct 1 & sail Oct 3 for 36 days. I figure we will have enough luggage to rule out the trains. With the cost of taxi & car service both high, I decided to rent a car. For about US$138, we are getting an automatic with a one-way rental to Civitavecchia. The Hertz office in Civi is about 250 yards from our hote.

We fly into FCO on Oct 1 & sail Oct 3 for 36 days. I figure we will have enough luggage to rule out the trains. With the cost of taxi & car service both high, I decided to rent a car. For about US$138, we are getting an automatic with a one-way rental to Civitavecchia. The Hertz office in Civi is about 250 yards from our hote.

Ok, ok... I thought about a car too, but it seems the ship transfer will be more cost-effective for me. Thanks for letting me know the price though.

36 days! My goodness!

We booked Romecabs.com for a private sedan transfer, last October. Very professional. Costs about $200 including tip, for 2 people with 7 pieces of luggage. We were able to book in advance over the internet, paid in cash, euros on day of service. Worked out very well.

We plan to book the same arrangement for next April.

Recently checked the rate $130 euros one way.

Just as I'd thought I made my decision, you come up with something even better! I'm joining the roll call now and will see how that shakes out. Thanks for stopping me from buying that non-refundable room!

And thanks for understanding my packing "issues". :-D

Sorry to "mix it up" last minute. But truly you don't want to stay by the airport. Hope the roll call works out for you. Really the easiest nicest and cheapest option......

Can I come ????? Puhlease !!!!!!!!!!!!

I would think that the cruise bus is safer and more comfortable than a private van or taxi. They drive really crazy in Italy. Been there- done that!

I am doing a private driver on my upcoming trip to Italy but that's because I'm going to a really remote place that isn't serviced by a bus.

I would think that the cruise bus is safer and more comfortable than a private van or taxi. They drive really crazy in Italy. Been there- done that!

Well, weird things can happen during a cruise bus transfer. I remember an incident when we were on a transfer from FCO to Civ. The coach approached the Autostrada pay station, with tool booths and barriers. It had an electronic tag on it to give 'drive-through' functionality, so the driver slowed down and rolled forwards through the toll lane. The barrier rose as it should, but then, just as the coach was about to reach it, it shot back down again, right in front of the coach. Result: coach 1, barrier 0. No damage to the bus but the barrier was totalled.

This incident counted as a 'road accident' so the Polizia had to be called to take a statement from the driver. Unfortunately this took a long time, so the coach was sat parked at the toll plaza for 45 minutes or more. This turned out to be a real problem for some passengers who had decided that they didn't need to use the restrooms at FCO because they would be at Civ within an hour. Not so, it turned out, because od this delay. I'm afraid some of them had to ask for the coach door to be opened so they could go and find a suitable bush to go behind...

Sorry to "mix it up" last minute. But truly you don't want to stay by the airport. Hope the roll call works out for you. Really the easiest nicest and cheapest option......

Can I come ????? Puhlease !!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure. :)

Hi all!

Thanks!

Carleen

question 1....Are you traveling alone?

question 2...Why are you taking so much luggage?

question 1....Are you traveling alone?

question 2...Why are you taking so much luggage?

I think we pretty much established the answers to both those ????'s

Alone and she is traveling in November and doesn't want advice on how to pack :rolleyes:

I am not going to tell you what to pack, but we just returned from a 6 week trip to Europe with a 13 day cruise (3 formal nights) and DH and I eack took a 24" roller, and one carryon between us. I had a purse and he had a backpack with computer and camera. How, you ask? We tried the rolling technique and it was really great. I rolled all my pants and put them in grocery store plastic bags, squeezed to get the air out, and popped in the suitase. Same thing with tops. I took one 'formal' dress (nights 1 and 3), folded it tightly and put it in a 1 gallon ziplock bag, it took up next to no room. Dressy satin blouse and a few other delicates in another ziplock; had them pressed when I first got on the ship. And I actually did come home with a few things I never wore! If you are traveling by yourself, having managable luggage will make the trip much easier.

airportshuttle.it is a shared van service. It is 90 euro for two people, airport to crusie dock.

Don't know why NCL told you their transfer would be less if you weere willing to share. You are already sharing with 40 or 50 others on a bus. Unless they are quoting you a private sedan transfer. If so, ask them how much it is for the bus transfer. They should also offer a transfer from Rome city center to dock if you don't want to stay at a hotel at the airport.

I am not going to tell you what to pack, but we just returned from a 6 week trip to Europe with a 13 day cruise (3 formal nights) and DH and I eack took a 24" roller, and one carryon between us. I had a purse and he had a backpack with computer and camera. How, you ask? We tried the rolling technique and it was really great. I rolled all my pants and put them in grocery store plastic bags, squeezed to get the air out, and popped in the suitase. Same thing with tops. I took one 'formal' dress (nights 1 and 3), folded it tightly and put it in a 1 gallon ziplock bag, it took up next to no room. Dressy satin blouse and a few other delicates in another ziplock; had them pressed when I first got on the ship. And I actually did come home with a few things I never wore! If you are traveling by yourself, having managable luggage will make the trip much easier.

I couldn't agree more! It's just easier said than done for me. And I do roll.

airportshuttle.it is a shared van service. It is 90 euro for two people, airport to crusie dock.

Don't know why NCL told you their transfer would be less if you weere willing to share. You are already sharing with 40 or 50 others on a bus. Unless they are quoting you a private sedan transfer. If so, ask them how much it is for the bus transfer. They should also offer a transfer from Rome city center to dock if you don't want to stay at a hotel at the airport.

I'm sorry, I may have misspoken - the cruise line never told me sharing would be cheaper. I just thought it would be cheaper for me than sharing a van.

I'm sorry, I may have misspoken - the cruise line never told me sharing would be cheaper. I just thought it would be cheaper for me than sharing a van.

It's ok- I'm not sure what NCL's rates are, because I have not sailed with them. We are sailing out of Rome at the same time of year as you- but on Princess. Princess' bus transfer is $64 pp, so $128 for the 2 of us. The shared van quoted previously with airportshuttle.it is 90 euro total, or about $115. We decided to pay the extra $13 or so for the Princess transfer because we have enjoyed the service in the past and they handle the luggage at the dock. As far as private car transfers, I have seen some quotes on this website for around 130 - 150 euro for two people ($160 -$200)

It really comes down to your preference. All 3 options will get you there, with varying degrees of comfort and convenience.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived