Do you get a guilty feeling if you pull your kids out of school?

dad son team

Wow, great topic...constructive conversation.

Do any of you have any suggestions for the ports we will be visiting? We are going to Puerto Rico, Labadee, Nassau and St. Thomas. My main reason for this cruise was to see El Yunque with the kids. Have any of you done this tour? What did you all think? Any info or ideas would be appreciated.

I've done El Yunque (without the kids) and it was nice but not much wildlife....more about the rainforest. It's actually a very long hike downhill (to a nice waterfall) and then back uphill, so I would make sure the kids can handle it. The waterfall was nice and the guide had alot of cool information, so make sure you're near the guide with the kids.... Personally, when we went back with the kids, we chose to do the tours of the El Morro forts. Lots of history and rooms with displays to explore, cannons....they get to see the vantage point that ships would come in. Just lots of hands on history and it doesn't have the 1 hour bus ride that El Yunque has.

These are my other favorite activities we did with the kids:

Antigua: Eli's Eco tour........the best organized tour ever. The information Eli gave about the turtles was exceptional and he spoke to the kids in a way they could understand...even including references to the movie Finding Nemo.... The kids got to see a snake eating a huge lizard. They got to do some of the most amazing snorkelling ever. Eli talked about the movie 'pirates of the caribbean' and how innacurate the battle scenes approaching land were and went on to explain the 'real' scenarios.... He had the adults and kids mesmerized all day with his storytelling. The kids also loved the native juices and foods he served at lunch.

Barbados: Went to a huge pottery factory and then the highlight was visiting the Monkey Wildlife Reserve.. tons of interesting info on monkeys and other wildlife....turtles, lizards. The efforts to protect instinction. Lots of free-roaming monkeys. Gotta go mid-afternoon.

Belize: My favorite experience with my daughter was cave tubing. I will never forget that moment with her. The research we did in advance about how revered the caves were and their uses was great.

Belize: Hubby took son to Xunatunich ruins. He rented a jeep. They went over a ferry-pulley type bridge....really cool.

Tortola: Went to Virgin Gorda. Kids loved learning about how many of the islands were formed and where all the boulders came from.

Curacoa: My daughter loved the pontoon bridge. In school she had to make a replica of a bridge and that's the one she chose. She brought in the video showing how it opens up.

La Romana, Nassau, Cozumel, St. Thomas, St. Maarten: spent the day at the beach and shopping. (Sometimes I have to remind myself that we need a day just relaxing)

Roatan: This one was a huge eye opener for my kids. We live on a pretty tight budget....but, wow, the kids were able to see how many people live. We brought bags of small gifts to hand out to kids. If my kids start 'whining' about not having something, all it takes is for me to bring up what we saw in Honduras and they totally 'get it'.....to be content with what we have. My daughter also caught a mango that fell in our jeep as we were driving around.

St.Lucia...rented a boat for the day....Fred's My Leisure....obviously, the kids loved the volcano.....to see and smell it....to see how it warms the waters surrounding it....loved it. It was also neat for them to eat (or stare at) local foods at the plantation restaurant. Oh, and we loved feeling the black sand beach.

Grenada was also exceptional as we've been there before and after the hurricane. I couldn't believe the devestation and the kids again got to see how strong the winds can be, and how the earth bounces back. We were able to tour with some friends and heard all the stories of where they were that day and how they thought they would die' but they didn't ... and how they all help each other out.

Margarita Island...did a mangrove tour and toured a sugar cane....learned how sugar was made and how it tastes.

Grand Cayman: Stingray City...although the waters were too rough for the kids to enjoy it, they got to see the stingrays.

Gosh, going through this lists brings back so many fond memories and reminds me of why I love taking my kids and seeing things through their eyes....so worth the time, effort, and money. They also know that when we save for a trip they can't have anything else....they see the importance of saving and budgeting for these things.

It wasn't until I had children and started taking them on trips that I appreciated all the sacrifices my parents made for us. My dad was super stingy with his money....but one thing he and my mom spent money on was travel and family vacations....having a good stable family life has contributed more to our quality of life than having career driven parents and affluence.

[

I've done El Yunque (without the kids) and it was nice but not much wildlife....more about the rainforest. It's actually a very long hike downhill (to a nice waterfall) and then back uphill, so I would make sure the kids can handle it. The waterfall was nice and the guide had alot of cool information, so make sure you're near the guide with the kids.... Personally, when we went back with the kids, we chose to do the tours of the El Morro forts. Lots of history and rooms with displays to explore, cannons....they get to see the vantage point that ships would come in. Just lots of hands on history and it doesn't have the 1 hour bus ride that El Yunque has.

