Alaska shore excursions

Ians Grandma

My husband, 13 yr old daughter and I were on the Wonder last year for our 20th Anniversary. Our excursions were amazing but VERY pricey!! We had been saving for a long time for this trip so, the sky was the limit. Have to say....we all agreed that the helicopter ride up to a dogsled camp on top of a glacier was our favorite! (and...YEP...of course that was the most expensive!) We did this at the Skagway port. It was, truly, a "bucket list" type of event! We saw amazing scenery and met the most wonderful dog sled guide! She was so friendly and knowledgeable. We all got to "drive" the sled and had an absolute blast! Her husband was an Iditarod participant and the dogs we met had been a part of this race. We also got meet some priceless puppies!

The other trip that we enjoyed was horseback riding. Believe it or not, we booked this excursion at the Skagway port too! We were there for 12 hours so, we did the helicopter ride in the AM, went back on the boat for lunch, and then went to the Tongass National Forest for our trail ride and salmon bake! Just breathtaking scenery!! (GREAT guides too!!)

I believe it was in Ketchikan that we did a Floatplane ride to Misty Fjords. This was really cool too but the weather was rainy/windy so our ride was a wee bit bumpy!! Gotta say, we don't plan on doing this one again! The scenery was absolutely unparalleled. However, the adults on the plane were petrified!

We also did a fabulous whale watching tour in Juneau! Lots and lots of whales...everywhere we looked... Seals too! This really spoiled us. As a matter of fact, we enjoyed this so much that we booked a whale watching tour out of Halifax on our Disney Magic cruise from NY last week. Unfortunately...not 1 whale! sigh....

Anyway, hope this helped! No matter what you choose, be prepared for an AMAZING time. Our trip last year was probably one of the best vacations we've ever had! Enjoy!!!

Hi Ians grandmother. I'm cruising with my 15 year old grandson on the Sea Princess on July 22. He specifically wanted to go on the rainforest ropes Course and zipline park. We're also going dog sledding on the Mendenhall Glacier.

I'm petrified of heights and am considering not accompanying him on the zipline course. I'm looking for someone to give ME guidance about whether a 72 year old scaredy cat should attempt ziplining.

Hi Ians grandmother. I'm cruising with my 15 year old grandson on the Sea Princess on July 22. He specifically wanted to go on the rainforest ropes Course and zipline park. We're also going dog sledding on the Mendenhall Glacier.

I'm petrified of heights and am considering not accompanying him on the zipline course. I'm looking for someone to give ME guidance about whether a 72 year old scaredy cat should attempt ziplining.

I copied this to the Princess forum.

If you're not going to have fun doing it, save your money and your nerves and skip it.

However, If you need to go on the excursion to allow your grandson to try it, that's a different story. You might want to "take one for the team" to let your grandson have an exciting and memorable experience.

I am trying to decide on shore excursions for Alaska. I am looking for something a 14 year old boy might really enjoy. Does anyone have a favorite that they could recommend? Thank you.

If your son likes dogs then take him to a Musher's Camp. Some have downgraded this because you spend little time in the sled. This is the off season and the dogs are being bred and trained to get ready for the competition season. You will go to the camp where the dogs are raised and trained and you will talk to the trainers and ride in a sled on wheels through the mud pulled by dogs. Then you will see the equipment and hear the stories of the races. Finally you will hold and pet puppies.

My son absolutely loved this excursion, and he was 20 at the time, but he loves dogs. Very easy and inexpensive excursion.

Fishing, dog sledding, ziplining are all big adventures with big price tags, of course they might not fall into the interests of every 14 year old...

I know mine all ages loved the fishing, dog sledding, even the simple hike they enjoyed.

Suprisingly I've been offering ziplining to them all but they aren't interested even though they do blackdiamond skiing.. go figure.

I am trying to decide on shore excursions for Alaska. I am looking for something a 14 year old boy might really enjoy. Does anyone have a favorite that they could recommend? Thank you.

Archived