"Sim" cards...what are they?

I am not technically knowledgeable about this stuff...if you fill up this insertable card, can it be erased or down/up loaded and reused, or is it done? I really have no idea. Is it even called a "sim" card? Help!

Thanks!

A SIM (subscriber identity module) card is used in mobile phones and tablets that access mobile data networks to identify the phone to the carrier's network.

You may be confusing the SIM card with an SD (camera and some tablets) or micro-SD (mostly phones) memory card that is used to store images and data.

Memory cards can be filled, off-loaded and reused thousands of times over their normal rated life.

What type of device are you using? It will help to give a better answer if we can narrow down the question.

Dave

Ah...thanks! It's not a sim....must be a memory card. It's actually for a recorder device....looks similar to the cards I've seen for cameras and such. Hubby wanted to buy more cards (he's a musician, and recording his band!)...and I thought it could be downloaded/offloaded to a computer, and the card could be reused. I'm hoping that's the case! I think the card has 6 hours of recording time....see, I told you have I no idea about any of this stuff!!!!

Ah...thanks! It's not a sim....must be a memory card. It's actually for a recorder device....looks similar to the cards I've seen for cameras and such. Hubby wanted to buy more cards (he's a musician, and recording his band!)...and I thought it could be downloaded/offloaded to a computer, and the card could be reused. I'm hoping that's the case! I think the card has 6 hours of recording time....see, I told you have I no idea about any of this stuff!!!!

If the card is identified as capable of "6 hours of recording", That is usually for video and it will record much more audio only. All you need is software that will playback the audio and a reader to use for copying the audio files from the card to the computer. Both Windows and Mac handle most common formats with built-in software.

And...50,000 posts! :eek:

Dave

Sorry it was off-topic....I figured someone on the camera boards would know about this stuff!

Thanks!!!

No worries!

Audio recorders are sort of third cousins to cameras related through the SD card's mother....so not really all the way off-topic! ;)

Dave

Archived