Thanks for the tips! I"m torn now on El Yunque as the forts sound terrific too. I do know that my kids will enjoy just knowing that they've been to the rain forest and have seen it. My boys will definitely be able to handle the hike but my brother will be joining us with his 4 and 1 year olds so I will definitely warn him of the bus ride and physical nature of the trip. Seems like it would be best for them to opt out. We are only in Puerto Rico for a 1/2 so it sounds like this trip will take up the entire time.

We also plan on some relaxing time and thought we would take the kids over to Trunk Bay when we got to St. Thomas. Have you done this or have any other suggestions for a good, kid friendly day. I have to say, my boys are beach bums and swimming, snorkling and boogie boarding will keep them busy for a week!

Soxfan,

Unless there's a shorter hike than the one we took, it would be way too much for the little ones. The uphill part is mostly half an hour to 45 minutes of mostly stairs... Also, except for the waterfall, the rainforest is not much of a rainforest....more of a forest....just not like other places...hubby was not impressed....whereas I enjoy walking in any nature area.

The bus ride was pretty long and hot and pukey....but I'm not a fan of buses.

I liked visiting Old San Juan. We could do it at our own pace with the kids...It was a couple bucks to get in the forts....we walked there and back.

On St. Thomas we rented jeeps, drove up to the lookout point and then we went to Megan's Bay...great for the little ones....no waves.

Once, we went to a beach called Secret Harbor and that had really good snorkelling.

Okay, I'm so excited....my mom phoned me up this morning. They just booked a cruise to Alaska and invited me to go along. I know hubby can't go....I'll only go if I can take my daughter with me....and yes, she'd have to miss the first week of school.....Has anyone here done the Alaska cruise with their kids? Was it fun? Educational? Worth it with kids...She'll be 11.

Ports are:

Vancouver, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Wrangell

My last reply to this will be that you are all terrible parents. All of you seem to be concerned with having your vacation YOUR way and not concerned at all with what is best for your kids.

And any of you who are teachers or who talked to teachers and said it was just wonderfully fine to miss a week of school are terrible teachers and have no business in a classroom teaching. You should all be ashamed of yourself, I've read every single excuse on here trying to rationalize your poor decisions. I don't believe any of the reasons you are trying to say that it is ok to take your kids out of school. For God's sake wait until the summer. Putting your own vacation above your childs well being is terrible. I wish everyone on here would put as much into being a parent as you do trying to rationalize your blatent irresponsibility.

I think we should end this thread here and now because clearly everyone on this board is so blinded by their ambition to take their vacation when it is most convenient for them, that they don't realize how wrong of a decision they are making. It saddens me that not only do people take their kids out of school...but that they are actually proud of it. I just hope that the lessons you teach your kids are learned well and that they can somehow apply them in their bright futures of flipping hamburgers or vacuuming my office after hours.

Sblabers, respectfully, I say that everytime you post, your debating skills reveal something about your character and about the person you have become....

I find it very sad what you said about your dad.

"My dad worked for an auto company, he didn't go to college, he was in Vietnam, he wanted me to do better than him, and as proud as I am of him, I'm glad to say that I am doing better, and that is because of the lessons that were taught to me about committment and responsibility. I hope my kids to better than me, and it isn't going to happen by teaching them that they can just go on vacation whenever they want, regardless of school or any other committment".

To think that you're "better" than your dad based solely on his profession and affluence is another insight into your values.

You're right about one thing....cleaning your office sounds very unappealing. Then again perhaps they'll work in the automotive manufacturing business like their hard working dad.

Regardless of your character, your claims that 'Travelling during school=bad grades' have been refuted .... although I'm sure all your 'better' affluent friends would help you conduct some sort of scientific study on this....

My last reply to this will be that you are all terrible parents. All of you seem to be concerned with having your vacation YOUR way and not concerned at all with what is best for your kids.

And any of you who are teachers or who talked to teachers and said it was just wonderfully fine to miss a week of school are terrible teachers and have no business in a classroom teaching. You should all be ashamed of yourself, I've read every single excuse on here trying to rationalize your poor decisions. I don't believe any of the reasons you are trying to say that it is ok to take your kids out of school. For God's sake wait until the summer. Putting your own vacation above your childs well being is terrible. I wish everyone on here would put as much into being a parent as you do trying to rationalize your blatent irresponsibility.

