New Years Cruising

abhb

What can you tell me about being on board for New Years? Do they do anything special? We are thinking about doing Explorer Dec 30. When will it get warm enough to use the balcony?

We've done a nye cruise the past two years and have both this year and next booked. Lots of parties, noisemakers, confetti and balloon drops, champagne, etc. Great time. Best cruise of the year for us. We always cruise out of Florida so it is usually ok up on deck. Out of NY probably not so much.

We did the New Years cruise on Explorer this past year. They throw a great party on the Promenade, with a live feed from Times Square shown on a large screen.

We only had two warm days the whole cruise. Port Canaveral, however it was New Year's Day and we didn't arrive until the afternoon, so many things were closed. And, the next day in Nassau. By warm I mean in the 70's, but the sea temperature was cool (most people said that it was too cool to swim). We missed CocoCay because of a storm in the arean making too unsafe to tender, so we spent a second day in Nassau - it was very windy and actually cooler in Nassau than it was back home in NY that day.

This doesn't mean that we had a bad cruise - just a more indoor one. Bring cards or board games, or books, etc. I'd still recommend it, and in fact, we are thinking of booking it again!

We were also on last NYE cruise on Explorer and booked again for this year. Have to agree weather wasn't the best - still enjoyed our balcony - was warm enough to be out there and we had breakfast out there on our days in Port Canaveral and Nassau. Party in promenade was fun - however, you need to get there early as it gets very crowded. We really enjoyed ourselves going into the trip we thought we would relax and enjoy and thats what we did. Didnt swim at all - so if your looking for beach weather this isn't the cruise for you out of Bayonne.

Did the Mariner cruise out of Galveston with a group of 8 family members this past New Years. Except for departure day, I spent time every day by the pool and it was nice. Departure day wasn't cold, just too hectic for lounger time.

We left on the 26th, and Christmas decor was still up around the ship.

NY Eve, was obviously formal night. Party favors and hats and champagne were readily available. The entire Promenade was packed with partiers, to the point where it could take almost 30 minutes to fight your way back to your room or to the bathroom and back. Crazy crowded, and good luck finding any seating in a pub or bar. Had a countdown and big balloon drop at midnight.

We are not big into elbow to elbow crowds, so we opted for the ice rink/Studio B venue for our family group. Able to get a good table on the second level bar area, overlooking the dance floor and bleacher seating. Also had countdown / balloon drop, but had a live band, dancing on the open floor, and was not the sardine can that the promenade was. Much better drink service, too with lesser crowds.

All in all, it was a mixed bag. There were things I liked more, and things I liked less. One thing, those cruises are in such high demand there are no deals to be found. Ours went for almost 3 times the cost of an early December cruise in the same cabin. Glad I went, but I'm now dieing to just go on any old non holiday cruise, just the wife and I and a lounge chair by the adult pool....

We did last nye on Monarch and was one of the best cruises ever!! Lots of people party dress....at dinner party hats and favors....music music music...pool deck had food and free champagne. Captain kept the ship just off the port of Nassau and we saw 3 different sections of fireworks.

• 1 month later...

^ They don't heat the pools, but no worries, your cruise will be mostly hot! (The cold cruise discussed above is Explorer out of NYC.) The only time you'll be cool on Freedom will be the first/last days near the US, and it won't really be that bad...my kids never cared! You can check historical ave temps for Port Canaveral for that first week of Jan. to get an idea. Once you get to the islands, it will be hot, sunny, beachy...and the chances of a winter storm in the islands are low. On our holiday cruises, the weather's been pretty stable, with only the occasional, tropical rain shower in the afternoon that you just play through as it sweeps in and then out.

^ They don't heat the pools, but no worries, your cruise will be mostly hot! (The cold cruise discussed above is Explorer out of NYC.) The only time you'll be cool on Freedom will be the first/last days near the US, and it won't really be that bad...my kids never cared! You can check historical ave temps for Port Canaveral for that first week of Jan. to get an idea. Once you get to the islands, it will be hot, sunny, beachy...and the chances of a winter storm in the islands are low. On our holiday cruises, the weather's been pretty stable, with only the occasional, tropical rain shower in the afternoon that you just play through as it sweeps in and then out.

:):)We did a New Years (Eastern) cruise out of Canaveral two years ago. Weather was a bit cool on departure day, but the weather in the islands was gorgeous. Water was a bit too cold for swimming in Coco Cay, but it was sunny in the high 70's so it was a perfect beach day.

On the morning we returned to PC, however, we awoke to a light dusting of snow on the balcony, and a temperature reading of 33F when we got to our car in the garage.:eek: Quite a shock, since the day before (sea day) had been in the 70's all day. But then, that month turned out to be the coldest January on record in Florida.

