Skagway sights? When you've been there once before?

kccpa

HI all,

I'll be coming to Skagway in August and was lucky to visit Skagway on my 1st visit to Alaska in 2010. I did a tour at that time that saw many of the typical sights...many of the in town sights, our tour drove up through the Canadian border and we then jumped on the RR and enjoyed the scenary back down to town.

That said....what would seasoned Alaskan natives/homeowners or travelers suggest that would be a good next step on my journey to see more of your great country and more of Skagway? :):)

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Kathy

We took the ferry to Haines on our first cruise to Alaska. It was great. I had arranged for an independent kayaking excursion at Chilkoot Lake. It was just us with a guide. There were several cruise ship excursion groups at the lake the same day. We were able to go farther and see more since we did not have to wait for slow folks to catch up. Plus we had the undivided attention of our guide. To me, Haines is a great place to see since it is not as built up as the other ports we've been to (Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan). It's still a bit touristy--but not as bad.

This year, however, I'm planning on doing the walking tour in Skagway and going to the Jewell Gardens. There's a there here with links to maps.

If you have sufficient time I would also suggest the high speed ferry to Haines.

If you are interested in the history of the Klondike gold rush and have a car rental for the day consider driving to Dyea, which is eight or ten miles from Skagway. This was the other community which is now a ghost town. Stampeders who climbed the famous "golden stairs" were on the Chilkoot Trail which departed from Dyea. The National Park Service marked some of the remains of the old buildings in Dyea. There is also a nice NPS campground which would make a nice picnic area. The Chilkoot Trail is still in existence as a recreational trail, and it is very enjoyable (depending on one's fitness level) to walk out on it for an hour or so.

Hi all,

I guess I forgot to mention a very important part of the question. I'm in port from 7am to 8pm...so I should be able to fit something good in.

If anyone can recommend a tour operator for the Haines direction I would greatly appreciate it!!!

If anyone has another suggestion and tour suggeston, please TELL ME! :)

Many thanks!

Kathy

If you didn't do it the first time, be SURE to visit the Nat'l. Park Headquarters in the old train station (right by the huge train engine that's on display and right when the town "starts") to see the film about the gold seekers and horses on the Chilkoot Trail. They have a wonderful selection of books about the area and the history as well.....books you can't find just everywhere.

I'm renting a Green Jeep this time because we've driven cars north and we've done the train and I want to get to Dyea.

Since there's an area that's not paved on the way there, the last time I rented a car we were told we were NOT to take it to Dyea; I wonder if that's still the "rule.":confused:

It sounds like the last trip, you only did the the Klondike Highway to White Pass/Fraser and did not get into the Yukon?? The Lake Bennett train is excellent and so is driving to Emerald Lake. Several various touring options.

What are your interests? That is key. Why suggest Dyea if you really are not interested in such history? Why suggest hiking if you hate to hike? Why suggest canoeing in Haines if you don't like to canoe? You get the point.

Last time I DID do Dyea so got a LOT of the normal sight seeing in. Did get to the Yukon...did the train...got to his little cafe for lunch/snack...was luckily enough to acually get DAVE as our tour director!

Hey folks....I'm open to just about everything. Give me your top bucket list of sights and the tour operators.

Please keep in mind that I'm a single lady who is my herself...so that is why I'm looking for a tour and not trying to venture by myself.

So I'm hoping you all can come up with some really good ideas.

Back at ya 'all :D

Again....MANY THANKS for those who are trying to help!!!!!!!!!!

Oh...the canoeing might be a no for me...I had cancer and now I have lymphedemia so I can't do repetitive or hard repetitive exercise on my right arm. So maybe that would have to be out. That is the ONLY thing that I can't do or things along those lines. :)

Kathy

It sounds like the last trip, you only did the the Klondike Highway to White Pass/Fraser and did not get into the Yukon?? The Lake Bennett train is excellent and so is driving to Emerald Lake. Several various touring options.

We just got back. Rented a car and went to Emerald Lake at our own pace. The scenery was beautiful. Got awesome close-up photos of bears, mountain goats, eagles. It was the highlight of the cruise for me. Several of the bears were within 20 feet of the car, feeding on dandelions.

How about a helicopter ride to the glacier and then a short walk around there. Though this will only occupy about 2 hours of your time we found it amazing last week. If you can spring for it there is also the sled dogs on the glacier.... I should have checking in to the high speed ferry too... didn't do enough research I guess.. there is always next time. And for us there will be a next time for sure.

We have been to Skagway twice before and will be there again this July.

The first time we hiked lower Dewey Lake in the morning and then flew with Temsco to a dog mushing camp high on a glacier. It was a beautiful day and we thoroughly enjoyed both....the hike was free but the heli/dog mushing was about 1000.00 for two people.

The second time we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake where we did horseback riding with Joni. It was a beautiful drive and a lot of fun... http://www.yukonhorses.com/Public_Pages/Joni.aspx.

This time we're talking the railroad to Lake Bennett and kayaking around the lake...then the railroad back to Skagway.

Just in case you wanted other ideas.

We have been to Skagway twice before and will be there again this July.

The first time we hiked lower Dewey Lake in the morning and then flew with Temsco to a dog mushing camp high on a glacier. It was a beautiful day and we thoroughly enjoyed both....the hike was free but the heli/dog mushing was about 1000.00 for two people.

The second time we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake where we did horseback riding with Joni. It was a beautiful drive and a lot of fun... http://www.yukonhorses.com/Public_Pages/Joni.aspx.

This time we're talking the railroad to Lake Bennett and kayaking around the lake...then the railroad back to Skagway.

Just in case you wanted other ideas.

GREAT ideas!!! Would love to do the heli/dog thing but I'm already on two plane rides into the back areas. Not sure the budget can stretch for a third. But you certainly got my attention!!!

I really don't want to rent a car since it will just be me.

BUT....the RR to Lake Bennett...do they have other things to do there? I can't kayak because of my arm but if there are other things....even just scenic and possible wildlife....on the lookout for moose... :)....that would be fun.

Many thanks!

Kathy

Archived