I think we should end this thread here and now because clearly everyone on this board is so blinded by their ambition to take their vacation when it is most convenient for them, that they don't realize how wrong of a decision they are making. It saddens me that not only do people take their kids out of school...but that they are actually proud of it. I just hope that the lessons you teach your kids are learned well and that they can somehow apply them in their bright futures of flipping hamburgers or vacuuming my office after hours.

Haha, I think we've been set up. With the liberal use of absolutes, I believe sblahars is yanking our collective chain here. I can't believe that a person with such close ties to the educational system (parent, spouse) would write in absolute terms without qualifying it. These posts are inconsistent with rational thought.

Methinks sblahars merely wants to take a cruise with no youngsters on board, and is hoping to extend his influence in here. So all of you who plan to cruise with your kids, cancel those vacations so sblahars can have his private time.

"Has anyone here done the Alaska cruise with their kids? Was it fun? Educational?"

Last summer (notice, mr. s, this was DURING summer vacation) we went on the RT Inside Passage from Seattle on the Princess Sapphire. Our girl had just turned 7 and she enjoyed herself as she has on all of her cruises. During the week the kids made models of glaciers and of the solar system. Early on the Juneau morning (other ships may have do it later in the day), we cruised the Tracey Arm Strait. There's a naturalist aboard who narrates over the PA system what's seen from the ship. On our cruise, she had pointed out a bear on a beach as we sailed by. I recommend this cruise. There's also one-way cruises that you can add on a cruisetour but we didn't think our daughter would take to being on a tour bus for a long time (to get to Seattle, we took Amtrak up the west coast). Some RTs depart from Seattle, some from Vancouver. The one-ways usually start or end in Vancouver.

BTW if sblahars comes back, which he probably will,

told my hubby about what he has said. Hubby's mom was a teacher. His family did a lot of traveling when he was a kid. IHO (in his opinion) traveling is very educational. He had choice words to say about civil service (he has a civil service job as well as probably your wife) about many civil servants don't want to work hard. I hope your wife isn't like some of the employees who works where he does -- that she wants to do a good job.

Another point he mentioned has been established, that many people don't have a lot of money to spend on their vacations and if a family needs to go off-season to save money, they shouldn't be judged. And the idea that someone should change his job so he can vacation with his family during the summer is ludicrous. What if his child gets put on a year-round track? He'll need to change his job again?:confused:

Another point I want to make is that there is a lot of pressure on teachers and students (and parents) because of the "Leave No Kid Behind" testing requirement. This morning, at the high school that I attended years ago, there was a fight while kids were lined up to go in for a third day of testing. Some students claimed it was racially-caused while others mentioned the pressure of the state tests. I really feel that kids are now being taught how to take tests, rather than how to learn for the sake of learning. And now there's less time to discuss values such as being tolerant of others. The irony is that the candidate who won our city's mayoral election yesterday was scheduled to visit this school because of its academic excellence (it has won the national academic decathalon twice).

Okay, I'm so excited....my mom phoned me up this morning. They just booked a cruise to Alaska and invited me to go along. I know hubby can't go....I'll only go if I can take my daughter with me....and yes, she'd have to miss the first week of school.....Has anyone here done the Alaska cruise with their kids? Was it fun? Educational? Worth it with kids...She'll be 11.

Ports are:

Vancouver, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Wrangell

AK is wonderful

Vancouver - Don't miss Stanley Park and go to the aquarium - you can really get up close to the animals and they have some terrific educational programming. It is a very multi-cultural city. If you are sailing from BC, see if you can't get an extra day or two and make a side trip to Victoria - Provincial capitol, Buchart Gardens, great natural history museum.

Ketichikan - there is a wonderful municipal totem museum (in addition to the very nice, but more commercial ones there). If you do not have access to other lumberjack competitions, I've heard the one right off the pier in Ketchikan is pretty good. Misty Fjords or other tours are great opportunities to see wildlife and the terrain.

Juneau - visit the glaciers (price can vary from very cheap - public transportation to Mendenhal to very expensive - helo trip). We had a relative working one of the dog sled camps and get a very good deal - seeing the glaciers from the air and the terrain is the best geology lesson anyone will ever get. Hearing how EVERYTHING that goes up to the dog camps on the glaciers has to come down, is a lesson in ecology. The state capitol is simple but has some good history. There is a nice Russian Orthodox church in Juneau - since you aren't going to Sitka, it is a nice chance to look at the pre-American European influences in AK.