Did the Mariner cruise out of Galveston with a group of 8 family members this past New Years. Except for departure day, I spent time every day by the pool and it was nice. Departure day wasn't cold, just too hectic for lounger time.

We left on the 26th, and Christmas decor was still up around the ship.

NY Eve, was obviously formal night. Party favors and hats and champagne were readily available. The entire Promenade was packed with partiers, to the point where it could take almost 30 minutes to fight your way back to your room or to the bathroom and back. Crazy crowded, and good luck finding any seating in a pub or bar. Had a countdown and big balloon drop at midnight.

We are not big into elbow to elbow crowds, so we opted for the ice rink/Studio B venue for our family group. Able to get a good table on the second level bar area, overlooking the dance floor and bleacher seating. Also had countdown / balloon drop, but had a live band, dancing on the open floor, and was not the sardine can that the promenade was. Much better drink service, too with lesser crowds.

All in all, it was a mixed bag. There were things I liked more, and things I liked less. One thing, those cruises are in such high demand there are no deals to be found. Ours went for almost 3 times the cost of an early December cruise in the same cabin. Glad I went, but I'm now dieing to just go on any old non holiday cruise, just the wife and I and a lounge chair by the adult pool....

We were on the exact same cruise this past year and my thoughts were exactly the same as yours! It was like sardines in the Promenade and I wasn't sure why they didn't have the celebration on deck? We walked through about 11:30pm and lost my 9 year old in the crowd, even though I was desperately trying to hold her hand! :eek: She was pushed away from me by the pizza place and when I found her (minutes later) she was on a bar stool with a very nice woman trying to calm her down. The bartender gave her a milk and told us the best (and fastest) way out!

We opted to watch it on TV...it was way too crowded for us. We also were looking for the hats and noisemakers but they were all out (we had skipped dinner for a nap when they were handing them out!). Our kids really wanted them and some VERY nice staff members gave theirs up to our kids.

It was a great cruise but we wouldn't pay the significant increase in price again for that experience...glad we did it once! :)

We were on the exact same cruise this past year and my thoughts were exactly the same as yours! It was like sardines in the Promenade and I wasn't sure why they didn't have the celebration on deck? We walked through about 11:30pm and lost my 9 year old in the crowd, even though I was desperately trying to hold her hand! :eek: She was pushed away from me by the pizza place and when I found her (minutes later) she was on a bar stool with a very nice woman trying to calm her down. The bartender gave her a milk and told us the best (and fastest) way out!

We opted to watch it on TV...it was way too crowded for us. We also were looking for the hats and noisemakers but they were all out (we had skipped dinner for a nap when they were handing them out!). Our kids really wanted them and some VERY nice staff members gave theirs up to our kids.

It was a great cruise but we wouldn't pay the significant increase in price again for that experience...glad we did it once! :)

Our thoughts exactly. We just got off of FOS on Sunday, and the crowds in the promenade and other main public venues were intolerable (especially when there was a parade or some other activity going on (rock Britania was totally jammed from one end of the promenade to the other - if you wanted to get from the MDR to Pharoh's, you had to go up or down a deck in order to bypass that mess). We had FOS booked for this NYE, but after what we saw last week, we called C&A as soon as we got off the ship and switched to Jewel for NYE instead.

Our thoughts exactly. We just got off of FOS on Sunday, and the crowds in the promenade and other main public venues were intolerable (especially when there was a parade or some other activity going on (rock Britania was totally jammed from one end of the promenade to the other - if you wanted to get from the MDR to Pharoh's, you had to go up or down a deck in order to bypass that mess). We had FOS booked for this NYE, but after what we saw last week, we called C&A as soon as we got off the ship and switched to Jewel for NYE instead.

Quick Question - why would a particular ship ( in your case the Jewel) be "less crowded" than the Freedom on New Year's Eve . Surely the centrum areas will be packed! Thanks

M

Quick Question - why would a particular ship ( in your case the Jewel) be "less crowded" than the Freedom on New Year's Eve . Surely the centrum areas will be packed! Thanks

M

A few reasons:

First, there are less than half the number of passengers (~2100 vs ~4300);

Second, the atrium on Radiance class ships goes all the way up to the 11th floor, and there are 7-8 good "overlook" points on each floor, so people have a tendency to spread out. On Freedom, unless you're watching from a Promenade stateroom, you have no choice but to be part of the promenade crush;

Third, they serve champagne and hand out noisemakers/streamers on each of the floors, so you can be part of the party without being crushed.

Also, there is always a rather raucus party going on on the pool deck, which draws quite a few revelers away from the atrium area.

Archived