No more Mystery Dinner Theater

A few days ago I was reading a thread about the mystery dinner being canceled on some cruises. This was one of the things I was most looking forward to on FOS in Feb. I e-mailed RC about this and this is part of the reply I received. I was really looking forward to it but it is not to be.

Royal Caribbean International is phasing out the Mystery Dinner Theater on all our ships as part of our efforts to refresh and update onboard entertainment on an ongoing basis. After 10 great years of dinner theater, we felt it was time for a change and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause our guests. We are introducing new programming and other onboard features that will enhance the cruise experience.

The following are the last sailings that will feature dinner theater:

•Radiance of the Seas - Last Mystery Dinner sailing: June 15, 2012

•Explorer of the Seas - Last Mystery Dinner sailing: June 21, 2012

•Jewel of the Seas - Last Mystery Dinner sailing: July 14, 2012

•Brilliance of the Seas - Last Mystery Dinner sailing: July 15, 2012

•Navigator of the Seas - Last Mystery Dinner sailing: September 9, 2012

•Freedom of the Seas - Last Mystery Dinner sailing: October 7, 2012

•Serenade of the Seas - Last Mystery Dinner sailing: November 8, 2012

A few days ago I was reading a thread about the mystery dinner being canceled on some cruises. This was one of the things I was most looking forward to on FOS in Feb. I e-mailed RC about this and this is part of the reply I received. I was really looking forward to it but it is not to be.

Royal Caribbean International is phasing out the Mystery Dinner Theater on all our ships as part of our efforts to refresh and update onboard entertainment on an ongoing basis. After 10 great years of dinner theater, we felt it was time for a change and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause our guests. We are introducing new programming and other onboard features that will enhance the cruise experience.

I hate to hear this. I have never been to one on board ship but was looking forward to it the next opportunity that I would have.

The Oasis and Allure have never offered it and I was hoping they would in the future but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. Last year I sailed the Freedom and signed up for it but once on board got a notice that it was canceled due to a change in personnel that was not ready for prime time. We were very disappointed.

We did it twice and enjoyed it. It was a very good value. Yes, the acting was a little cheesy, but the more active the audience was in participating, the more the actors had a chance to improvise and have some fun. That seemed to energize the actors and the audience.

Eric

The wife and I did the mystery dinner theater on our last cruise on the Mariner and have to say it was just ok. Nothing that I would jump at going to again, i can understand that there were people who really enjoyed this but for us, i am looking forward to seeing what new entertainment ideas RCCL puts in place of the dinner theater. I agree with the article that RCCL needs to keep fresh ideas and activities in place for cruise travelers so that is not always the same thing over and over and over again.

We did it three times only because we enjoyed the meal and we had friends we met onboard that wanted us to do it with them. But after the first time you know the plot and the outcome so it really wasn't fun anymore.

But I have to agree that even when we saw it for the first time it was a little cheesy. We just made ourselves that the actors and actress were not professional so considering this they did a good job.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"Introducing new programming to replace".... Any chance RCCL shared what that new entertainment might be? We enjoyed the mystery dinner on several cruises.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I was just in my pre-cruise planner looking - again - at the specialty restaurant reservations to see if the times I'm looking for are still available. I've probably looked about 6 times in the last couple months since they reservations became available.

Today, for the first time, Mystery Theatre Dinner appeared. It shows available on the 11/27 (I said on 11/25) at 8:00pm. Although the picture and description still shows Portofino (I thought it was replaced by Giovanni's table with the dry dock earlier this year?). Also, I had read here somewhere in the last few months that Mariner no longer had it.

Has anyone heard of them bringing this option back on the ships? Or was I mistaken that it was "over" for Mariner long ago?

I hate to hear this. I have never been to one on board ship but was looking forward to it the next opportunity that I would have.

The Oasis and Allure have never offered it and I was hoping they would in the future but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. Last year I sailed the Freedom and signed up for it but once on board got a notice that it was canceled due to a change in personnel that was not ready for prime time. We were very disappointed.

My Father in law is sailing the Allure in Oct. and said his TA signed him up for the mystery dinner.. hummm

It seems like all the "New Refreshed" stuff is for families with small children and or pay per stuff. I don't mind the family stuff so much but now that my kids are pretty much grown it would be nice to see some grown up stuff on board. Not stuffy things that you have to pay a bunch extra for but they put in shrek and his friends and now they are putting in the Barbie experience . So what is left for the adults ?? They added all these pool side giant movie screens which drawls in the kids . I am not all about get the kids away but I would like them to remember that it is not the Dinsney line and that some of us have adult or older teen children and some don't have any kids . Just seem almost like they forget who is paying the bill at the end of the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

We're sailing on the Jewel next month to Canada and New England. One of my wife's co-workers took the cruise last year and really enjoyed the murder mystery dinner.

I was looking forward to it. So now, I have to find a murder mystery dinner in my local theater guide.

I agree. I liked the Shrek movies, but they aren't as good as Disney or Disney-Pixar. If I wanted to meet cartoon characters, I'd go to Disney World.

Further, the idea of the murder mystery dinner is to allow parents of young children to do something grown-up, while the kids are at Adventure Ocean.

We were planning to do the mystery dinner on the Jewel next month. But, my wife isn't willing to pay extra, just to eat in a different restaurant. We both like MDR food, and we usually get assigned to a table with interesting people.

It was hokey and goofy, but in a fun way. The meal was great with cocktails prior in the champagne lounge and all you can drink wine with dinner. Probably the best value on the ship.

I agree. We had done it twice and both time thoroughly enjoyed it. Looked like the crew members enjoyed it too.

Was on the phone with Crown and Anchor today and in passing I asked about seeing the murder mystery dinner listed on our Dec2012 Indy cruise. She put me on hold and came back on and confirmed they are no longer available on any ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was on the phone with Crown and Anchor today and in passing I asked about seeing the murder mystery dinner listed on our Dec2012 Indy cruise. She put me on hold and came back on and confirmed they are no longer available on any ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Certianly interesting information, as it appears some people are booking the event and likely getting their credit cards charged.

Archived