Skagway - Great National Park Service facility right down town. Yukon trail - gold rush - GREAT history.

By all means, take your daughter. It will be a great opp for her to spend some quality time with her grandparents.

Sblahars, if you were a little more tactful in your wording you would probably be enjoying an interesting but friendly debate about the pros and cons of pulling a child out of school. But when you call people "TERRIBLE PARENTS" and refer to any teacher supportive of their decison a "TERRIBLE TEACHER" you're just asking for it.:rolleyes: I can understand your hope that the thread get pulled. Talking down to people and saying that they're kids will flip burgers or clean your office is a downright rude and nasty thing to say. It makes you sound like a stuck up snob. You could possibly be a nice guy, but none of us would know it by your crude, disparaging remarks about someone's parenting skills when you don't even know them.:(

My parents pulled me out of school once a year every year, and I DO NOT flip burgers. I have a college degree thank you very much. My husband also traveled often as a child and was pulled out of school every year. He has a degree in civil engineering. He and I both had strict parents who administered discipline when needed. Your assumption that parents who pull their kids out of school also spoils their kids is incorrect. Your assumption that kids who are pulled out of school turn out bad and "flip burgers" or clean offices is also incorrect. I personally think that you assume too much.

You say you are concerned about the kids because we are being bad parents. Well it is hard to hear that concern when all we get are disparaging remarks and crude comments about our parenting skills. If you cleaned up your speech and stopped making such rude remarks, someone might be a little more open to hear what you're saying. But as long as you continue with your petty remarks about our parenting skills you will get nothing but grief. If you are genuinely concerned about the children, show it by KINDLY expressing that concern. Please refrain from all of the petty name calling and disparaging remarks, it's setting a bad example for the children.:cool:

thankyou Cruisin chick and Onessa.....

The narration sounds really good.

I also like the sounds of the Misty Fjords, visiting the glaciers on the dog sleds and the gold rush history.

Can you give me a little more info on these tours especially the dog sledding? Is the dog sledding excursion appropriate for an 11 year old?

DD was eight when she went on the dog sled excursion and really enjoyed it. One of the other families had an almost 13YO son who did the same trip and raved. The helo trip was great fun, walking on a glacier was cool (literally and figuratively:) ), and the dog sled ride was great - it is amazing how fast they go. They let the passengers take a turn at driving the sled as well.

I really don't want to respond more, but I do have to ask if the 8 weeks that the person above is going to be on vacation for is all during the school year. I realize that it isn't 8 weeks straight, but will all 8 weeks be during the school year?

If so, that is 1/2 of a semester. If they truly will be missing 8 weeks of school, I HAVE to know if everyone else on here who has been blasting my opinions see anything wrong with 8 weeks of school missed.

Did it ever occur to you the IslandChicklet's children are in school 12 months out of the year? And, yes, many private schools (and home-schooled children) are in session January through December. The public schools get 10 weeks of vacation during the summer and one week off during Christmas holidays and ususally one week off in the spring; so that makes a total of 12 weeks during the years (not to mention the day her and there for other holidays). So, 8 weeks is actually shorting them if they are in school the whole year.

I certainly concur with you about children learning the value of commitment and responsibility. BUT, my mother taught me one thing that I will never forget: never judge anyone until you have walked a mile in his/her shoes. Have you walked a mile in mine? In any poster's on this board? No, I think not. My DH is a cop. Others' spouses are in similar professions that have vacations that do not coincide with their own. Others simply cannot afford a cruise during the summer. So, that makes us bad parents? I think not. I'll have you know that my son is a straight A student. And, my daughter can add and subtract at age 2. And, they say their "pleases" and "thank-yous" and "excuse me's" and "sir" and "ma'am" and "may I." Need I go on? Just because some of us choose to take our kids on vacation when you don't doesn't mean we are bad parents or are lazy or are selfish. Quite the contrary: if we didn't take our kids our of school during the year for ONE VACATION, we would have no vacation at all. I suggest you re-think you position.

Wow -- what great information about shore excursions for Alaska and the Caribbean. Don't forget to save time for whale watching in Juneau!;)

Does anyone have any suggestions for great family shore excursions for Canada/New England? We will be in Martha's Vineyard, Portland, Bar Harbor, Saint John (NB), and Halifax (in September, and don't worry, we home school, so the kids won't be missing any class time:D )

It effects me personally because my wife and mother in law are both teachers. And when this happens, it creates so much more stress in her life which effects me. She has been a teacher for 4 years.

Wow four whole years... I soooooo impresses (read the sarcasm here) I Have been a teacher for 12 years!!!!! I was forced to pull a child out of the public school district due to their inability to teach a kindergarten student with a 5 grade math ability and a mind that was not typical for a kindergarten student. I was forced to pull out an intelligent 11 year old girl for the fact that her classmates made fun of her because she was smart and could answer questons. That gave her fellow classmates the right to called her horrible names and throw their dirty gym clothes on her. AND that IS the American school system!

I was proud to believe in public education until I was forced to see the ulginess within. I am now proud to be homeschooling my children. Let me hear what you have to say after 10 years in the system...

Sorry but how DARE you call anyone a "terrible parent"! I just think you are jelous for your inability to take control of your children's education and gain control of your family life.

and that's my 2 cents!

Does anyone have any suggestions for great family shore excursions for Canada/New England? We will be in Martha's Vineyard, Portland, Bar Harbor, Saint John (NB), and Halifax (in September, and don't worry, we home school, so the kids won't be missing any class time:D )

We most enjoyed the fort in Halifax. Some good reenactors (sp????), interesting history, and a very nice view. The glass blowers in Halifax were also very interesting - if you can find out when they are actively blowing and can be there go for it. Halifax is pretty well suited for your own walking tour - study up before hand. The surrounding area was very pretty - we just rented a car for a few hours, I heard mixed reviews from the other pax about the official excursions.

Okay...so, my daughter and I are booked!

Can anyone tell me if the kid's programs on NCL include anything tailored to the Alaska theme? Such as kids narrators, activities.....my daughter is 11. She generally doesn't like the programs...she does LOVE nature and I'm hoping this would encourage her to participate more.

Dog sledding is out......the dream was squashed when I realized it was over $400.....each....yikes....but I found some excursions I know she'll enjoy.

Wow you think that a teacher get all upset to do this small favor, I think there is a fine line here. Many kids get sick for long periods of time and teachers send home homework, so are they going to say it's ok here and not there, (the parents chose the dates not the kids) an understand teacher will not have an issue.

Okay, I'm coming in on this late, but I'm a teacher and I'll throw out my opinion about this "small favor":

What drives me nuts is that I put together packets of work (often with very little notice), and the great majority of students DO NOT DO THE WORK. Most of them do none of it -- literally none. Some sort of run over the high points, doing the quicky-worksheet type things and neglecting the more time consuming work. I've been teaching 14 years, and I'd guestimate that fewer than 10% of the students who vacation during the school year actually make up ALL their missed work.

I do a great deal to help my students, but I DO mind jumping through hoops for people who do not take advantage of the help I provide.

As for sick kids, well, that isn't really a big problem. This school year I had one girl who had mono for an extended period of time -- that's it. One student this year. Last school year I had one pregnant student who was out a month after giving birth. One student last year. As a high school teacher, I teach about 150-180 students per year (3 classes fall semester, 3 classes spring semester, average 25-30 per class). Protracted illnesses just aren't that common amongst children. Also, in my personal experience, sick kids tend to make up their work at a higher rate than vacationing kids. The vacation tends to put the kids into a "time off" mentality. Sickness doesn't have the same mindset.

In addition, kids who miss classes also miss things that can't be xeroxed and placed into an envelope: they miss class discussions, explainations of the reading, etc. Missing large number of days will look bad if your child wants to apply for yearbook staff or student council next year. At my school, kids who miss more than five days cannot exempt their final exams (regardless of their class grade). There is always "a cost" to missing school; you may decide that the vacation /family time is worth the cost, but don't tell yourself that a child can miss a solid week without any effect.

Having said that, I'm not holding a hard line against NEVER taking a child out of school. If the school year is genuinely the ONLY time you can enjoy a family vacation, then it might be a good choice. If you feel it's the best option for your family, here are my recommendations:

1. Understand that your child will lose something by missing a week of school; you can take action to minimize that loss, but something will be lost.

2. Choose the best possible week. My school system's calendar is published three years in advance, so it's very possible to choose a week that contains fall break or an end-of-term teacher workday. Doing this means that your child misses only three days instead of five, yet your family can do a whole week's vacation.

3. Make sure that your child makes up the work! All of it. On time. Don't accept, "I didn't understand the concept of _____" as an answer. Be willing to help, if necessary.

We take our children out once a year to cruise with us. I do wait until the school calendar comes out so we can better ensure our cruise dates do not interfere with major school functions. I also talk to the teachers as soon as possible so they are aware & can provide input as to how to handle the time away. Some teachers opted not to send homework, but most sent a packet for the kids to work on while we were out.

I do not believe that the public education system is, or should be, the end-all to ensuring the well-being of our children. Parents should remain the primary advocate of the children (as another poster put it so well!).

My parents took me & my siblings out of school for vacations. All 6 of us have been blessed with very successful and fruitful lives - living proof that missing a few days of school will not result in permant scars for the rest of one's life.

My DH & I are at a point in our lives where we are able to enjoy vacations with our children. We cruise in October & ski over Spring Break. My DH & I both have extended family "across the miles" so holidays & summer vacations are spent with relatives as we have found it too difficult to get together during the school year due to clashing schedules. We are at liberty to make these personal family decisions because we live in the land of the free!

My children are very bright & consistently on the A or A/B Honor Roll. They also are very involved in church activities and sports. I will continue to allow & encourage them to experience all the things I believe will help them grow, learn, and become more well-rounded. Afterall, nobody knows whats best for my child better than me! ;)

Mrs Pete, thank you for a well thought out response to this debate. The only comment I will make is that in elementary school, even the missed daily work is pretty easy to catch up on. (At least in our school system) Its when they get to high school that the problems start. Lectures and experiments are very hard to catch up on and does put the teacher in a more difficult spot to make the effort to get the work complete. I say enjoy the school year family vacations while you can because it will only get harder as the years go on.

Yes, Mrs. Pete, your points aren't argued on here. The parents on this forum have all agreed highschool and even middle school is much different than elementary. My husband is a highschool principal and we would never take "our" kids out in their highschool years. Because my husband is an educator we fully understand the downfalls of taking them out of school. We have daily "reading time" no matter what, summer/weekends/no excuses. We're very committed to our childrens' educations. And I agree, there are no "worksheets" or handouts in highschool. Highschoolers need to bring their locker of books and that may just put them over the weight limit on the planes - LOL. We have a window of another year where we can take our kids out and then then our oldest will be entering highschool. I was chronically ill as a child and missed on average 7-10 days a month. If I didn't think they could make up the work before or within the time frame specified I wouldn't even consider taking them out. My kids understand "work before play" and they are an example to me. Not to get all religious on anyone, but for the last 3 years we have read scriptures every night together as a family. We have NEVER missed a night. We went to Disneyland and we read in the a.m. before entering the park while in the car. We have them in our Palm Pilots so we can pull them up whereever we are. Our children understand goals, committments, and priorities. My 12 yr. old takes them with her when she has sleepovers. Like I said, my kids are examples to me.

First let me say my son is NOT in high school, I believe it IS hard for them to miss school at that age. I DO look to see if there is a day off during the fall when we go, believe it or not Halloween is only a 1/2 so we take that to our advantage. It is the PARENTS and STUDENTS responsibility to make sure they get the homework done, and this last year the teacher gave him the choice of taking it with him or doing it when he came back (he was given a week to do the lessons) So instead of watching tv for a week he did his extra homework. I deal with small distractions (in the mortage business)and go the extra mile to make people happy, and when I go on vacation someone has to do MY job, they may not like it but we all need a break, and when I get back I have to play catch up and take work home, so in reality we all put someone out. Never assume that every family is the same, we all make choices that we feel is best for "US"

Mrs. Pete, thanks for the constructive criticism. You may not agree completely with some of the parents decisions, but you were fair and non judgemental and I appreciate that. You even gave the parents pointers on how to proceed if they do decide to take their kids out of school. That's the type of discussion I appreciate.:)

I think the reason the discussion became so heated with SBLAHARS was because he was constantly saying nasty things to the parents on this thread. If he had a legitimate point, it never got across because of his harsh words and judgemental comments. When you tell people you've never met that they are "terrible parents" and that they will raise children who will " flip burgers and vacuum the floors" in your office it's only going to raise h*ll. I told him that if he really cared about the kids he should try to be a little less harsh and critical of others. Instead of judging others he could have given us suggestions to help us instead of tearing us down and criticizing us. But obviously he really didn't care about the kids or he would have taken my words to heart.:(

If feel better after reading your comment because I already do the things you suggested. Of course, two of my best friends are teachers and I am head of the PTO so I've already gotten a lot of good advice.;)

Archived